No sound

vbimport

I am attempting to make DVDs of high school football games as a gift for graduating seniors and have run into a problem. After turning four disks into coasters I turned to the internet for a solution. My problem is I’ve been unable to make DVDs that will play any sound. I’m thinking I may need a plug in but if so which one and where do I get it? My OS is Windows 8. Software I’m using is Roxio NXT2. Video was taken Sony Handycam. I’m able to burn DVDs that work just fine, complete with sound, with PlayMemories Home software, but the fit to disk option with Roxio NXT2 gives me a better quality video than the PlayMemories does with the standard quality that I have to select to make it fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD disk. So I guess if I can’t get the sound issue resolved I can always fall back on the software that came bundled with the camcorder. Was just wanting to provide the best quality I can since these memories will be keepsakes for years to come. Oh, and I’d better mention that I’m technologically challenged so please keep that in mind when offering advice. :wink: Thanks!

I don’t have Roxio NXT2 & I’m not familiar with it.
Maybe I can help some anyway.

What audio/vidio format does the Sony Handycam create ? .avi . .mp4 or a DVD compliant folder .

Are you using the Roxio NXT2 to convert to DVD compliant & maybe compress the size ?

Cholla, I believe it’s .avi. Definitely not mp4. The extension on my video is .m2ts, if that helps. When using NXT2 I have been selecting the “fit to disc” option in order to make the entire game fit on a standard 4.7MB DVD.

The .m2ts is a blu-ray format .
It’s possible that NXT2 may not be able to convert the audio from the .m2ts.

Will NXT2 do the “fit to disc” to your harddrive instead of burning it to a disc ?

If it can then you can use a media player (not Windows Media Player) to listen to the DVD folder created first. I suggest VLC or MPC-HC for this.
If there is no audio then NXT2 isn’t able to convert the audio from the .m2ts file.

Thank you, cholla. I don’t see an option to fit to disc on hardrive. I’ll keep fiddling around with it and see if I can convert to another format that NXT2 will work with.

I can convert the files to MP4 using PlayMemories. I’ll convert and then try burning, see if that works. Just want to be sure it will play on a regular DVD player and not just on a PC.

I decided to just order dual layer DVDs. That way I can stay with high quality and burn from PlayMemories. I was trying to avoid this option since I had already bought a huge stack of 4.7GB DVDs. But I want the best quality so just going to bite the bullet and buy more discs. Thanks for your assistance, cholla. Much appreciated!
Note: I accidentally typed 4.7MB instead of GB on previous post. Oops! Edit time elapsed.

You might be happier with the DL DVDs.
You could try this if PlayMemories will write the DL size to your hard drive.

DVDShrink is free & can compress to a SL size.

DVDRebuilder which also has a free version can also compress to a SL size.
It is considered better than DVDShrink by some . It takes a lot more time to compress though.

You might give these a try & see if the quality is acceptable.

BTW I caught the MB error & knew you meant GB.

If you are going to order DL DVD’s make sure to get Verbatim brand.

M2TS is found in Blu-ray, which is a completely different format from DVD-video. Even if it is compressed to fit onto a smaller disc, it wouldn’t play on a regular DVD player, and not all Blu-ray players recognize Blu-ray video on DVD discs.

Not all DVD players will accept mp4 files either.

Are you editing the videos? Or just taking them straight from the camera?

One thing you might try is converting to DVD-video. Take your finished video, no matter what the format, and import into a free program called AVStoDVD. This will give you DVD-video output that will fit onto single layer dvds. Make sure to make NTSC compliant DVD-video if you are in the US, and use the HC encoder that is included with the program in a two pass encode.

AVStoDVD can be found here: http://www.videohelp.com/software/AVSTODVD
Use the direct download link.

Of course, I may have misunderstood what your program is doing, and you are already making DVD-video. If so, you can disregard the last bit of advice about AVStoDVD.

@ Kerry ,
If I understood correctly the .m2ts file is what the Sony Handycam creates.

Roxio NXT2 converted to DVD compliant but with no audio.

PlayMemories created DVD compliant (with audio) but the quality at DVD SL was less than CherylR wanted.

I should have suggested AVStoDVD.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2751996]If you are going to order DL DVD’s make sure to get Verbatim brand.

M2TS is found in Blu-ray, which is a completely different format from DVD-video. Even if it is compressed to fit onto a smaller disc, it wouldn’t play on a regular DVD player, and not all Blu-ray players recognize Blu-ray video on DVD discs.

Not all DVD players will accept mp4 files either.

Are you editing the videos? Or just taking them straight from the camera?

One thing you might try is converting to DVD-video. Take your finished video, no matter what the format, and import into a free program called AVStoDVD. This will give you DVD-video output that will fit onto single layer dvds. Make sure to make NTSC compliant DVD-video if you are in the US, and use the HC encoder that is included with the program in a two pass encode.

AVStoDVD can be found here: http://www.videohelp.com/software/AVSTODVD
Use the direct download link.

Of course, I may have misunderstood what your program is doing, and you are already making DVD-video. If so, you can disregard the last bit of advice about AVStoDVD.[/QUOTE]

KERRY56, you are definitely right on with recommendation for Verbatim. I found out through trial and error that Verbatim is the best brand to use, so now that’s all I’ll buy.
No, I am not editing the videos. I’m using them just as they were taken. I did as you suggested and downloaded the AVStoDVD. I hope I was correct in selecting the NTSC over PAL on initial launch. Now I have a learning curve for another software program. :wink: I’ll give it a try. See if I can get it figured out. If it’s not too late I may even be able to cancel the DL DVD order. Thanks for the help!
Edited to add: I see you did mention the NTSC, so I did make the right selection. It defaulted to PAL, though, so I was unsure.

[QUOTE=cholla;2751998]@ Kerry ,
If I understood correctly the .m2ts file is what the Sony Handycam creates.

Roxio NXT2 converted to DVD compliant but with no audio.

PlayMemories created DVD compliant (with audio) but the quality at DVD SL was less than CherylR wanted.

I should have suggested AVStoDVD.[/QUOTE]

No worries, cholla. Hopefully I’ll eventually get it all figured out so I can start burning DVDs. I have a lot of discs to burn before graduation!

If you take the time to learn to use AVStoDVD it will be worth the effort.
It seems easy now but it took me a while to learn to use it.

We have a guide for AVStoDVD if you need it: http://club.myce.com/f32/avstodvd-guide-331620/

@ CherylR , I wanted to make sure this software worked well for this before I suggested it . I had some problems getting it to work on my Windows 7 SP1 32-bit os .
I finally did . It worked fine on Vista & my laptop with Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.
The solution is in the last post by me in the link below. The thread is also a guide.

I think it will be a good program for the .m2ts files to DVD5 (SL).
You can see if you think the results are as good or better than AVStoDVD.
Both are good programs.

This is a direct download link:
BD_Rebuilder

or you can get it in the first post HERE . It is freeware.