No more Windows XP on netbooks starting October

vbimport

No more Windows XP on netbooks starting October.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/06/V27lVA.jpg[/newsimage]Microsoft issued a reminder that it will pull the plug on Windows XP for netbooks on October 22, with customers and OEMs reminded that no more netbooks will ship with a pre-installed copy of XP Home.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/no-more-windows-xp-on-netbooks-starting-october-30781/](http://www.myce.com/news/no-more-windows-xp-on-netbooks-starting-october-30781/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If they’d actually sell netbooks with real Windows 7 Home/Pro versions instead of the limited “Starter Edition” this wouldn’t sound quite as threatening. :doh:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2524942]If they’d actually sell netbooks with real Windows 7 Home/Pro versions instead of the limited “Starter Edition” this wouldn’t sound quite as threatening. :doh:[/QUOTE]
Yep, that’s the real reason people are reluctant to get Windows 7 on a netbook, because of the crappy and crippled “starter” edition.

Well, netbooks are crippled hardware, so a “crippled” OS matches perfectly :wink:
Add 100 EUR/USD, and you get better hardware (most likely) and a higher Windows version.

Michael

I’ve configured a triple-boot on my Samsung N120 netbook - Windows XP (came with), Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04.

While I mainly use Windows 7 on my desktop PC, it is very sluggish on the netbook, way much more so than Windows XP, despite upgrading its RAM to 2GB. One thing I can agree on is that if you use Windows 7 on an Atom based netbook, the performance will probably put you off using a netbook, never mind the features crippled in the starter edition.

Windows XP Home runs quite well and even boots pretty quick - 40 seconds between powering on and on the desktop ready to use. The main thing to watch out for is that some virus checkers bog down the system, especially McAfee, which many netbook makers preinstall. Get rid of McAfee and install the Windows Security Essentials and that will likely make a very noticeable improvement.

If you are willing to learn how to work in the Gnome GUI in Linux, the Ubuntu is by far the smoothest running on the netbook and gives the impression of working on a more powerful laptop. I originally had the Asus EEE 7" running PCLinuxOS and didn’t really notice any issue with speed. However, that OS was like Windows ME for stability, regularly giving driver issues. Ubuntu occasionally hangs on boot, geting stuck with a flashing cursor just before the logon screen, but other than that, it seems to run fine once booted.

If Microsoft is happy to make people think twice of buying a netbook, I’m sure Apple will be happy getting a few more iPad owners. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Seán;2525098] One thing I can agree on is that if you use Windows 7 on an Atom based netbook, the performance will probably put you off using a netbook, never mind the features crippled in the starter edition.[/QUOTE]

Really, I haven’t had performance issues with Win7 on my netbook at all. I run Windows 7 Ultimate on my EeePC 1000HE w/ 2GB RAM and it’s quite smooth. I’m not a fan of the Starter edition either, but I’m more of a power user. I’m sure a lot of netbook users are fine with it, but way too limited for my taste. The netbook is perfectly capable hardware for me, however, since I do a lot of word processing and web surfing more than anything else, and nothing too intensive with media or games.

Boot time is good, nothing seems to lag, and all the drivers work quite well, except the video driver has an occasional issue after resuming from sleep mode.

I haven’t tried any other security software on it except for the Microsoft Security Essentials, so I can’t really comment on that. I will say, though, that it seems to be the least obtrusive of the anti-virus clients I’ve used. I know people who’ve had issues with malware slipping through, but I’ve had no problems with it.

What they’re offering should be quite adequate for the target demographic of netbook consumers.