No extension: Windows XP D-Day arrives Monday, June 30

vbimport

Story here > http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/96295

And if Windows 7 is out sooner, I might try it (on someone elses computer;)) but I stick with XP Pro until its dead.:clap: Like the story said, they will support it until 2014, but jsut not sell it directly, most likely EBay and other online retailers will sell XP and XP Pro for the next 10 years.

I’d like to pick up a cheap copy of XP Pro 64 bit and give it a try. I’m liking Vi$ta Ultimate SP1 64 bit…but it wasn’t cheap :\

XP 64 bit driver support already lags behind Vista 64 bit.
Many dealers offer no support or guarantees for XP 64 bit.
It is already dead. :bigsmile:

64 bit XP is a proven winner, 64bit Vista will be history in a year or so.

I don’t know so much about the Vista64 comment, but I totally agree about XP64. :iagree: :clap: :iagree:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2084716]64 bit XP is a proven winner, 64bit Vista will be history in a year or so.[/QUOTE]

I can only presume that you don’t use XP 64 bit.
If you did.
You wouldn’t make that comment.
XP 64 bit has been poorly supported since dot.
Vista is already better supported.
Fact.

[quote=soulsurvivor;2084723]I can only presume that you don’t use XP 64 bit.
If you did.
You wouldn’t make that comment.
XP 64 bit has been poorly supported since dot.
Vista is already better supported.
Fact.[/quote]
Fact: Vista 64 bit has been a problem for most major business programs. It wont survive, its for techies not the masses. Thats just the way it is,:flower:

Fact: running XP Pro32 & XP Pro64 on this machine. Read the sig.

New game at CDF " Fact or Fiction" LOL. Vista is a bad joke from MS. Soon we will see what Windows 7 brings.:iagree:

I like the game, LOL. I tried VISTA64 for a while & personally didn’t have any problems with it, everything I needed to do & use, I could. I only gave it up, to try out XP64 & just never went back. I know it was a disaster for the business community though & I did read the horror stories. Windows 7 will be interesting, but then Windows always is at the start>

alan1476,
In your first post you compare XP 64 and Vista 64.
XP 64 is no longer a developement area for third parties.
Vista 64 is.
As beef barley states, they had no problems with Vista 64, but prefers XP.
As is their right.
But I wonder if they would have been so impressed with XP 64 at the equivalent stage of it’s lifespan.
To reply to my post about XP vs Vista with the business angle is changing the goal posts somewhat.
I accept that the business side has not been so good.
But this was not the original premise of your first post.

[quote=soulsurvivor;2084751]alan1476,
In your first post you compare XP 64 and Vista 64.
XP 64 is no longer a developement area for third parties.
Vista 64 is.
As beef barley states, they had no problems with Vista 64, but prefers XP.
As is their right.
But I wonder if they would have been so impressed with XP 64 at the equivalent stage of it’s lifespan.
To reply to my post about XP vs Vista with the business angle is changing the goal posts somewhat.
I accept that the business side has not been so good.
But this was not the original premise of your first post.[/quote]
My point was that I dont think Vista64bit will have a life span anywhere near the length of time that XP has. I did not mean to change the “goal posts” I was just stating a fact. The business community , at here in the US has not been very happy with any Vista OP, why would they make Windows7 so soon after, if it were embraced by all who used it?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2084875]My point was that I dont think Vista64bit will have a life span anywhere near the length of time that XP has. I did not mean to change the “goal posts” I was just stating a fact. The business community , at here in the US has not been very happy with any Vista OP, why would they make Windows7 so soon after, if it were embraced by all who used it?[/QUOTE]

As your post #5 was in response to mine. #4.
Which related to driver/support.
With me saying that XP 64 is already dead.
I assumed that this was the topic.
The business issue is more to do with third party support than actual MS flaws.
I am not saying Vista is perfect by the way.
Yes I have read your posts about MS Northwind, if I recall correctly.
This red herring of Windows 7.
Windows 7 was started before Vista beta RC1 was released.
I concede they appear to have changed the target date for Windows 7 release.
But as it is theoretical at present.
We shall see.
As this fact fiction seems to amuse you.
You might find it interesting that in Europe Vista is now outselling XP in the private sector.
This implies a large market have far from “written Vista off”.
Much of these sales relate to 64 bit.
Although Linux OS, like unbuntu 8.04 & Mandriva One 2008 Spring.
Have come at an opportune time.

[quote=soulsurvivor;2084891]As your post #5 was in response to mine. #4.
Which related to driver/support.
With me saying that XP 64 is already dead.
I assumed that this was the topic.
The business issue is more to do with third party support than actual MS flaws.
I am not saying Vista is perfect by the way.
Yes I have read your posts about MS Northwind, if I recall correctly.
This red herring of Windows 7.
Windows 7 was started before Vista beta RC1 was released.
I concede they appear to have changed the target date for Windows 7 release.
But as it is theoretical at present.
We shall see.
As this fact fiction seems to amuse you.
You might find it interesting that in Europe Vista is now outselling XP in the private sector.
This implies a large market have far from “written Vista off”.
Much of these sales relate to 64 bit.
Although Linux OS, like unbuntu 8.04 & Mandriva One 2008 Spring.
Have come at an opportune time.[/quote]

Posted by soulsurvivor

Of course it is, noone has a choice when buying an OEM computer anymore unless you order it from someone like Dell where you can customize.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2084927]Of course it is, [B][U]noone has a choice[/U][/B] when buying an OEM computer anymore unless you order it from someone like Dell where you can customize.[/QUOTE]

The sales to which I refer are by choice.
By private sector, am referring to those build their own.
These folk would rather have a USB port chopped off.
Then buy from Dell.

If people have problems with Vista, then I can’t see that Windows 7 will be much better for them when it’s released, as it looks as a Windows version based on Vista with some new added functions. The demand on hardware will not be lesser than Vista in Windows 7.

Vista before SP1 was a :a program, but with SP1 it’s working very nice.

[quote=soulsurvivor;2084933]The sales to which I refer are by choice.
By private sector, am referring to those build their own.
[B]These folk would rather have a USB port chopped off.[/B]
[B]Then buy from Dell.[/B][/quote]
I certainly agree with this statement. But I am wondering where these statistics come from, every source is not always to be believed, but as you say it might be popular among the private sector in Europe, I have no idea, but I do know that it cannot survive without the support of the business sector. :wink:

[quote=cynthia_old;2084936]If people have problems with Vista, then I can’t see that Windows 7 will be much better for them when it’s released, as it looks as a Windows version based on Vista with some new added functions. The demand on hardware will not be lesser than Vista in Windows 7.

Vista before SP1 was a :a program, but with SP1 it’s working very nice.[/quote]
Hi cynthia_old, I really have no idea, but I hope they will learn from their mistakes with Vista and make an operating system that at least works with the software that MS sells, like Great Plains, an accounting program that cost my company almost 100,000USD after training .

[QUOTE=soulsurvivor;2084933]
These folk would rather have a USB port chopped off.
Then buy from Dell.[/QUOTE]

LOL nicely put :bigsmile:

But I like me Dell…and am liking Vista so far :)…however, I do have and will keep XP Pro (32) on the other PC. Best of both worlds IMO. :slight_smile: