No sound - DVD writer LG GSA-4167

vbimport

Gday all, I have installed and set-up my shiny new LG DVD writer (model GSA-4167B) and it plays DVDs but not the sound. I put in an audio CD and the sound is fine. Sound is also ok when I reconnect the existing CD ROM drive. I’ve tried plugging the drive sound connection into the “CD” and “Aux” ports on the motherboard. The soundcard is on board (so I was told- just bought the PC 2nd hand). I can return the drive as it’s days old and under warranty but perhaps I’ve not set it up right; do I need to change any of the sound settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have win 98 SE and Power DVD. I am a newbie. Cheers! Dave

I have the same dvd writer as you and I’m kind of thinking that it might not be win 98 compitable. From personal experience I can say that LG GSA-4167 does have sound support for dvds, because I’ve watched a few on this very pc.

You might want to return the product and get it exchanged with something from HP or liteon.

Yo-

You have one of the best OOD’s out there-

Would strongly suggest upgrading to Windows XP Home and launch yourself from 1999 to 2006 - and a very good operating system too - and it will solve more than DVD problems too-eh!

Mike

If anyone’s interested, it turned out to be a driver issue - the one supplied by the last owner wasn’t the right one.
Dave

Optical drives use a standard optical drive driver.

Did the driver fix it? What was the old driver and what did you change it to?
Bruce

:bigsmile: :clap: :iagree: