No hub printable DL dvd+R?

vbimport

Sometimes I shoot video for dance school recital that last 3 hours and I want to put the video on dvd, with photo label printed on the dvd.

So far, I’ve been using TY watershield 16x dvd-R 4.7G.

To improve quality, I would like to use dual layer discs, but there seems to be no DL disc that is glossy and hub printable.

I would also like to use dvd+R for better reliability. But there isn’t even a glossy hub printable dvd+R, never mind DL.

Is there some conspiracy going on; why wouldn’t anyone make these media? And why do they make non hub printable disc? Anyone who wants to print to the media is probably going to welcome a larger surface to print on.

In case of DVD+R DL you need to search for “[B]double[/B] layer DVD+R”. :wink:

Is dual-layer a quality boost?

I thought the data was stored serially - one bit being read after another - not combined for qualitative increases.

I thought a 200Mb data file would be only 200Mb in size (therefore, in quality), and layering it wouldn’t mean Track 2 was improving Track 1’s quality as if it was a dimensional increase.

I thought DL was only an issue of Capacity, not of Quality.

Yes? No?

Also, I have thought that since DVD-R was the original ‘spec’ and this is what DVD Players first look for, this would be the most compatible of all formats, not the Plus variant.

Yes? No?

It’s not that easy…
DVD-RAM was first, then DVD-R and then came DVD[B][B]+RW[/B][/B]!
Philips and Ricoh needed some time to give us DVD+R at last, including their “marketing trick” called Bitsetting.

With DL media you have at least not that many crappor brands and discs available to choose from like with DVD±R…

And as far as the quality:

The increase in storage capacity allows for an increase in bitrate. The higher the bitrate, the more information you can store for a given frame.

Ideally, with a high-quality encoder, a higher bitrate will result in the best DVD quality video you can find. That’s why various programs warn you that taking a large/long movie from a pressed DL disc and putting it on a single layer DVD+/-R will lower the quality–and you have to decide if that loss in quality is worth it. The same is true of any digital media format, and is why there are people who like lossless audio over MP3/AAC/other lossy formats.

Albert, yes, of course - larger file over same time-period means “greater bitrate”. Yes.

[QUOTE=burnthruDVD;2649957]
Is there some conspiracy going on; why wouldn’t anyone make these media? And why do they make non hub printable disc? Anyone who wants to print to the media is probably going to welcome a larger surface to print on.[/QUOTE]

Wild guess: the market for such products is ever shrinking. In order to make the most money, you provide one good for all the masses to consume. And the cheaper of the two is likely the disc with the smaller printing surface–if only because handling the disc during production is more difficult when you have to avoid marring the printable surface for later use.

I could be completely off on all that, though, and maybe a deeper search (as chef suggests) will turn up exactly what you want. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=burnthruDVD;2649957]Sometimes I shoot video for dance school recital that last 3 hours and I want to put the video on dvd, with photo label printed on the dvd.

So far, I’ve been using TY watershield 16x dvd-R 4.7G.

To improve quality, I would like to use dual layer discs, but there seems to be no DL disc that is glossy and hub printable.

I would also like to use dvd+R for better reliability. But there isn’t even a glossy hub printable dvd+R, never mind DL.

Is there some conspiracy going on; why wouldn’t anyone make these media? And why do they make non hub printable disc? Anyone who wants to print to the media is probably going to welcome a larger surface to print on.[/QUOTE]
I’ve been on the same quest for a few years now. There are glossy DVD+R DL available made by MBI. The burn quality of those was poor enough that I never considered buying more.

I’ve been pestering Fred Perez over at Falcon to release a glossy version of their double layer for a couple years now. I’m told that this is such a small niche market, it was difficult to justify the investment required to bring out that product.

I had all but given up on seeing it happen. A quick trip to FTI’s website and EUREKA! They’ve just released them :clap:. Their waterproof glossy smart guard hub printables yield great looking prints. I’ll be contacting Fred for expected arrival date in my area, don’t hesitate to do the same :).

I hear “such a niche market” often but I keep wondering, “So you’ve put it out there for a couple of years and seen what the market really is?”

NO.

But they hire some “expert” who never used it themselves and then decry “It’s unwanted!” Yeah. Right.

I will stick with the Minus R’s anyway because I’m only doing finalized videos. The Data Discs I burn could use an occasional MultiSession, but when I do Search & Restore operations, wading thru even 4Gb of data can be mind-numbing at times. I can hardly wait to convert things to BD or, if the Chinese are successful, their XD standard.

If Stormy would get me my 12Tb drives, I probably wouldn’t care that much. I think he’s holding out on purpose, actually…

DeanW, I’m glad that you can pester SOMEONE and gain improvements for the rest of the world. Honestly.

Yes, I was a little frustrated to hear that my “Holy Grail” in the DL world was not a top priority :(. I suspect that Falcon’s growing sales and recognition in the professional market has finally put up the kind of numbers for them to make this “niche” market more attractive.

I hope that my conversations with Fred about the glaring lack of a professional grade glossy DVD+R DL helped to bring them around :bigsmile:. In all fairness to Falcon, they are the only optical media manufacturer that has continued to seriously invest in print surface R&D and they have come out with some unique new printables in the past couple years that I’ve made good use of. Their low cost DVD-R glossies are smoother than the orange peel surface on TY’s attempt at a lower cost glossy.

I’ll get busy with pestering for that 12TB drive, do whatever I can to help you with your quest :bigsmile:.

Seriously, wouldn’t EVERYONE love to have a few 12Tb drives in their computer? “Sure… I have that file somewhere… ah yes… DOOM cheat codes… the REAL God mode…”

None of these silly Win7-8 God Modes - good grief, is THAT what Microsoft thinks is a “God mode”?!! Good grief, an OS God Mode to me means “I control every aspect of every UI…” Not just a centralized menu system of what they standardly offer!

But… back to the program…

Printing surfaces - “Smoother than an orange peel” - the reminds me of some of the Cat’s Tongue surfaces on early RITEK disks. Put tuna on them, set them out for cats to lick off and cats would come away with a scorched tongue! Sheesh… I think sand castles offered a smoother surface. Of course, when we were cutting raw timber and we needed new sanders, we could always pop open a RITEK box and use those. Mahogney never stood a chance…

That reminds me…where did I put that disc with the Serious Sam cheat codes?

That 12 TB HD will be a beautiful thing:iagree:. I tad costly at the start for redundant back-ups, though.

There will be no more talk of torturing cats in this thread :cop:

Yes, there have been a few pathetic print surfaces along the way that leave you scratching your head(with one of the discs?)…what were they thinking:confused:

I do wonder if H.265 upcoming will help in this.

[QUOTE=SubZero;2651054]I do wonder if H.265 upcoming will help in this.[/QUOTE]

That is a fascinating notion. It does seem possible that the viability of DVD+R DL and possibly DVD-R as a video distribution channel could benefit from that new standard. While streaming video will certainly continue to overtake optical media as the most common consumption avenue, it seems likely that h265 can only help to lengthen the useful life of current optical media going forward.

To anyone else a bit excited about finally having a good glossy DVD+R DL around, here’s a link to what Falcon finally got around to bringing us.

Now to watch their re-sellers’ sites to wait for them to show up.