No extension: Windows XP D-Day arrives Monday, June 30

vbimport

I’m sticking with XP pro till it no longer does what I want with 2 gig and a dual AMD 4600.
Vista may look cool, and might be getting better but it kinda reminds me of ME only this time they wont admit it sucks and give up.
I hate being FORCED to upgrade just because they say we have to, then also being forced to build twice the machine just to be as fast and stable as mine is now.

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2084891]

You might find it interesting that in Europe Vista is now outselling XP in the private sector.
This implies a large market have far from “written Vista off”.
[/QUOTE]
I was of the understanding that M$ stopped XP Home sales a year or so ago, and replaced it with Vista Home premium & Vista Basic. Only XP pro was being sold.

If XP Home sales have now stopped, I’d certainly hope that Vista is outselling XP in the private sector, otherwise it’s evident that Europe obviously hates Vista.

[quote=debro;2088674]I was of the understanding that M$ stopped XP Home sales a year or so ago, and replaced it with Vista Home premium & Vista Basic. Only XP pro was being sold.

If XP Home sales have now stopped, I’d certainly hope that Vista is outselling XP in the private sector, otherwise it’s evident that Europe obviously hates Vista.[/quote]
It is evident Debro, or they wouldn’t be working so hard to release Windows 7. I agree , but this is just my opinion, I know Vista cannot survive without the business sector, and its inroads into the business sector in the USA have been slow to say the least.:wink:

Alan, can I ask if you’ve tried Vista on your personal PC, and if so, what you think?

As I have to say I reserved judgement til I installed and used it myself. Taking business PCs out of the equation for now :slight_smile:

[quote=alan1476;2084940]Hi cynthia_old, I really have no idea, but I hope they will learn from their mistakes with Vista and make an operating system that at least works with the software that MS sells, like Great Plains, an accounting program that cost my company almost 100,000USD after training .[/quote]Looked at it and there is an updated version of that program that supports Vista. :slight_smile:

Hi cynthia_old, I am going to have ask our IT people about that, we tried it on a test basis back when Service Pack1 came out for Vista and have been working with MS support on this issue. As of last Friday it was still not working as it should. MS support has told us that they are fixing the issues in Windows 7. So I am really at a loss to explain it.:o

At the moment there are not a lot reasons using Windows Vista. I guess the most important reason for the people is the transparent desktop Aero Glass. That is always the most important thing I read…

I also had a Windows Vista Business (32 Bit) on my Shuttle SD32 installed (I have 2 legal Vista 32 business licenses!) and I was not impressed by the new features. Even the “security and safety” of Vista is doubtful. I tried some things and Vista UAC was not asking for permisson and with this mehanism I tried (I’m Software developer) it is easy possible to put worms or trojans on your system…

The only “feature” for me that Vista has an XP not is DirectX 10 support. But I do not need DX10 :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW. at the moment I do not have Vista installed… :wink:

The thing I like with Vista is that when a program crashes, you don’t need to restart the computer. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cynthia_old;2088853]The thing I like with Vista is that when a program crashes, you don’t need to restart the computer. :)[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I found that. :iagree:

[QUOTE=cynthia_old;2088853]The thing I like with Vista is that when a program crashes, you don’t need to restart the computer. :)[/QUOTE]

That also works with Windows XP and Windows 2000 and Windows NT4.0 also. All of this systems are very stable. Instable systems were Windows 9x/me.

But if you install a bad programmed device driver you can make the best system instable. :iagree:

[QUOTE=TM;2088869]That also works with Windows XP and Windows 2000 and Windows NT4.0 also. All of this systems are very stable. Instable systems were Windows 9x/me.

But if you install a bad programmed device driver you can make the best system instable. :iagree:[/QUOTE]Definitely have to agree to both points.
Even since the NT series you didn’t have that problem anymore. Windows 3.11 was unstable too.

[quote=Arachne;2088769][B]Alan[/B], can I ask if you’ve tried Vista on your personal PC, and if so, what you think?

As I have to say I reserved judgement til I installed and used it myself. Taking business PCs out of the equation for now :)[/quote]
Yes, we have it on 3 PCs at work( out of 115). We try all our software on it. We also provide feedback to MS. As we are not allowed to download anything at work, the boss has a special filter on the servers that wont even allow you to visit some websites, much less download anything. So its hard for me to assess the OS, but from what I have seen I am not impressed at all, we have the 32 bit and 64 bit, noone at work even wants it for free. As for my personal PC, I am sticking with XP Pro, I have absolutely no problems and I will not upgrade again until Windows 7 is released and XP Pro is no longer supported.

Yo-

Got me two full XP Home oem O/S’s as backups for under $80 each - shipped with sp2 -eh!!!

[quote=bigmike7;2089105]Yo-

Got me two full XP Home oem O/S’s as backups for under $80 each - shipped with sp2 -eh!!![/quote]
Good thinking bigmike7.:iagree:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2089105]Yo-

Got me two full XP Home oem O/S’s as backups for under $80 each - shipped with sp2 -eh!!![/QUOTE]

Good Idea but I would’ve choosen Full XP Pro SP2 and slipstreamed SP3 onto those cds making them Full XP pro SP3. Now I have to just look around for those darn OEM XP pro sp2 online now.

If anyone finds a deal on XP Pro 64 bit i’d like to know please.

[QUOTE=Bob;2089140]If anyone finds a deal on XP Pro 64 bit i’d like to know please.[/QUOTE]

Yo Bob-

Cheapest I’ve seen it was about $130 shipped for a legit version-

I tried XP Pro 64 a few months back - and didn’t like it - found that a whole bunch of software did not work with it - or didn’t work with it correctly - gave up and loaded XP Home - which works just fine for me and me softwares-eh!!

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2089169]Yo Bob-

Cheapest I’ve seen it was about $130 shipped for a legit version-

I tried XP Pro 64 a few months back - and didn’t like it - found that a whole bunch of software did not work with it - or didn’t work with it correctly - gave up and loaded XP Home - which works just fine for me and me softwares-eh!![/QUOTE]XP Home huh I’ve always had XP Pro 32 bit but want to try 64 bit anyway.

Anyone else know of a good deal let me know.

[QUOTE=Bob;2090059]XP Home huh I’ve always had XP Pro 32 bit but want to try 64 bit anyway.

Anyone else know of a good deal let me know.[/QUOTE]
Hi Bob

It is difficuilt to day if I have a good deal. Microsoft grants a “Downgrade” from Vista. The problem is you must have a Setup CD and a license key. during activation you have to tell the nice woman at the phone (hopefully wyou’ll have a woman @ the end of the line) that you’ll downgrade your Vista 64 (business / Ultimate) to XP 64 Prof.

The only problem is the setup CD and the valid license key. The license key should not come from the “darker parts” of the internet… That will not work since you will not get a new XP 64 key. Unfortunately the XP 32 bit keys are not working with XP 64 bit…

But finally I’m not sure if XP 64 is a good deal. It is still a niche product and not very well supported. I guess a combination XP Prof (32 bit) and Vista 64 bit is a better combination…

[QUOTE=TM;2090142]Hi Bob

It is difficuilt to day if I have a good deal. Microsoft grants a “Downgrade” from Vista. The problem is you must have a Setup CD and a license key. during activation you have to tell the nice woman at the phone (hopefully wyou’ll have a woman @ the end of the line) that you’ll downgrade your Vista 64 (business / Ultimate) to XP 64 Prof.

The only problem is the setup CD and the valid license key. The license key should not come from the “darker parts” of the internet… That will not work since you will not get a new XP 64 key. Unfortunately the XP 32 bit keys are not working with XP 64 bit…

But finally I’m not sure if XP 64 is a good deal. It is still a niche product and not very well supported. I guess a combination XP Prof (32 bit) and Vista 64 bit is a better combination…[/QUOTE]Thanks TM but i don’t want to go that route. I just wanna buy an XP Pro 64 bit CD for cheap. OEM is fine.