Noisy new Plextors, how to slow down?

Hi,
I have opted for two Plextor CD DVD do it all read write including DVD-RAM (vital is the ram) units as part of my new PC spec. Always liked Plextors, efficient and quiet, especially when playing music, they whirr away for 20 secs then quieten down and you dont hear them playing, just the music.
As it should be !
Until these two that is. PX-820SA are these, and they just keep making a whooshing noisy fan or motor sound as if running at full pelt ! :sad:
Sat here my left ear is listening to this racket from the Plextor, and my right ear the music. Totally unacceptable.
They dont need to run at this silly speed for music playing, burning a disc perhaps but not to play a CD. The unit gets hot and so does my CD, thats not good for my CD. Both of them are the same.
I seem to remember someone saying you can get software that controls the CD units speed for different functions. Is this true . Nero I think was mentioned. Any suggestions ?
Very disappointed, Plextor have lost the plot, more focused on getting a few secs less in transfer speed or burn speed and ruining the audio experience than quality. They even look and feel crap. I didnt even look at a review, just went by past experience and trust. Now looking at reviews no mention is made of noise factor in the comparisons.
What can I install to control their speed ? What a crazy situation.:a
DBenz

Very disappointed, Plextor have lost the plot, more focused on getting a few secs less in transfer speed or burn speed and ruining the audio experience than quality. They even look and feel crap. I didnt even look at a review, just went by past experience and trust.

Plextor no longer makes burners they just re-badge others. The glory days of well built and engineered drives is long gone, thanks in part to the cheap and cheaply made Lite-ons. That said it might actually be an Optiarc AD-7200 (with Plex firmware though) which many feel is an excellent drive.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters/plextor-px-820sa/2443

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/new-drives-px-820a-px-820sa-245262/

The program you seek is Nero [B]DriveSpeed[/B].

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html

I have an Optiarc 7200, I just tried playing a CD and you are correct it’s very noisy. The same CD in my Pioneer 115D was whisper quiet. I just tried Nero DriveSpeed on the 7200. I simply hit the ‘Silent’ tab. Works like a charm, it’s now [B]dead[/B] silent.

Mystic Eyes,
Many thanks indeed for that. I am bloody fuming :a that Plextor, a name I trusted, enough to want to buy blind and use in a pc being built for me, so something I can’t just pull out myself, now no longer make decent drives and rebadge others, and furthermore dont care if the others they use are loud as such ruining the use for whcih they can be put to and cooking Cd’s in the process.
Their drives should declare such, beware not a true Plextor and bloody noisy and hot with it.
I now have to see what can be done to remedy this situation. If my company are happy for the use of controlling software, then thats half the battle, but how will it be for when I do dvd-ram video transfer, will it slow that down, I dont want to have an earfull whilst thats going on, and I can be doing that for hours on end. I want performance as on the last pc where I had an LG for dvd-ram, and a plextor for cd/dvd paly/burn and whisper quiet. If the Nero software allows performance and a decent speed as I am used to, then I could go with that and live with the crap build quality.
What might I expect to experience performance wise I wonder ?

I still feel cheated and have a good mind to throw these back at Plextor and demand my money back and payment for any work my company have to do to replace them.

Plextor once :bow: and now :a :sad:

DBenz

Well don’t feel too bad, they at least picked a highly regarded drive.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Optiarc-AD-7200A-DVD-Burner-Review/

[I]To sum up, this is what we would say:

“The Optiarc AD-7200A is blisteringly fast when writing DVD±R media and writing quality across all media groups is generally excellent. [B]It’s a must have drive[/B]”

We were very impressed by the Optiarc AD-7200A writing quality and performance. We decided to award the drive our “[B]CD Freaks Editor’s Choice Award”[/B].[/I]

If my company are happy for the use of controlling software, then thats half the battle, but how will it be for when I do dvd-ram video transfer, will it slow that down,

No. You can just set the CD read speed lower and not touch the DVD speed. And you can go back to fast easily if you want to.

The only bad part is the Optiarc can be had for about $25. :frowning: