Noise Problem with Liteon 851s

vbimport

I’m having this odd problem. Sometimes when I put blank media, an already burnt disc, or a regular dvd into my dvd burner, it will make a horrible noise when it tries to read the disc. It will spin up and tehn make this sort of grinding noise (it sounds like a duck quacking like it were dying). But this isnt the first drive this has happened with. I previously had a plextor cd-rw drive before buying this drive. I had bought this new drive mainly because I thought my Plextor was dead. Everytime I would put a disc in it, it would make this horrible noise. It would spin up and then it would make the dead duck quacking noise, spin up, then make the noise. And it would keep doing it. Sometimes (and I emphasize sometimes) it would read a disc where I could actually burn it. But now I seem to be having this problem with the new drive, the Lite on 851s. I’m not sure if there is some sort of connection bewteen the two or not. I have the lite on drive set as secondary master. The previous time this lite on drive made that noise i tried rebooting and then shutting off my computer but that iddnt work. So i had to uninstall it all together and that seemed to fix the problem, for now. But like I said I havent any idea what is causing it. Here are my system specs

P4 2.4B 533 processor
Intel Mobo D845GEBV2
20 gig western digital HD Primary master
40 gig WD HD primary slave
80 gig WD HD (hooked up to controller card)
CD-ROM Drive Secondary Slave
Lite On 851s Secondary Master
Windows XP SP1
768 MB of pc2700 ddr333 ram

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem (not only with this drive) with any Optical burning drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

I just want to update by saying the noise sounds like a grating noise

One mroe update to the post… I’m not sure if in each case of each optical drive if it was the Sony CD-R media i was using either. I know this media isnt supported on the lite on 851s but i have had successful burns with it, no coasters and I dont think media would do this to this drive or even the old one but i thought id post it as a possibility. I had used the sony cd-r media with my old plextor for years without any problems and I’m not sure what caused that drive to shit the bucket, but it did. Anyway, also, could it be the type of software installed on the computer? I have nero and alcohol 120 and those are the same programs I had with the plextor. Also, I had never formatted this computer since switching drives and Im not sure if that might be a permanent fix for this drive (i plan on formatting after school is over) Anyway, Ill shut up now since ive talked and written a novel. Thanks for reading this far =)

Originally posted by MaskdMayo
[B]I’m having this odd problem. Sometimes when I put blank media, an already burnt disc, or a regular dvd into my dvd burner, it will make a horrible noise when it tries to read the disc. It will spin up and tehn make this sort of grinding noise (it sounds like a duck quacking like it were dying). But this isnt the first drive this has happened with. I previously had a plextor cd-rw drive before buying this drive. I had bought this new drive mainly because I thought my Plextor was dead. Everytime I would put a disc in it, it would make this horrible noise. It would spin up and then it would make the dead duck quacking noise, spin up, then make the noise. And it would keep doing it. Sometimes (and I emphasize sometimes) it would read a disc where I could actually burn it. But now I seem to be having this problem with the new drive, the Lite on 851s. I’m not sure if there is some sort of connection bewteen the two or not. I have the lite on drive set as secondary master. The previous time this lite on drive made that noise i tried rebooting and then shutting off my computer but that iddnt work. So i had to uninstall it all together and that seemed to fix the problem, for now. But like I said I havent any idea what is causing it. Here are my system specs

P4 2.4B 533 processor
Intel Mobo D845GEBV2
20 gig western digital HD Primary master
40 gig WD HD primary slave
80 gig WD HD (hooked up to controller card)
CD-ROM Drive Secondary Slave
Lite On 851s Secondary Master
Windows XP SP1
768 MB of pc2700 ddr333 ram

[/B]

Try in another computer or maybe disconnect some of the other drives - you’re putting quite a load on that power supply and insufficient power can do all sorts of strange things. It seems strange that two drives from different manufacturers would develop the same problem.

[B]
Has anyone else ever experienced this problem (not only with this drive) with any Optical burning drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

I just want to update by saying the noise sounds like a grating noise

[/B]

If you make a search for “grinding”, you will find many posts with same issue. :cool:

I had this problem myself. Reverting firmware to earlier version solved it.

BTW, this issue will not be solved by putting your drive in an other compu as dentman42 suggested. :slight_smile:

I know it isnt my power supply cause it is 420 watts I suppose i should have posted that =\ Also pinto2, is the problem other people have had the same exact problem ive had? I mean almost the same exact thing? Cause Ill definitely look around for info on it. Thanks for the replies guys

\ Also pinto2, is the problem other people have had the same exact problem ive had? I mean almost the same exact thing? Cause Ill definitely look around for info on it. Thanks for the replies guys

A search for grinding will give you 30 topics and hundreds of posts.

If you take your time reading them, I´m sure you will get “some” answers.

:smiley:

Well I wasn’t able to find anything specifically related to what problem I’m having. A couple came close but then they unhacked their burner and it worked fine or theyu just got a new one that still didnt work for them without having the problem solved. So this sucks some big iraqi balls =\ Thanks for your help thougy

Hey again. I hope that people with grinding problems will read this. As I noted earlier in this post, if i would put any media in my dvd burner, it would make that same horrible grinding noise that my old drive made. And when it did this, it would not read the contents of the cd or dvd. I tried a million things and yetserday decided to try the one thing I hadnt tried yet, which was switching the Intel Ide Dual Controller (for the primary/secondary cannels) and making them the Standard Dual MS controller. Now, since then, my drive seems to be working normally! I have burned stuff and read stuff in the drive constantly for about the past day and it seems to be working fine (knock on wood). But if there are any people out htere with similar problems, try making that change from the Intel/VIA dual controller to the Standard MS controller (there are many posts that explain how to do it). Hopefully this keeps working for me. Thanks agian for all the help.