No gaming in XP?

When I still had XP on my desktop, I often had the problem that I not could play games. After switching to directX mode (by starting a game) my screen would go blank for 10sec, and return to the desktop afterwards. After reinstalling DirectX I could play 1 game, then the problem would occur again. Reinstalling XP would help for a couple of days, after that the problem came back.
My GPU (by that time, recently bought a new one): Geforce 2mx with all kinds of Detonator drivers. Ofcourse the VIA 4-in-1 where installed.
I put 2k back on it, no problem!

Now I’ve got XP on my laptop and again got problems with games. Often when I start a game, my screen goes blank (switching to DirectX mode) and that’s it… I have to reboot by pressing the pwr button for 4 secs.
After playing around with the hardware acceleration setting, I can play a couple of games and the problem returns. I already tried all kinds of drivers and DirectX versions, but no solve there. OpenGL games work fine btw!
My GPU: Sis 650 (chipset integrated).

Does anybody know how to solve this problem? About the desktop, I don’t care, since I’ve got 2k running on it. The laptop I want to function properly…

Is it a via board? (sis video chip only, or sis entire chipset?)
I find the via drivers cause issues.

The windows default via drivers are the only via drivers I can use to keep my system stable!

I’ve tried previous versions and latest versions.

Also the new via drivers default to install AGP in turbo mode which has always caused problems in any version of windows. If it gives you the option, try using AGP in normal mode.

In addition, the newer geforce 2 drivers became an issue.
Try reversing the driver back to the original winxp drivers.

Also try turning off driver mirroring in the registry. What you’ve installed may not be what winxp is actually trying to use! (www.xptweak.com)

Finally try patching the directx video (driver file) issue by installing the single hibernation patch available on the microsoft website(incorporated in SP1). It fixed the issue with the latest Nvidia drivers on my system.

(Not much point anymore, I changed to a Radeon 9000)

Nope, my laptop has a Sis chipset (P4 cpu)…

I think the hibernation patch would be the way to go. It patches a Direct3D file which causes issues with microsofts direct3D screensavers, and hence all direct3D programs.

The other aternative is to try installing directx 9 (microsoft beta, super-alpha by any other standards).

The last thing maybe is that your laptop has no actual 3D acceleration. Alot of IBM thinkpads (and many others) come with neomagic/magicgrah chips which karkit when you try to use any 3D accelerated games. Opengl is handled by the CPU OK, but Direct3D doesn’t seem to work in all cases (what can I say, it’s microsoft)

My laptop does have 3D accell (pretty worthless, but good enough for Q3).

Installing DX9 won’t help, since it will time out at 8-1-2003.

I’ll try the hibernation patch!

What kind of games are you playing Dee- ehn?

As far as i know Windows XP are having problems with some older games and can only be run in compatibility mode.

Also some old games (which use 3dfx Glide3d) are having problems with newer Geforce cards.There are some 3dfx emulators avaliable on the internet.

there are not only the games!!!Drivers have also prop. in XP!!!

To be hounest, I still think XP to be one big problem :slight_smile:

Just flaming ;). Serious: all kinds of games, old ones, newer ones… doesn’t matter!

Most of the time I borrow a game from a friend of mine who buys all the stuff. I borrow it, play it for 2 nights and give it back… I get bored easily, when playing games. So there’s not much time to test them :wink:

Anything new is a problem cos they have to work out the bugs.

Even intel have a list as long as your arm of errata for their CPU’s.

New things are buggy.

I like XP. Once its running, it stays running.

it only seems stable when compared to other windows os’s :wink:

I had a similar issue with my current video card last spring when I got it. Turns out the MOBO was causing these kinds of problems because it didn’t like AGP 2X and Bus Mastering (even though it was capable of it). Forcing it to AGP 1X and forcing Bus Mastering off solved the problems until I got my present MOBO. You may want to have a look at this.

Just an another suggestion, good luck :slight_smile:

I had some problems with my video card,
because it somehow only worked in 1x AGP. I had to force it to work 4x with nvmax. Another problem could be old mobo bios. Update it.

Is your soundblaster integrated ?

Originally posted by millenium
[B]I had some problems with my video card,
because it somehow only worked in 1x AGP. I had to force it to work 4x with nvmax. Another problem could be old mobo bios. Update it.

Is your soundblaster integrated ? [/B]

A BIOS date is not available. Also the AGP rate cannot be set (guess because it’s integrated video). My sound (AC97) is integrated as well…

I think it’s the “magic” AC 97. I also have it… First of all go to DXDIAG on your comp. and see if there are any conflicts.
You need to install souncard drivers which are working with Win ME or Win 98 SE. One of these should work ( I don’t remeber which one ) . Tell us if you have succeded.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

A BIOS date is not available. Also the AGP rate cannot be set (guess because it’s integrated video). My sound (AC97) is integrated as well… [/B]

Try disabling anything which isn’t essential. Then when it’s up and running, activate 1 at a time, until you find the problem!

I still think it’s the AC 97. I had some problems with it and Win ME. The thing is
that Win 98 Se drivers also work in “win
dos box” and drivers for Win ME work
only with Win (XP is not an exception).
So try these drivers.

maybe this will help you http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327979 its worth a try

No it’s not the Indeo codec that I need. The games crash when switching to DirectX mode…

if you search the ms knowledge base the d3d.dll update is no. Q306676 this is the one to update the direct3d in xp

Originally posted by slayerking
if you search the ms knowledge base the d3d.dll update is no. Q306676 this is the one to update the direct3d in xp

Thanx, gonna try that one :wink: