No Sound Windows Media Player

Hi everyone

I’ve just tried to play some music on my computer with WMP but for some strange reason I have no sound. I have sound when I use VLC and I had sound with WMP a couple of days ago so I don’t know what’s happened.

Windows has done some updates so I wondered if that could have anything to do with it?

I’d appreciate any help that you can give me.

Many thanks.

Nobody has any suggestions :frowning:

If you’re not getting audio in WMP:

Open WMP.
Click on one of the LITTLE ARROWS beneath any of the main buttons -“now playing”, “library”, etc…
Scroll down & select MORE OPTIONS.
Select the DVD tab.
On the lower left, click the ADVANCED button.
On the MAIN tab be sure preset is set to DEFAULT.
Also, on the MAIN, MIXER, & GAIN tabs, be sure none of the sliders are all the way off.
When you’re done, click APPLY & OK.

I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for replying Chosenfew777 and for the advice - I will definately give that a try when I get home.

Thanks again.

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=chosenfew777;2414985]If you’re not getting audio in WMP:

Open WMP.
Click on one of the LITTLE ARROWS beneath any of the main buttons -“now playing”, “library”, etc…
Scroll down & select MORE OPTIONS.
Select the DVD tab.
On the lower left, click the ADVANCED button.
On the MAIN tab be sure preset is set to DEFAULT.
Also, on the MAIN, MIXER, & GAIN tabs, be sure none of the sliders are all the way off.
When you’re done, click APPLY & OK.

I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had a look at that as you suggested and everythings fine until I get to the part after the advanced button - I haven’t got anything that looks like you’ve suggested.

I can see the default in the right hand section but it’s not highlighted and I don’t know how to select it also I can’t see anything that says MAIN or preset?

What I’ve got is on the left hand side ffdshow then underneath that codecs, underneath that directshow and control, underneath that info and cpu then alot of other options.

Am I missing something so obvious that I can’t see it?

Do you have Windows media player 11?
DVD (tab)
ADVANCED (button)
MAIN (tab) should be the 1st tab, you will prob. be in it
PRESET (dropdown box with arrow to the right of it)
press arrow & choose DEFAULT
check that all the sliders are about halfway up
in GAIN (tab) & MIXER (tab) make sur all sliders are about halfway up.

(MY sliders in MY setup are higher, but set YOURS halfway)

I hope this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FKd7aMixrw might make it clearer…

If I’m understanding what you mean by tabs and buttons (sorry for sounding dumb) the only tab i’ve got is ffdshow which then has a long list of things underneath, the first few i’ve listed for you.

ffdshow
codecs
directshow and control
info and cpu

it is version 11 i’ve got - do you think it might have something to do with ffdshow that’s there?

I’ve had a look at the youtube clip (which is a brilliant idea I might add) but mine looks absolutely nothing like that

No wonder!
You’ve seen what my Windows Media player 11 in Windows XP looks like.
Mine is a couple of years old.
I’m sorry I couldn’t be more help. Did it work OK before?
Have you recently installed some more programs on your PC that could have unknowingly changed your WMP?
You might try a system restore (check in windows Help & Support) & set your computer to an earlier state where WMP worked OK. You should see some minor changes after doing this, but you will not lose any files.

I have recently installed internet explorer 8 and since that it has stopped working - but i did do a system restore and if i remember right it did correct it but i found that explorer 8 was quicker - I’d still like to know why it suddenly changed though surely it shouldn’t be able to change things like that without asking you first :frowning:

Don’t worry about not being able to help as I’m really grateful that you replied to my question and offered to help me - thank you soo much for that.

Hopefully it’ll sort itself out somehow!!!

Once again many thanks.

:kiss:

Sweetheart - welcome to Windows! (ugh!)
You are experiencing a bug or glitch also known as a conflict between 2 programs.
It happens more often than you might think.
Even 2 windows progs. that you’d think would get along OK (they’re both windows for cryin’ out loud) don’t always do…

Were it me?

1. Restore your media player & use IE 7 (preferable)
    or
  2. Keep IE 8 & use a different player prog. (VLC media player is very good & free)

Finally (sort itself out) Do you go to windows update & update your windows regularly?
Keep windoze updated & wait for an update to resolve this issue.
I remember when IE7 1st came out, it caused more than a few heartaches for people!
Eventually, windoze released un update to fix it…

My fingers are tired.

Sweetheart - welcome to Windows! (ugh!)
You are experiencing a bug or glitch also known as a conflict between 2 programs.
It happens more often than you might think.
Even 2 windows progs. that you’d think would get along OK (they’re both windows for cryin’ out loud) don’t always do…

Were it me?

1. Restore your media player & use IE 7 (preferable)
    or
  2. Keep IE 8 & use a different player prog. (VLC media player is very good & free)

Finally (sort itself out) Do you go to windows update & update your windows regularly?
Keep windoze updated & wait for an update to resolve this issue.
I remember when IE7 1st came out, it caused more than a few heartaches for people!
Eventually, windoze released un update to fix it…

My fingers are tired.