No sheeps what does it mean

Hi there,

As a novice I tried the EFM Test on the 1620-Latest Firmware and found that it is a No-sheep drive.

What does this mean?

Regards, GB

No wool for you! Use cotton instead.

Anyway, more seriously this time… it means that your drive is not good at handling CD copy protections used in many games, meaning that you can’t create 1:1 backups of most game CDs. Most DVD burners (LiteOn being the most notable exception to this) are sheepless.

Thanks,
do you happen to know a 3-sheep drive?

Regards, GB

The official “review” pegs the DS1620 as a 1 sheep drive. I can’t duplicate this with my drive. Mine has tested as a no sheep drive on every firmware.

The official “review” pegs the DS1620 as a 1 sheep drive. I can’t duplicate this with my drive. Mine has tested as a no sheep drive on every firmware.

Mine too.

So it seems ClonyXXL Italia was once more right then :
http://www.clonyxxl.net/moderatori/luciano/nuovo/default.php?page=b

… on the other hand, they give one “sheep” (“Codifica EFM” :slight_smile: ), to the Philips 1640p -?! (btw, similarily, the same cdrinfo -or cdfreaks?- gave 2 sheeps to the 1640! it seems the right values /reviews are X-1 then… ! :stuck_out_tongue: ).

…anyway, it seems NO dvd burner is good enough nowadays for the last Sadiscs 3.x (even the ‘best’ rare 2 sheeps ones last Liteon/LG…). A specialized cdrw seems required everytimes now (to be really “safe” with the last ones)… to be safe with “all” game protections then… including those last *^$ SD. (add a plex premium? Toshiba 5232 ‘cheap’ combos?..)… sad. :a :iagree:

Well, according to cdrinfo/cdfreaks tests, apart for SD so, the 1620 seems to be very correct for securom and/or psx though… http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=10450&PageId=4 :slight_smile:

But to sum up, clearly horrible/ignoble for Safediscs so(!)… yes. Alas. NOT a burner for Safedisc “1:1”, clear and simple… :Z :o

A ‘specialized’ writer would be a nice companion then (like for evry other burners so… at least, here, that’s simple, that’s simply totally required… no possible doubts to have /SDs… “lol”)

:wink: