No joy-BF'42-Secret Weapons of WW2

vbimport

I have not been able to make a working backup of Battlefield 1942-Secret Weapons of WW2. This game is protected with Safedisc.

I have the latest version of Alcohol 120%.

Readers used: Toshiba DVD SD-M1612, Asus 1610a

CDRW: Asus1610a

I tried 8x to read, and 16x and 8x to burn. Copy failed in both the Toshiba and the Asus.

Is the Safedisc getting too good, my hardware too old, or can’t Alcohol 120% not able to handle this copy protection?

BTW, I used the Safedisc2 settings in 120% to read and write.

I have been able to backup all BF’42 CD’s previously, so I assume that Safedisc is getting tougher to beat.

Thanks…

According to here:

http://forum.alcohol-software.com/index.php?showtopic=2196

Your Asus burner should be Ok for correct EFM encoding.

If you used the default Safedisc 2 settings ‘Bypass Efm Error’ will be ticked under the recording options.

Have you tried unticking it and re-burning?

Lazer.

No, I have not tried deselecting ‘Bypass Efm Error’, is that what I was supposed to do? I will read your link, thanks.

Yes indeedy.

If you use a 2 sheep burner then unselecting ‘Bypass EFM Error’ is more likely to work.

You’ll notice on the Alcohol support forums that Robbo (the guy that wrote it) recommends using the Safedisk 1 option for 2 sheep burners.

The only difference is that by default - under recording options - Bypass EFM error is unticked using that, but ticked in the default Safedisk 2 options.

Lazer.

Lazer,

Thanks for the clarification in this matter. I will give it a try when I get home tonight. If it dont work, I will post again…

You have been most helpful.

I am grateful…

Backup of BF1942 Secret Weapons of WW2 on Celeron1200 ASUS TuSL2-C with LITEON LTC - 48161H (firmware wasnt the newest one), using CCD 4202, on reading: full speed, writing: full speed (48x on actually Verbatim 40x media),
playing solely on AMD2400+ (I own both the computers myself, the old Celeron only for browsing and some working, the AMD for playing) with Toshiba SD-M 1612 drive inside (no burner, no burning software).
Both PCs under Win98SE.
Only Battlefield 1942 was installed on play-PC, no other Addon except Secret Weapons (thus no Rise Rome or something I didn’t bother yet).
No Mainboard drivers are installed on the surfworkandbackup-PC.
All Mainboard (SIS, it’s Elitegroup K7S5APro 5.0) drivers are installed on the play-PC.

Result: Copy is working without any “help”, 100%, also after reboot.

CloneCD setting was “Copy protected CD”.

exactly the same with SC4 Rush Hour (but I updated the LiteOn Firmware in the meantime). That’s it for my games at the moment. I guess I am a 100% satisfied LiteOn customer :slight_smile:

Burning sd2.9040 with the liteon combo drive (LTC-48161H), which firmware is best?
and also. Can clonecd work for sd2.9 with this drive?!?!?!

Originally posted by Jay Sea
Can clonecd work for sd2.9 with this drive?!?!?!
He used CloneCD 4.2.0.2, SD 2.90.040 and his LITEON combo, so I’d say “yes”! But Alcohol will work as well.

I’ve got both the 52327s and 48161H just bought it because of Generals Zero Hour, but both burners give a total miss on sd2.9040 (that’s on disc 1) using CCD, BW and alcohol.
When running there will be a tmp error. Or if hide media is not on it will tell you to insert the correct disc (as usual).
unknown pattern 9b6d, 15fa and maybe 3045 are causing the trouble.

Btw. I also have a new clean machine on which I don’t have any burning software and I read with a normal dvd-rom and the original is even a no go.

Can you explain that?

one other thing… is it normal for the drive not to give a red led if it is burning a disc? Other models from Lite-on do this, but this one doesn’t

Originally posted by Jay Sea
Btw. I also have a new clean machine on which I don’t have any burning software and I read with a normal dvd-rom and the original is even a no go.

If the original doesn’t work, you can hardly expect your copies to do so. :o :wink:

I dove a little deaper in to this:
The weak sectors:
390 had pattern 15FA. This sector came out to be bad on the backup.
714 had pattern 3045. This result is: sector 713+714+715+716 are bad on the backup.

I used different firmware and results are the same: KH0M and KH0N (the first came with the drive)

conclusion: Backup won’t run aka. tmp error

If the original doesn’t work, you can hardly expect your copies to do so.

I know, but on my laptop the original does work.
The original is not faulty… that’s the strange part.

Bioware committed a monumental cockup when they blacklisted LITEON burners in a Neverwinter Nights patch. Maybe you should visit the official game forum to see what’s happening

cannot find a forum on that anywhere

Anything here

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=browse_forum&d=6471

http://www.bfcentral.com/

My trouble was with Generals Zero Hour

is it normal for the drive not to give a red led if it is burning a disc? Yes.

I bought BF 1942 Road to Rome in the meantime. It’s somewhat Safedisc between 2.5x and 2.9x, maybe 2.8, and I cannot copy that one - it gives a crash on verification. I can copy 2.5x, 2.9x with CCD (under Win98SE). According to www.cdfreaks.com, you can copy SD 3.1 with Alcohol by unchecking weak sector enhancing.

I play the SD 2.9x-Copy on a PC without burner or burning software installed, under Win98SE.