No more Office Depot media for me!

This Is for the 2nd time I got DVDs from Office Depot and you can’t burn anything with fake media they sell :Z

Do not buy any media from Office Depot If you want good quality disks.

And I thought they were discontinuing their DVD media…
Weird title. :confused:

Which MID does your Office Depot media have?
According to Videohelp, the Office Depot media was mostly Ritek.
Ritek has not always made solid performers… The G05 were craptastic :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: @craptastic

I have fake Maxell ritekw01 as media code they burn and read craptastic :doh:

By the way Is it legal to make fake brand media?

How do you know the Maxell Ritek is fake? Maxell use Ritek most of the time for their MIT stuff… :slight_smile:

BTW, I amended the thread title so it’s not confusing as Evilboy pointed out (I got the wrong idea as well).

Looked at some scans for this media and with first burn I get the same as others get,but on my friends drive it would not burn tham!

My scan on first burn

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S
Firmware: PS0B
Disc: DVD-RW (RITEKW01)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 14
Average: 2.75
Total: 25520
PI failures
Maximum: 3
Average: 0.10
Total: 1869
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 9:34
Number of samples: 111415
Average scanning interval: 1.23 ECC
Glitches removed: 0

I think you misunderstand the difference between Brand Name media, the media code, and fake media. Most brand names are not made by the company that brands the label. Also, most branded labels will sell many different media codes under the same label. This is one of the reasons so many of us avoid branded labels; we never know what we will actually receive. Maxell is a good example; they have, at one time, had 11 different comapnies making their DVD media.

Fake media is a different animal. Fake has nothing to do with the label on the disc. It is when the media ID is not really that of the people who make it.

First of all, these are in no way fake media. Second of all, your scan results are actually pretty good for RW media and you shouldn’t be concerned about the result. Also, RW media can be pickier with burners and getting proper results, so just because it didn’t work on a friend’s computer probably has more to do with his burner than anything else. What model of burner does he have?

Hmm…
Maxell themselves (Japan)
Taiyo Yuden (Japan)
Ritek (Taiwan)
[Ricoh (Taiwan/Japan) @ Ritek (Taiwan)]
Prodisc (Taiwan)
CMC (Taiwan)

That’s only five or six companies… where are the others? :bigsmile:

JVC, MCC, Optodisc, TDK, Philips, and whoever makes M01J0005. May be some overlap there, but they are all different media.

Argh. Why do I always have +/-R media in mind, and not RW and RAM? :doh:
The PHILIPS 041 4x DVD+RW were CMC-made, IIRC.
M01J0005 is made by Matsushita Electric (Panasonic). :slight_smile: