No support for new Intel Cannonlake and Coffeelake CPUs planned for Windows 10 LTSB

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: No support for new Intel Cannonlake and Coffeelake CPUs planned for Windows 10 LTSB[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/01/Windows10_hero-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Microsoft will not support the upcoming Intel Cannonlake and Coffeelake CPU architectures in its current Long-Term Servicing Branch version of Windows 10. Users who want support for the next generation Intel CPUs will require a regular ‘current branch’ Windows 10 version.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/no-support-new-intel-cannonlake-coffeelake-cpus-planned-windows-10-ltsb-80593/](http://www.myce.com/news/no-support-new-intel-cannonlake-coffeelake-cpus-planned-windows-10-ltsb-80593/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Now, this is hardly headline material.
Like the article states, the LTSB editions were made to support mission critical legacy installs and and as said “the installs you do today will continue to work for the next 10 years” (provided they are initially compatible with the LTSB edition in question) The LTSB editions does not even get feature updates, only security and mission critical legacy installs does not necessarily need support for any new ‘lake’ processor as long as it is possible to install it virtually on an Intel Xeon processor (being the currently most probable) or older hardware.

:flower:

Windows 10 LTSB will still run on those CPU’s, only with less power saving options. So I don’t see why this is news to anyone, it’s always been this way for old Windows versions.

I’m working for a large organisation with 8000 users working in multiple business. Like a lot of other companies around the World we are trying to figure out how to migrate to Windows 10. One of the first task is to find the correct branch of the Enterprise version of Windows 10 (CB, CBB, LTBS) that will fit best our needs. Easy? Not at all!
When I heard about LTSB the first time I was enthusiast. I thought: “-Finally MS has understood that a considerable part of the enterprises, focus on custom business applications and needs a very stable, wide compatible, secure and customizable OS. Enterprises will happily pay for needed features (or apps) because this usually means there is a kind of ROI with them. Home’s features are not needed nor welcome in an well-organized company because they may deconcentrate users out of their business and also need extra (useless) maintenance (security hole/patches/fix/…)”. But sorry, I was wrong!
MS will drop support for Windows 7 on Kaby Lake CPU before the end of the extended support of Windows 7. Now MS (seems, I hope not decided yet) will NOT supports Cannon Lake CPU with Windows 10 LTBS.
It’s quite easy to everyone imagine a strategy against enterprise customers that have paid billions dollars during the past decades and that have made MS what is now.
Let hope someone in MS will clarify soon, once and for all, that Enterprises are still a recognized customer type that deserve working tools and support. If Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB cannot “survive” a new incoming hardware during its support timeframe, than it’s not even a branch option. Missing, i.e. some new power management features, is one thing, losing support, is another story. If MS really want to help Enterprise migrations to Windows 10, than it should now release an official clear statement about LTSB support and educate its consultants because, at the moments, they seems confused like us.