No New HDD DVR's from Panasonic!

vbimport

According to one of the US customer service representatives, there are no new HDD DVR’s from Panasonic and there are none expected.

If you love your hard disk based dvd recorder and were planning on buying from Panasonic in the future, I suggest you email, call, fax, or write to them to express your disappointment. Perhaps they will reconsider.

Here is the “Contact Us” form URL:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vContactUs?storeId=15001&langId=-1

Here is their support address and phone number:

Panasonic Corporation of North America
Consumer Affairs Division
Panazip 2F-3
One Panasonic Way
Secaucus, NJ 07094

1-800-211-PANA (7262)

You’ll have to ask for their Fax number, I cannot find it.

I was told the same thing by a company rep,
but only as regards the 2007 models.
He did not say anything about future years’.
As of this date no company other than Philips
has announced a new model with both an ATSC
tuner and a hard drive…

If I am remembering correctly, when I researched them, the Philips units were not very reliable and provided their owners with much aggravation. :frowning:

Hopefully they’ve worked the bugs out by now. :slight_smile:

You mean they got bored making money?

In the 1960’s American car companies put seatbelts in their automobiles for a year or two, did not advertise that there were seatbelts available, and charged a hefty surcharge when you requested them. As a result very few people requested them on their new cars. Then the car companies concluded that no one wanted them and they stopped offering them. They only resumed offering seat belts after the American government forced them to do so by law.

I believe we are seeing a similar lack of business sense. Offer a product, charge a lot initially, don’t advertise much or at all, don’t explain what it can do for you, then conclude there is little market for it and stop production.

New DVD recorders announced

Unfortunately, those recorders are for sale in the UK,
but not in the US. :frowning:

Fine by me! Perhaps Panasonic have just been busy brushing up their European machines?

Mmmmm… Blaaack…

This is mainly due to TIVO. Apparently, most consumers like inferior products and monthly subscriptions…

I’m crossing my fingers blu-ray recorders with HDD will eventually reach the market here.

With the coming of digital tuning technology there are fewer hard drive/DVD recorders being offered in the US consumer marketplace.

Digital tuning and HD technology incorporates more sophisticated copyright encoding. Such encoding may originate from movie/program producers, programming services (HBO, Showtime, etc.) cable and satellite providers (Comcast, DishTV, etc.) and even local broadcast stations.

Digital technology provides a better viewing experience but limits the ability to record.

Digital and HD transmission and tuning technology is very effective at preventing or restricting the recording of copyrighted material.

There is no requirement that copyright holders must allow recording of their product. Some copyrighted programming content allows for “fair use” i.e., one recording on hard drive recorders provided by cable and satellite services. These recorders can not produce a DVD recording.

General consumer product manufacturers are moving away from producing products where consumers will complain that they may no longer record some copyrighted material.

[QUOTE=learning_dvd;1736244]According to one of the US customer service representatives, there are no new HDD DVR’s from Panasonic and there are none expected.

If you love your hard disk based dvd recorder and were planning on buying from Panasonic in the future, I suggest you email, call, fax, or write to them to express your disappointment. Perhaps they will reconsider.

Here is the “Contact Us” form URL:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/vContactUs?storeId=15001&langId=-1

Here is their support address and phone number:

Panasonic Corporation of North America
Consumer Affairs Division
Panazip 2F-3
One Panasonic Way
Secaucus, NJ 07094

1-800-211-PANA (7262)

You’ll have to ask for their Fax number, I cannot find it.[/QUOTE]

Yes…it’s very unfortunate and sad. This is mainly due to TIVO (which looks completely dumbed down, similar to Apple products).

You can pay high premiums on ebay for these machines. If you really want/need one, it’s probably worth it (I paid $649 for my first model, the E80H). It still works like a charm for the family member I gave it to.

Yeah, but when you can drive to your local walmart and have your
choice of SEVERAL DVD Recorders for UNDER $150 it’s hard to worry
about it.

Yes you need media, but they work with RW discs too…

and BTW it’s not about people prefering inferior products it about the
fact that TiVO has until recently handcuffed that particular market
(possible killed it) with their lawsuit against Direct TV with their HDD
based recorder.

Fortunatly TiVO LOST that suit, but UNfortunatly I think that the
dammage is done.

HDD is good for things that you want to watch, but not badly enough to waste a $0.40 DVD-R disc on…

AD

I use my HD equipped machines to cap shows I like, then I edit out the commercials and burn a disk of the keepers.
Very handy for making my own season of shows I like, and yes also great for just checking out or time shifting things I like or just want to check out.
I also use the hdtv card in my box here and make hd-dvd onto regular dvd’s with it for the shows I want to have in full hd glory and 5.1 sound, a good reason to get a cheap hd-dvd player while some are still around.
My bd burner is still to spendy for blanks to use much, and I haven’t tried doing hd to blu on regular dvd’s yet, it’s very easy to do to hd dvd.
I wish some first teir manufacturers still made hd equipped machines, about all you can get in the USA now is the Philips/Funai and magnavox machines at Wally world, at least they are relatively cheap and for the most part work well.

[quote=AllanDeGroot;2167165]HDD is good for things that you want to watch, but not badly enough to waste a $0.40 DVD-R disc on…[/quote] I can’t really agree with that.

A harddisk based video recorder will enable you to change the way you watch television, since you can program it to record multiple programs (limited by the available harddrive space) and then watch at your convenience, including watching a show while it’s still being recorded.

The same thing is not really possible with a DVD based video recorder, which will only allow you to record a couple of hours (or more at a lower quality) before having to change the disc. Thus it’s not something you can set-and-forget.

DVD recorders allow you to record things you want to keep, while HDD+DVD recorders allow you to record everything you may want to watch, and then save the things you want to keep on DVD media.