No singapore verbatim at smaller sizes? [4.7]

vbimport

Hello.
Im using verbatim [singapore] DL discs.
I was looking for a smaller size verbatim [4.7], and i found out that there is no singapore in 4.7GB.
What country should i pick for the smaller size verbatim?
Or maybe to buy another company for the 4.7 discs, like TDK?

Thank you.

Since Verbatim hasn’t put out any made in Singapore single layer discs for a while now, it’s been the case that most of their discs made by other manufacturers using Verbatim’s technology (“MCC …” media code) have been good. These discs are made in Taiwan or made in India. There is now also a made in U.A.E. (United Arab Emirates) that appears to be great. All of those are made with Verbatim’s technology and SHOULD be okay.

Recently, though, there has been an increase in Verbatim’s use of discs made by the other manufacturers NOT using Verbatim’s technology. It is these discs that are no better than TDK, etc., but still should be good. EDIT: see next post for more accurate info.

Hi,

I do not think Verbatim has made single-layer in Singapore in years if at all. If you want Verbatim SL discs, make sure they have AZO on the packaging. Under no circumstances should you buy Verbatim ‘Life Series’ crap. Another option is JVC [Taiyo Yuden] which is made in Japan and is of good quality.

NBK

Verbatim [B]did[/B] make single layer dvds in their Singapore factory. They were a favorite of mine back in the 4x days. I haven’t seen them for sale in many years though.

If you can find any Verbatim with the AZO designation on the label, those would be a good buy regardless of country of origin. I haven’t seen any JVC disks locally, but apparently they do exist in a few brick and mortar stores.

If you are going to buy online, I’d just invest in the 8x +R Taiyo Yuden disks at rima.com or supermediastore.com. They only seem to be available in 100ct packages however.

That Singapore single-layer media could be really nice but it could be bad as well. I have some really good MIS MCC 02RG20 and some okay MIS MCC 003, I have had Taiwan-made media that was just as good as the best MIS stuff.

AZO you mean this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERBATIM-DVD-R-100-Pack-Latest-AZO-16X-SealedNEW-/360285584588?pt=BI_Blank_Media

?

However i see a lot of AZO like this also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-VERBATIM-16-X-DVD-R-INKJET-PHOTO-PRINTABLE-IJP-AZO-/160365328566?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_BlankCDsDVDs

Any AZO will be fine? and what exactly the word “AZO” mean? new technology or something?

Thank you.

AZO refers to the type of dye used in the disks. It is not new technology, but is the type used in the “real” Mitsubishi/Verbatim disks. Verbatim has started using CMC as a supplier for their Life Series disks, and these do not use the AZO dye.

Technically CMC does use azo-based dyes for some of its media (the 8x stuff comes to mind). TY uses an azo-based dye for its media as well. Mitsubishi doesn’t exactly have a monopoly on the stuff, it just uses the “Advanced AZO” as part of its marketing to refer to the dyes it developed.

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;2538693]Technically CMC does use azo-based dyes for some of its media (the 8x stuff comes to mind). TY uses an azo-based dye for its media as well. Mitsubishi doesn’t exactly have a monopoly on the stuff, it just uses the “Advanced AZO” as part of its marketing to refer to the dyes it developed.[/QUOTE]

:iagree: Also most of MBI’s & Infomedia’s DVDR media are made with MKM’s AZO dye.