Nod32 $19.99

NOD32 OEM single license $19.99 shipped
Today only.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832114005&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL031709&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL031709--Software--LP2A-_-32114005

Promo code :
EMCLPMV62

Thanks for the notice!

Great app. Been using it since last August. Newegg has this deal only a few times per year…

for paying ones i think NOD32 is the best out there and this seems like a solid price :wink:

although when you can get FREE alternatives that are generally pretty good to… it’s hard to choose a paying one over a free one overall.

p.s. i personally use the FREE Avira Anti-Virus (Avast SUCKS as it kills resources and AVG aint bad but Avira seems to be the lightest on resources between those three) … it’s only side effect is after each virus definition update (usually daily) it has a small popup but you can simply get out of it by clicking OK or closing the window.

I’ve been running Nod32 version 3 on my system for about a year now and so far I’ve been very happy with how little effect it has on the system performance. On my older AMD XP3000, applications appear to launch just as quick with the virus checker running as with it disabled. :slight_smile:

The following is some stop-watch timings I carried out last April on the same day when my system was very cluttered (running various services). Unfortunately, I forgot to take note of the software versions I was using as I was doing this for my own use to see how Avast compared to the Nod32 trial version at the time, but it gives an idea of how they compared at the time. With how often Virus checkers update their versions, these timings may no longer be that accurate now:

Timings - No Antivirus / Avast Home / Nod32 Av:

[ul]
[li]Boot from BIOS beep to Desktop icons show - 38s / 46s / 40s[/li][li]Boot from BIOS beep to Desktop & HDD LED stops blinking - 1m21s / 1m43s / 1m12s (AVG : 2m00s)[/li][li]Microsoft Word 2003 - 1.7s / 2.6s / 1.5s[/li][li]IE7 launch until Google home page shows - 3.8s / 4.6s / 4s[/li][li]Gimp 2.4 - 8s / 13s / 8.4s[/li][li]Thunderbird - 7s / 11.5s / 7s[/li][li]OpenOffice 2.4 Writer - 8s / 11.7s / 7.4s[/li][li]Newsrover - 6s / 6s / 6s[/li][li]Firefox launch until Google home page shows - 5s / 6.8s / 5.4s/[/li][li]Read all files in System32 dir (DOS: copy * /b nul) - 25s / 23.4s / 30s[/li][li]RAM usage (after full boot): 383MB / 480MB / 412MB[/li][/ul]

I do remember AVG having longer timings than Avast, especially for the OS boot time, but unfortunately I lost the timings for the application launches. On the other hand they were likely based on AVG Free’s earlier v7.5.

Unfortunately Nod32 does one irritating drawback, in that there are some executables it really struggles with while copying. For example, the System Information for Windows (SIW.exe - 1.5MB file) executable takes 10 seconds to copy from one drive letter to another on that AMD system. During this time the ekrn.exe process (part of Nod32) shows 99% CPU usage in the task manager. At least it doesn’t affect the launching of the affected software, for example, SIW will launch straight way.

For some reason nod32 AV Version 4 doesn’t get on well with Thunderbird on my system, so I’ve stuck with version 3 for now. At least unlike some AV companies, they just charge for the subscription and not for each new version also.

[QUOTE=NBR;2239558]p.s. i personally use the FREE Avira Anti-Virus (Avast SUCKS as it kills resources and AVG aint bad but Avira seems to be the lightest on resources between those three) … it’s only side effect is after each virus definition update (usually daily) it has a small popup but you can simply get out of it by clicking OK or closing the window.[/QUOTE]Same here but i only started using it when i loaded Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit a year or so ago. Was the first 64 bit anti-virus i tried and i stayed with it ever since. I have no idea how well Avira works on 32 bit OS’s.

Now Sean posted all that info and never mentioned what OS or if he was using 32 or 64 bit version…

[QUOTE=Bob;2239639]Now Sean posted all that info and never mentioned what OS or if he was using 32 or 64 bit version…[/QUOTE]
Oops, I thought I mentioned. :doh:

I’m using Windows XP Professional 32-bit (service pack 2 at that time). The main PC specs were 2GB RAM, 74GB OS SATA HDD, 320GB WD Caviar IDE HDD, 1TB Hitachi SATA HDD, Asus A7N8X-E motherboard and AMD XP3000+ CPU.

[QUOTE=Seán;2239648]Oops, I thought I mentioned. :doh:

I’m using Windows XP Professional 32-bit (service pack 2 at that time). The main PC specs were 2GB RAM, 74GB OS SATA HDD, 320GB WD Caviar IDE HDD, 1TB Hitachi SATA HDD, Asus A7N8X-E motherboard and AMD XP3000+ CPU.[/QUOTE]Was just joking with you :slight_smile:

Says $29.99 after $10 off.:frowning:

Promo code did not take any off for me either…offer must have expired already?

[QUOTE=Roadhog;2239939]Promo code did not take any off for me either…offer must have expired already?[/QUOTE]

The promo codes only work for newegg newsletter subscribers

Newegg St. Patrick’s Day 24-hour Sale
Promo codes were effective 12:00am PT - 11:59pm PT on 03/17/2009

V4 is out now for 32 bit and 64 bit OS. They are getting rid of all the V3 discs. I wonder if its updradable to V4? I have a Kaspersky Internet Security License for 2 years so I cant buy it.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2239989]V4 is out now for 32 bit and 64 bit OS. They are getting rid of all the V3 discs. I wonder if its updradable to V4? I have a Kaspersky Internet Security License for 2 years so I cant buy it.;)[/QUOTE]
Yes, the propaganda said that V4 was available for free, via download with this license.
Newegg has run this same special on V3 periodically, ever since V3 was available.

It’s back on sale for $19.99, the retail version this time. ($29.99 w/free shipping plus another $10 off for newsletter subscribers with promo code [B]EMCLPNR73[/B]).

[QUOTE=NBR;2239558]
p.s. i personally use the FREE Avira Anti-Virus (Avast SUCKS as it kills resources and AVG aint bad but Avira seems to be the lightest on resources between those three) … it’s only side effect is after each virus definition update (usually daily) it has a small popup but you can simply get out of it by clicking OK or closing the window.[/QUOTE]

not saying this is the most honest thing, folks should pay for the pro version & support the developers if they want to get rid of the pop up permanently…but just in case they wanted to go down this route and get rid of the pop up for a trial period of time =)

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm

[QUOTE=RWP;2243173]It’s back on sale for $19.99, the retail version this time. ($29.99 w/free shipping plus another $10 off for newsletter subscribers with promo code [B]EMCLPNR73[/B]).[/QUOTE]
I’ve been buyin’ 'em for gifts off and on.
This time I bagged one for myself, thanks RWP :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=adderal;2243243]not saying this is the most honest thing, folks should pay for the pro version & support the developers if they want to get rid of the pop up permanently…but just in case they wanted to go down this route and get rid of the pop up for a trial period of time =)

http://www.elitekiller.com/files/disable_antivir_nag.htm[/QUOTE]
I’ve got AntiVir on one machine and I hate that that friggin pop-up.
Thanks for the “recipe” :flower: