"No disk" error (Panasonic DMR-ES35V - DVD recorder / VCR combo)

hi my recorder makes a knocking sound and it tells me theres no disk when it realy has one can you help me thanks

[QUOTE=chamo;2254874]hi my recorder makes a knocking sound and it tells me theres no disk when it realy has one can you help me thanks[/QUOTE]

When a Panasonic is giving “no read” and there are “grinding” or “scrubbing” noises this usually indicates that the DVD Drive rubber hub needs cleaning.

When a Panasonic is giving “no read” and there are loud “clunking” or “chugging” noises this usually indicates that the lens is dirty or has failed. Other problems may include a failing or failed Digital PCB or some problem with the ribbon cables from the DVD Drive to the Digital PCB (on 2006 models such as the DMR-ES35V and perhaps a few other international models) or there is some problem with the ribbon cables to the DVD Drive on-board controller board (on 2005, 2007, 2008 models and perhaps a few other international models).

For rubber hub and lens cleaning advice see this thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/

You will also find helpful photos in that thread or links to other posts with helpful photos.

Before securing the DVD Drive lid be sure that the roller/slider at the rear of the disc tray is positioned to the far left. Do not extend the disc tray with the drive lid removed. Complications are sure to arise.

i had a similar problem ended up the laser went bad ordered NEW from panasonic so i thought,they sent a rebuilt one and said it was new ,you could tell from the rub marks on the screw holes and drive .It gets better I find a note in the box that they want the old drive back or ready for this a core charge will be applied to my card ? now i don’t know about any body else but when i order new and pay a premium price i expect new with no core charge. I called them and explained the problem the girl said oh you want a new one i said well yes thats what i paid for she made a note on my acct and another about o core sent a shipping return label but will not send a new one until they get that one back ummm they have my cc number? poor business practices from them this is just a fyi to watch what you get look at it closely and complain .

[QUOTE=youstop;2677948]i had a similar problem ended up the laser went bad ordered NEW from panasonic so i thought,they sent a rebuilt one and said it was new ,you could tell from the rub marks on the screw holes and drive .It gets better I find a note in the box that they want the old drive back or ready for this a core charge will be applied to my card ? now i don’t know about any body else but when i order new and pay a premium price i expect new with no core charge. I called them and explained the problem the girl said oh you want a new one i said well yes thats what i paid for she made a note on my acct and another about o core sent a shipping return label but will not send a new one until they get that one back ummm they have my cc number? poor business practices from them this is just a fyi to watch what you get look at it closely and complain .[/QUOTE]

This sounds like another horror story about the Panasonic facility in McAllen Texas.

This post will direct you to a better source for Panasonic DVD Recorder service/repair: