No Sound

vbimport

I am not getting any sound, the speakers are working, (tried on another computer) checked device manager, shows no defects. Any ideas? T.I.A

When did you stop getting sound?

A short time ago? Have you installed or uninstalled anything recently?

Have you checked to make sure the sound hasn’t been muted? I spent an hour one day (some years ago now) trying to troubleshoot this problem and found that something I had done had put the main system sound on mute.

Have you tried reinstalling sound drivers?

[QUOTE=deanimator;2580608]When did you stop getting sound?

A short time ago? Have you installed or uninstalled anything recently?[/QUOTE] dean, just noticed the sound was not working, tried headphones, no good, did not install/uninstall anything prior to the loss.Wierd.

Ha, I remember now what I did to mute the system sound. I was watching a movie in PowerDVD and hit mute. I was called away and shut everything down with the sound still muted in that program and PowerDVD had applied that mute to the whole system.

I’ve had more problems with Cyberlink software than anything else, including Realtek audio drivers.

Ok…then may I suggest a simple “System Restore”

Go back 2 or 3 days…if you´ve made no other software changes this may help without affecting anything else. At least try it and see what happens. You can also reverse this if you wish.

I tried all the suggestions,(thanks). Nothing worked, would installing a sound card help?

Go to the device manager and un-install the sound device. Reboot and Windows should re-install it. I have to occasionally do that to get my USB working again, so it might work for your sound.

Thanks, tried it.

Try a live system running from CD, like Knoppix or Ubuntu.
That way you can clearly rule out if there is a hardware problem or if you messed up your Windows installation.

Michael

You have a older system ,you may have to update your sound card -go to control panel -system-hardware-device Manager and go down to sounds,video,and game controller and see if there is a question mark or something to say your sound card is working .That’s all I know it happen to me .Some of these other guys could tell you more.good luck if your not to handy with computers there are programs that update drivers.

Thanks I tried all of the suggestions, I even have a program that monitors and updates my drivers. Guess I need a sound card. I don’t see one in mine, there is no card where the speakers plug in. Where would you insert the sound card? T.I.A.

Depending on the type of slots you have available, a sound card would be inserted into a PCI or PCI-e slot.

This page shows diagrams of the different types of slots: http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/bus_speeds.asp

Do you have a commercially made computer? If so, let us know the make and model. If it is a home made rig, let us know the make and model motherboard you have.

Have you tried right clicking the speaker icon in the system tray ?
Select Playback Devices .
Then set your Speakers as the Default.
You can get a software like PC Wizard 2010 (freeware).
Mine shows this in Multimedia under hardware.
Device Audio : MCP51 High Definition Audio
Audio Playback : Speakers (SoundMAX Integrated D

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2580834]Depending on the type of slots you have available, a sound card would be inserted into a PCI or PCI-e slot.

This page shows diagrams of the different types of slots: http://www.naplestech.com/shopcart/bus_speeds.asp

Do you have a commercially made computer? If so, let us know the make and model. If it is a home made rig, let us know the make and model motherboard you have.[/QUOTE]
Kerry, Heres the info. HP6142P, Amd Phenom 9600, 1T HD, 8GDDR.

Looking at the picture of your motherboard at HP, it has three open pci-e 1x slots and NO pci slots.

It also uses the Realtek ALC888S onboard sound chip. Lets see if that helps someone else with a diagnosis, as I’m running out of ideas if you’ve tried everything suggested.

Sound cards are getting to be a scarce commodity…this is the cheapest one at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829956002&cm_re=sound_card_pci_express--29-956-002--Product

I’d avoid the Creative sound cards…that brings its own kind of misery with their drivers.

You could also save all your data and do a system restore from the restore partition (assuming that is what HP set up on your computer). They used to give out system restore disks, but restore partitions are more common these days.

This won’t help if you have a hardware flaw. If the onboard sound chip is fubared, this would be a futile effort. Trying to play sound from a Linux live cd should have shown if it was hardware or a Windows software problem, so if you didn’t get sound while using a Linux cd, it is probably a hardware issue.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2580838]Looking at the picture of your motherboard at HP, it has three open pci-e 1x slots and NO pci slots.

It also uses the Realtek ALC888S onboard sound chip. Lets see if that helps someone else with a diagnosis, as I’m running out of ideas if you’ve tried everything suggested.

Sound cards are getting to be a scarce commodity…this is the cheapest one at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829956002&cm_re=sound_card_pci_express--29-956-002--Product

I’d avoid the Creative sound cards…that brings its own kind of misery with their drivers.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Kerry, I’ll give that card a try.