No Writers Detected

[qanda]This thread is about the NEC 16x DVD-ROM E-IDE / ATAPI. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have been using my Nec ND 3520AW for a couple years now, until recently I got infected with some viruses and now my DVD RW is not being detected by Windows at all. It can still read and play CD/DVD, but I cannot burn DVD/CD because the writer is not being detected. Even after cleaning up my computer of the viruses, it’s still not working. I usually use ImgBurn to do the burning. And this is the log of ImgBurn everytime I start it up…

I 23:13:33 ImgBurn Version 2.4.4.0 started!
I 23:13:33 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
I 23:13:33 Total Physical Memory: 1,046,960 KB - Available: 556,104 KB
I 23:13:33 Initialising SPTI…
I 23:13:33 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
E 23:13:36 CreateFile Failed! - Device: ‘\.\CdRom0’ (D:)
E 23:13:36 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.
E 23:13:38 CreateFile Failed! - Device: ‘\.\CdRom1’ (F:)
E 23:13:38 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.
W 23:13:38 Errors were encountered when trying to access 2 drives.
W 23:13:38 These drives will not be visible in the program.
W 23:13:38 No devices detected!

I have searched and tried everything and I cannot get it to work again. Any infos will be much appreciated.

@ impulseg112,

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately you have a Computer Virus.

Suggest reviewing the below ImgBurn Forum posting ->

At the ImgBurn Forum there is another more detailed Forum posting concerning the same problem ->

Also suggest reviewing the below referenced recent CD Freaks Forum posting by Forum Member Doofie and note that he had success with using Avast (http://www.avast.com) to remove the Computer Virus ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/after-convertx-neither-dvd-works-275850

Regards,
bjkg

bjkg,

Thank you so much for replying. Indeed, I had a virus hidden somewhere in my computer. My anti virus program and malwarebyte couldn’t detect it. After installing Avast, like you recommended, it found a hidden file kungfueghr.sys.
After removing it, windows detects my CD burner again. Thanks again for the help.