Noise of ND2500-A - Help please

vbimport

I just bought this NEC drive and I am having the following problems:

1. The drive is making a “ticking” noise (3-4 times) when it is accessed on booting and when it is accessed from inside the windows xp while multitasking. Is it a defective drive?

2. I have a CDRW on the Secondary master (IDE) and I put this NEC on the Secondary Slave. In this specification CD had DMA on but NEC had DMA off. When I reversed the drives then NEC had DMA on and CDRW had DMA off (I found out from Nero infoTool). In the booting section, however, the screen posted by BIOS says that both drives are UDMA 2. (I have an ASUS P4PE mobo).

3. Another problem is that when I am going to device manager there is no Settings Tab under any drive or IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers. Therefore I cannot find anywhere a checkbox for DMA.

4. I tried to write on NEWEGG DVD-R which are actually Ritek G04 and all DVD’s were full of errors (checked that with DVDinfopro).

Could anybody help me with anyone of my problems?

Thanks

Ritek problems? See: http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=76

Originally posted by Herrie
Ritek problems? See: http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=76

Hi Herrie.

But that says that media sold as Ridisc, Ridata, Traxdata & Datasafe should be Grade A media. Newegg is selling Ridata media so, according to that source, Newegg’s media should be grade A. I can’t see any visible blemishes on any of them.

For what it’s worth, I also purchased a lot of that media from NewEgg and I’m having a horrible time with it. I discovered on http://www.dvdrhelp.com that there are at least three different variations of Ritek’s G04 media. The one I got was the final one listed. It seems that those who post glowing reports of the wonderful Ritek G04s are getting some of the other two choices.

My burner is the TDK version of the NEC ND1300a.

d.

Latest firmware versions seem to have problems with RITEKG04 anyway. I would recommend 108v4 for TDK!

Hi all…

I’ve had no problems with the Ritek -R media I got from NewEgg a few days ago. It writes and reads fine to my NEC 2500 without errors or slow downs, verified by DVDinfo pro and Nero speed.

The media has the NewEgg label with a GO3/L19 serial #. But DVD info reads it as a GO4 4x disc.

My NEC ND-2500 was built Feb 2004, 1.06 FW.

Mine does the tick tick tick thing too when theres no media in the drive if you cycle the tray. If theres media it’s pretty quiet unless it can’t read it then it ticks, probably trying to scan the disk to read and the PUH going back and forth. As far as I know theres nothing wrong with mine except it’s a picky reader and doesn’t like most of the cheap Riteks mentioned.

Originally posted by brgreg
3. Another problem is that when I am going to device manager there is no Settings Tab under any drive or IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers. Therefore I cannot find anywhere a checkbox for DMA…

Go to Device Manager, Right click on a specific IDE channel, click Properties, go to the Advanced Settings tab, make sure the transfer mode is “DMA if available”. Repeat for the second channel.

Thank you wesociety for the info and all the other guys.

However, regarding the DMA problem there is no Advance Settings Tab in either the Primary IDE or the Secondary IDE channel properties in my computer. Only General, Driver and Resources. I know that it should be there.

Doing a little more research I found out two things:
First, it might be no Advance Settings tab due to an installation of a driver not “signed” by MS.
Second, If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device. However, there is a hotfix released by MS that increases the errors from 6 to 10.

My last resort is to format the disk and reinstall windows.

Thanks everybody and please let me know if you know something more on the DMA problem.

Your motherboard BIOS also has DMA settings.
Check your BIOS to make sure that DMA is enabled at that level.

In my motheboard (ASUS P4PE) both atapi devices are set to auto, with DMA mode 2 and PIO, I think 4. I tried to set one device (my cdrw) to a “cdrom” or “other atapi device” and change the DMA mode to 3 or any other value (0-5) but then the computer brings an error and takes me to the BIOS. Should I set the PIO to something else? Asus uses Award BIOS.

Thanks

Originally posted by Herrie
Latest firmware versions seem to have problems with RITEKG04 anyway. I would recommend 108v4 for TDK!

I’m using 108v4B from your site, Herrie. It does allow me to write to the media with the TDK, but the results are full of read errors.

According to the DVDRHelp site at ( http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia.php?selectmedia=94#comments ) there are three different media codes, all having the G04 nomenclature. Should the 108v4 firmware work equally with all of them?

Mine appears to be the third variety. I contacted one person who reported good luck with the G04’s (he used a NEC 1300) and he had the first media code shown below. Not sure what firmware he had.

00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 35 0E 0B .B…@…R…5…
FE FF 80 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 47 00 04 30 34 00 …RITEKG…04.
00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 06 0F 12 …
or
00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 65 0E 0B .B…@…R…e…
FE FF 80 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 47 00 04 30 34 00 …RITEKG…04.
00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 06 0F 12 …
or
00 42 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 76 0E 14 .B…@…R…v…
88 9A 80 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 47 00 04 30 34 00 …RITEKG…04.
00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 01 00 06 08 12 11 …

d.

@brgreg,
Is your burner writing at the correctly selected speeds?
(Does a 4X burn take 15 minutes?) If so you don’t have a DMA problem.

If not, are you using an 80 wire (UDMA) IDE cable?
Also, make sure the jumper pins on your optical drives are set manually to Master and Slave. Don’t use cable select.

You can also try uninstalling the IDE channel drivers and then rebooting.

sounds like he may have Intel Application Accelerator loaded.

Good point Kirbster.
Uninstall Intel Application Accelarator if you are using it!
This has been known to cause issues with all DVD writers.

Thank you wesociety and Kirbster.

I unistalled the Intel Application Accelerator and now I have the advanced settings tab in both primary and secondary IDE channels and both cdrw and NEC 2500A have DMA on.

Thank you guys

Thanks you guys now i hear small clicks esp when the dvd is done burning and reading it finalizing…THANKS ALOT!!!:bigsmile:
Great burner otherwise…
This drive is super quiet even alot quieter then my p-o-chit plex 708a…“wooosh” as it spins up!!!