No sound from Vietnam video

A wedding video made in Vietnam will copy perfect for me but only the video and the audio is lost. I have tried DVD Cloner 6, DVD Shrink, DVD-Fab, I have made an ISO with Alcohol 120% and burned an image…perfect video but still no audio.
After a program like DVD-Fab makes a backup…I can grab the VOB files in the Temp folder and make a video by piecing them together…then I can hear the audio. The only thing is that there are four VOB files and it isn’t so seamless when it’s played back.
Any help to make a decent backup of this wedding dvd would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Do you know if the audio track is AC3? Try opening the DVD with DVD Decrypter, http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/DVD-Decrypter/1011845169/1. Set the mode to IFO and then select stream processing. You should see the audio track and format (AC3).

Thanks Whappo…I opened the DVD with Decrypter and did as you said…the audio steam says MPEG 1/2 channel…any ideas from here?

When you ripped the DVD with FAB did you play it from your hard drive before you burnt it to DVD? What software player are you using? The audio is obviously there if you can get it from the individual vob’s. Try ripping it with DVD Decrypter and play it before you burn to DVD. Actually you shouldn’t have to rip it because there should be no copy protection. You could just copy it to your hard drive first, play it with your software player and if it works, just burn it to DVD. What burning program are you using?

I use Alcohol 120% or Nero for burning software…else I use DVD-Fab for DVD’s mostly. I made an ISO with DVD Decrypter and when I mounted it and played it back with Windows Media Player there was no sound but when I played it back using Power DVD it had sound.

Would it have something to do with codecs?

Where do you live? You include that in their profile.

If you are going to make a backup copy of this and want to use DVDFab open common settings and on the left side under “Streams” click on Audio and at the bottom right select the MPEG-2 in the dropdown window and give that a try, if you are just wanting to copy to the HDD and using WMP then it may be a codec issue with WMP.
what version of WMP are you running ?.

(Been away at a funeral)…Thanks for the tips Storm Jumper…I tried selecting the audio stream and that had no effect. I am using WMP 11…is there a codec download (outside of WMP) that may be newer?

[QUOTE=National87;2234431]Thanks Whappo…I opened the DVD with Decrypter and did as you said…the audio steam says [B]MPEG 1[/B]/2 channel…any ideas from here?[/QUOTE]
That could very well be your problem. Here in the states MPEG1 (MP2) audio is not part of the official standard, AC3 and PCM are. Many standalones will play it but some don’t.

Do you have menus that you want to keep?

no menus…just straight video…what’s crazy is the DVD will play on my computer or DVD player with sound?

…what’s crazy is the DVD will play on my computer or DVD player with sound?

I’m a bit confused by what you want to play it on?

As far as MP2 audio, an app like Nero Vision would not allow it in a finished NTSC project (which is the correct way to do it).

Not knowing what apps you have DVD Flick (free) should be able to give you a finished DVD with AC3 audio without re-encoding the video portion using your VOBs. Under Project Settings-> Video-> Advanced, tick 'Copy MPEG 2 Streams".

[QUOTE=National87;2244484]no menus…just straight video…what’s crazy is the DVD will play on my computer or DVD player with sound?[/QUOTE]

But we dont know how this wedding video DVD were created - probably in a non-standard way…

Quote:

Sorry Mystic Eyes I can see what I wrote was confusing.
The DVD which I am refering to is the original DVD that I am trying to copy. It plays in my DVD player no problem and on my computer no problem. When I make a copy using various programs the video copy is great but has no sound. The VOB files have sound…I used Power DVD and burned the VOB files to a DVD and that worked but the transition between VOBs while playing is not that great…but is has sound. When I make an image and burn it to a blank DVD it doesn’t work in my player or on my computer unless I use Power DVD to playback. This leads me to belive that it could be a codec issue…i am not sure…thanks for your help everybody.

[QUOTE=National87;2245220]Quote:

Sorry Mystic Eyes I can see what I wrote was confusing.
The DVD which I am refering to is the original DVD that I am trying to copy. It plays in my DVD player no problem and on my computer no problem. When I make a copy using various programs the video copy is great but has no sound. The VOB files have sound…I used Power DVD and burned the VOB files to a DVD and that worked but the transition between VOBs while playing is not that great…but is has sound. When I make an image and burn it to a blank DVD it doesn’t work in my player or on my computer unless I use Power DVD to playback. This leads me to belive that it could be a codec issue…i am not sure…thanks for your help everybody.[/QUOTE]

On your backup disc does it contain the AUDIO_TS folder ? even though it will be empty some standalone DVD players require it