No great DVD burners to buy

vbimport

It seems like you have to make too many compromises to get a DVD burner these days. You either have to sacrifice features or quality to get what you want.

I’ve been waiting for the 811 to have its firmware fixed for quality. Seems like the burn quality for the 811 and other Lite On drives is substandard at best. (back in the CD-R days Lite On was the king of value burners.)

Then you have drives like the NEC 2500 which seemed promising at first, but then have all sorts of obscure errors and problems, and then lacks features such as book setting, and slow DVD Video extraction. (although I’m sure www.herrie.org will issue a firmware to fix this).

In any case, any thoughts on the 811? Am I overly concerned with lackluster k-probe scans?

what “obscure errors and problems” are u referring to for the 2500A? users have random problems with all drives, and i haven’t seen the 2500A to be more problem-prone than other drives. the dvd rip limit is easily removed with the use of hacked firmwares.

I don’t think it a difficult choice because of pricelevel. Stuff are so cheap now adays.

Got a 411s to do kprobescans and booktype with.

I got to have a NEC ND2500A too, because off good burnquality.

Originally posted by AZImmortal
what “obscure errors and problems” are u referring to for the 2500A? users have random problems with all drives, and i haven’t seen the 2500A to be more problem-prone than other drives. the dvd rip limit is easily removed with the use of hacked firmwares.

Yeah, you have to wait until the next generation NEC comes out before you can openly discuss anything that may be wrong with the current king of the hill …

(I guess fans of the latest and greatest can be a little sensitive about their drives too, eh?)

You know, it never ceases to amaze me the number of people who justifiably spend countless hours researching for the “best” DVD burner available, purchase it, and subsequently end up nulling that burner by purchasing substandard media. But what is more unjust, is that the burner of choice is then given a poor review/opinion because it fails to perform up to its expectations.

Moral of the story: If you are going to put forth the effort and money to purchase the “best” burner…don’t go buying the crappiest/cheapest media for it. It is not the manufacturer of the burner or the burner’s fault. Remember: “Crap in = Crap out”

Personally, I use Taiyo Yudens. Yes, alot more expensive than those $0.69 per disk specials, but a whole lot more reliable. I have yet to burn a coaster with any of my burners (Sony DRU-500A; Lite On 411s; NEC 2500A).

Just my two cents.