No Read on DVD on a DMR-EH80

vbimport

I can no longer read DVD’s on my DMR-EH85 - keep getting “no read”. I cleaned the spindle but this did not solved the problem. I ran the device with the cover and DVD tray out of the unit and noticed that the led does turn on but when backed away from the disk. The read head does five seeks and the spindle does turn a bit but the unit gives up on trying to find the DVD and issues a “no read” message. I also noticed that the unit indicates that there is a DVD in the drive when there isn’t (DVD indicator is on). I reset this by depressing the up and stop buttons but problem persists. Any suggestions? Thank you.

[QUOTE=SamAVForum1;2487871]I can no longer read DVD’s on my DMR-EH85 - keep getting “no read”. I cleaned the spindle but this did not solved the problem. I ran the device with the cover and DVD tray out of the unit and noticed that the led does turn on but when backed away from the disk. The read head does five seeks and the spindle does turn a bit but the unit gives up on trying to find the DVD and issues a “no read” message. I also noticed that the unit indicates that there is a DVD in the drive when there isn’t (DVD indicator is on). I reset this by depressing the up and stop buttons but problem persists. Any suggestions? Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Your description points to a dirty lens or a failed laser assembly. Did you also clean the lens? If the “no read” situation persists there may have been some disturbance to the ribbon cables or there might be a problem with the DVD Drive’s on-board controller board or the Digital PCB itself.

With the disc tray extended or removed there will be specific procedures required for reassembly/realignment of the DVD Drive. This post has a link to the first of two AVS posts describing the procedures for 2006 and newer model Panasonic drives:

DVD Drive realignment/reassembly procedures for earlier models may differ in some respects.

Panasonic’s corporate Service Center in Elgin Illinois continues to offer the $130 flat-rate repair for Panasonic hard drive recorders. Current information is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14451738#post14451738