No video capture from Sony Handycam DCR-HC26

vbimport

Hi,

I am unable to get Windows MovieMaker 2 to recognize my Sony Handycam DCR-HC26 as a video capture device.

My setup:

Handycam is connected to an IEEE 1394 Firewire CardBus PCMCIA card via a 6-4pin Firewire Cable plugged into its 4pin DV port – which is described in the manual as a “DV interface (i.LINK)”.

CardBus in inserted into the card slot and is “working properly” according to Windows’ Add Hardware Wizard.

I am running Windows XP Professional, SP2.

The Handycam is turned on.

The Handycam is in Play/Edit mode.

The Handycam is being powered by its power cable to an outlet (not its battery).

There is a tape in the Handycam with contents recorded on it.

Windows MovieMaker 2 is open and running.

… when I click “Capture from video device”, MovieMaker 2 says “A video capture device was not detected. Verify that the device is turned on and connected properly, and then try again”.

Please help. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Many, many thanks!!!

Paul

Many times it is best to not have the software up and running, and to do things in the following steps.

1. hook up your firewire cable to your camcorder
  2. with camcorder powered off, hook camcorder up to pc
  3. turn on camcorder
  4. a windows popup box should appear, with a list of video apps which should be capable of capturing video. Select one, and proceed to capturing…

If you are trying to capture dv-avi, have you installed a dv codec such as the panasonic dv codec?
If problems continue, try virtualvcr, huffyuv, or some other capture program.

Hi

What other options do have on your Sony Camcorder besides ‘Play/Edit’ mode?

NBK

Thanks for the replies …

harley2ride,

I tried the steps mentioned, but no Windows popup came.

How do I know if I am capturing what you describe as “dv-avi”? Is this something non-standard? And if I need a special DV codec, where do I get that (this is why I’m posting in the newbie section). :slight_smile:

I installed VirtualVCR from sourceforge.net, and it says “Sorry, you have no video capture hardware”.

NBK,

There is Camera mode. There is an “EASY” mode, which offers slightly different menu options when Off verses On. For example, I can set USB Streaming to On when this EASY mode is Off. But of course, I heard that USB transfer of video is not a good idea because of the slow speed.

Any ideas?

Is Sony expecting a special i.LINK cable to make this work? Is that a 4pin cable that is non-standard?

Paul

Also … the Ulead VideoStudio 6 program that came with my IEEE 1394 CardBus adapter says that it cannot connect to any “video capture driver”.

What is this video capture driver? The CardBus adapter hardware itself is correctly installed with a driver that Windows says is up-to-date. Is this video capture driver something separate? If so I’m not sure why it would not come with the software and CardBus adapter installation CD – that would be pretty cheezy.

Any ideas?

Anyone?

Paul

[QUOTE=psumares;2118214]Hi,
My setup:
Handycam is connected to an IEEE 1394 Firewire CardBus PCMCIA card via a 6-4pin Firewire Cable plugged into its 4pin DV port – which is described in the manual as a “DV interface (i.LINK)”.
Paul[/QUOTE]

Hi PSUMARES

Your description is good, that helped me to help you. I had same problem with my Sony Digital8 (also called HI8 ) handycam. My vista system was not able to detect my Handycam with a very very cheap FIREWIRE PCI Card I bought in local market for only $4, yes four dollars. It came with same cable 6pin to 4pin Firewire (Sony calls it i.Link). I was trying to connect with same cable 4pin at camera end and 6pin on PCI Card, with no luck.

I tried everything an expert would do, but got only frustration. Even tried net for the solution but it seems no one knew.

Then I started from scratch, AND DECIDED TO READ MANUAL :smiley: . While reading the PDF manual found on Sony Support site, trust me, I found those golden words “USE ONLY 4PIN TO 4PIN i.Link Cable for Firewire connection.”

I ran back to market and bought 4PIN TO 4PIN Firewire Cable for $1.5

At first connect trust me, it detected “SONY DV Camcorder” and installed drivers automatically. I confirmed by going into Device Manager and found same entry in Imaging Device section. Then what in every possible software existed on my system, DV Capture was available, which was found always disabled.

Now the funny part it, technically there is no difference in 6pin to 4pin Firewire cable as two pins are used for Voltage which is discarded at 4 pin end. But it seems SONY Handycam does not wants itself to connect it to 6pin socket at PCI card end.

So these are the final things to remember.

1. Use only 4pin to 4pin Firewire cable (any cheaper make. $1.5 will do)
  2. Use any cheaper FIREWIRE PCI card with at least one 4pin firewire socket. No matter you use cheaper or costlier PCI card or cable the quality will always be same coz D8 Handycams directly transfer encoded Video Data in Digital format thru Firewire cable. Firewire cable does not transfer RF video input.
  3. No additional codecs are required to install in pc like others suggested. Required codecs are always there in XP and VISTA with windows movie maker.
  4. No additional software is required, as you can directly capture with Windows Movie Maker in high quality. I use many other software but with same quality.
  5. Dont blame SONY as they already told you which exact cable to use.
  6. In handycam mode, you can control PLAY/STOP/PAUSE of Handycam from PC itself from all the video software you use, which is high convinience for capturing.

Trust me I am going to add this information in almost all forums where similar problems were asked but nowhere the solution found. May be I can help them. Trust me this forum also I signed up only to add this information.

Thanks for listening

Mahendra
Mumbai, India

Okay, I feel really stupid but I need help.:confused: I am very good with computers and other electronic devices. I cannot figure out where to connect the iLink cable to my Sony Handycam DCR-HC26. I ready the post that said to only use 4 pin to 4 pin, I can get that no problem. I looked under the rubber tab next to where the battery goes, but that is DC in. There is a small tab under the batter that comes out but I do not see how the cable fits in there. Can anyone send me a picture or a diagram PLEASE??? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!:smiley:

I just did a simple google search and I was able to find an online manual for you camcorder, which shows exactly where your jack is. Just do the same, and after you get to the pdf, search for “jack”, and it will show you exactly where to plug it in.

[QUOTE=cmahendra;2239259]Hi PSUMARES

Your description is good, that helped me to help you. I had same problem with my Sony Digital8 (also called HI8 ) handycam. My vista system was not able to detect my Handycam with a very very cheap FIREWIRE PCI Card I bought in local market for only $4, yes four dollars. It came with same cable 6pin to 4pin Firewire (Sony calls it i.Link). I was trying to connect with same cable 4pin at camera end and 6pin on PCI Card, with no luck.

I tried everything an expert would do, but got only frustration. Even tried net for the solution but it seems no one knew.

Then I started from scratch, AND DECIDED TO READ MANUAL :smiley: . While reading the PDF manual found on Sony Support site, trust me, I found those golden words “USE ONLY 4PIN TO 4PIN i.Link Cable for Firewire connection.”

I ran back to market and bought 4PIN TO 4PIN Firewire Cable for $1.5

At first connect trust me, it detected “SONY DV Camcorder” and installed drivers automatically. I confirmed by going into Device Manager and found same entry in Imaging Device section. Then what in every possible software existed on my system, DV Capture was available, which was found always disabled.

Now the funny part it, technically there is no difference in 6pin to 4pin Firewire cable as two pins are used for Voltage which is discarded at 4 pin end. But it seems SONY Handycam does not wants itself to connect it to 6pin socket at PCI card end.

So these are the final things to remember.

1. Use only 4pin to 4pin Firewire cable (any cheaper make. $1.5 will do)
  2. Use any cheaper FIREWIRE PCI card with at least one 4pin firewire socket. No matter you use cheaper or costlier PCI card or cable the quality will always be same coz D8 Handycams directly transfer encoded Video Data in Digital format thru Firewire cable. Firewire cable does not transfer RF video input.
  3. No additional codecs are required to install in pc like others suggested. Required codecs are always there in XP and VISTA with windows movie maker.
  4. No additional software is required, as you can directly capture with Windows Movie Maker in high quality. I use many other software but with same quality.
  5. Dont blame SONY as they already told you which exact cable to use.
  6. In handycam mode, you can control PLAY/STOP/PAUSE of Handycam from PC itself from all the video software you use, which is high convinience for capturing.

Trust me I am going to add this information in almost all forums where similar problems were asked but nowhere the solution found. May be I can help them. Trust me this forum also I signed up only to add this information.

Thanks for listening

Mahendra
Mumbai, India[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Mahendra (only saw your post months later).

Unfortunately, 4-pin to 4-pin does not work for me either. Reading the manual I see that this handycam does not guarantee support for operating systems upgraded beyond Windows XP … and my only machine with a 4-pin IEEE input is WIndows Vista. I have another machine with XP, but alas, it does not have an IEEE input jack.

I really don’t understand how 14-year-olds manage to upload their videos to YouTube when after searching and studying the technology for weeks I cannot even get the video uploaded to my computer in the first place.

sigh

Paul