Noise from LiteOn Drive

vbimport

My Liteon DVD writer occasionally makes a weird noise just prior to burning an audio disc, now I don’t mean the noise they normally make when spinning and burning, this noise is intermittent and normally only happens the once then after that if I burn again the same day without turning off the computer there is no noise prior to the burning process.

For instance I did a Nero speed test, and during the spin up I heard the loudest noise I have ever heard from a DVD writer, it only happens for a couple of seconds, then during the burn it’s fine.

This leads me to think that perhaps the centre spindle that holds the disc in place isn’t always holding it correctly, then during a normal spin it falls into place, and this is the noise I may be hearing, and the times I don’t hear this noise is when the CD is fitting on the centre spindle correctly after closing the drawer.

Does this all seem viable?

I don’t know about your drive as you didn’t mention what model it was but some
of the older Liteon drives had some I believe it was some kind of ball bearings if
I’m not mistaken that spun up to balance the disc when it first started to spin up
and made a really funny noise kind of like a swoosh or something like that. :confused:

[QUOTE=getit29;2572179]I don’t know about your drive as you didn’t mention what model it was but some
of the older Liteon drives had some I believe it was some kind of ball bearings if
I’m not mistaken that spun up to balance the disc when it first started to spin up
and made a really funny noise kind of like a swoosh or something like that. :confused:[/QUOTE]

My Liteon drive is ATAPI iHAP122 9 Firmware Version 6L0H