No video after WinXp reinstall

Hi, I can’t work out what’s wrong here. I just reinstalled Winxp with Service Pack 2 and I can’t play any video whatsoever… I’ve been using Nero Vision Express for the past couple of years with no problems but even that won’t play ball. I can import video in but as soon as I leave the layout page my whole system slows to a painful drag which forces me to shut down - I realise this is probably to do with some codec issue but I would have thought that WinXp and Nero would have installed everything I needed?

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Cheers

Do you have any player software installed? Windvd,powerdvd,etc.?

I’ve got windows media player, nero showtime and nero media player installed - surely all these should work shouldn’t they?

Try using VLC it free if no go with that then I am at a loss to help.

[quote=tobyc69;1915601]Hi, I can’t work out what’s wrong here. I just reinstalled Winxp with Service Pack 2 and I can’t play any video whatsoever… I’ve been using Nero Vision Express for the past couple of years with no problems but even that won’t play ball. I can import video in but as soon as I leave the layout page my whole system slows to a painful drag which forces me to shut down - I realise this is probably to do with some codec issue but I would have thought that WinXp and Nero would have installed everything I needed?

Anyone got any suggestions for me?

Cheers[/quote]
Try doing a Windows Update.:slight_smile:

look in device manager for any drivers you are missing

ffdshow and mediaplayer 10 helped me fix windows xp and nero 6

movie dvd’s need powerdvd or another players codec

mediaplayerclassic for funky avi’s that showtime won’t play

Rather than a codec issue being the root cause of your video problems in view of the fact that your system is locking up ect ect…It sounds more like a bad install where critical system files were missed or corrupted.

I would seriously think about doing another fresh install of XP w/SP2 and this time prior to installing wipe the drive clean 1rst with the free DBAN utility choosing the PRNG Stream Method and Verify All Passes to ensure that hardware caching is flushed. (Make Sure! that only your OS drive is connected otherwise you will unwittingly wipe any storage drives(s) )

Also thoroughly examine and clean your XP w/SP2 CD to rule that out as the source of the problem as well…

SaphireX

Cheers for all the suggestions - it seemed to sort itself out after a wipe & reinstall