No Mouse Cursor!?

G’day people,

I’ve come across another problem but this time on my older computer. For some strange reason there was no mouse cursor when my mum booted it up last night.

Besides the fact that there was no mouse cursor, there was nothing else wrong I could see with it. The keyboard still responds and I could close start up programs like MSN messenger. There were however alerts from windows telling me I have remove/unplug my CD/DVD drives which I absolutely did not do.

I’ve tried booting it in safe mode but there was no mouse cursor there either. I’ve tried another mouse and still no cursor. Could the actual connectoin port or whatever its called be playing up or is this the work of a virus? To my knowledge there wasn’t any installation of new programs beforehand so this problem did occur quite randomly. Thanks for any help on t his matter.

First off is your mouse usb or ps2 connected? What O/S are you using? Is the computer a factory or home built? What other external hardware is connected? Was there any changes prior to this problem happening this includes software install and updates as well?

[QUOTE=lamchop;2217189]G’day people,

I’ve come across another problem but this time on my older computer. For some strange reason there was no mouse cursor when my mum booted it up last night.

Besides the fact that there was no mouse cursor, there was nothing else wrong I could see with it. The keyboard still responds and I could close start up programs like MSN messenger. There were however alerts from windows telling me I have remove/unplug my CD/DVD drives which I absolutely did not do.

I’ve tried booting it in safe mode but there was no mouse cursor there either. I’ve tried another mouse and still no cursor. Could the actual connectoin port or whatever its called be playing up or is this the work of a virus? To my knowledge there wasn’t any installation of new programs beforehand so this problem did occur quite randomly. Thanks for any help on t his matter.[/QUOTE]Try using another mouse.

It is a ps2 connection.
I’m using windows 2000.
Its a custom built computer.
There was no change prior to this happening. No installation of new software or hardware.
I’ve tried connecting another ps2 mouse and still no mouse cursor.

What really bothers me is that there’s no mouse cursor even in safe mode. Would this imply that it is more of a hardware problem?

OK quick edit. I’ve got a mouse cursor back and it works by plugging a USB one back in. I’ve tried the ps2 mouse on my current computer so there isn’t anything wrong with the mouse. Would this mean there is a problem with the ps2 port or some hardware in the computer then?

Go into your BIOS & See if it is still set for legacy mouse & keyboard.
Or ps2.
Second go inot you Device Manager & remove or uninstall all mice.Plug in only the ps2 mouse & reboot.

The PS2 connections can blow on circuit board, thanks the stars for USB mice. I had that happen on a Gigabyte board when i pulled it out by accident and plugged it back in hot. That has never happened on any other board I have ever had.