No -Disc read

vbimport

I know this question was posted some time ago, but can’t seem to locate it

I have Panosonic SC-HT70 -5 disc player, that reads no-disc on dvds and cds. It skipped and stopped on a dvd while playing. Now it won’t read anything dvd.

[QUOTE=azcowbo;2527764]I know this question was posted some time ago, but can’t seem to locate it

I have Panosonic SC-HT70 -5 disc player, that reads no-disc on dvds and cds. It skipped and stopped on a dvd while playing. Now it won’t read anything dvd.[/QUOTE]

Your Panasonic DVD player dates from the 2001/2002 period. I have no familiarity with Panasonic DVD players of that vintage. I am familiar with later Panasonic DVD recorders and the need for regular cleaning of the DVD Drive lens, rubber hub and spindle area. Perhaps your DVD player needs this same type of cleaning. Of course, with a product of this vintage there is a possibility that the laser assembly has failed. If that’s the case the cleaning procedures will be of no help in restoring functionality to your DVD player.

Some of the DVD recorder DVD Drives of the of the pre-2004 period are very difficult to open for the regular cleaning procedure described more fully in the “Fixing your Panny…” MyCe thread.

Here is a slightly edited excerpt of a DigaDo post found in a Panasonic DVD Recorder thread at the AVS Forum:

[B]CLEANING THE LENS AND RUBBER HUB/SPINDLE AREA WITHOUT OPENING THE CASE AND REMOVING THE DVD DRIVE LID.[/B]

Jjeff has suggested two good cleaning procedures that do not require opening the case or removing the DVD Drive lid. Jjeff’s procedures are summarized here:

1. The first procedure uses saliva to moisten the clear hub area of the underside of a DVD, then place the DVD into the disc tray and allow the DVD to spin-up. Then repeat that procedure. This procedure should remove most of the dust, debris and other soiling from the rubber hub. Then use any of several lens cleaning discs for that purpose.

2. The second procedure is depicted in the first attached photo that shows an unmounted DVD Drive from a 2007 DMR-EZ17 DVD recorder. Extend the disc tray and disconnect the power cord with the disc tray extended. Manually position the disc tray around half way out. This should affort somewhat limited access to the lens, rubber hub and spindle area. The second attached photo should help identify the laser lens seen just to the left of the rubber hub and spindle (turntable) area of an unmounted DVD Drive from a circa 2003 DMR-E100H HDD/DVD recorder. Moisten the end of a long-handled cotton swab with 91% isopropyl alcohol. (Long-handled cotton swabs are sometimes found where medical products are sold.) Use a flashlight to observe the lens, rubber hub and spindle areas. Then, [I]gently roll the moistened swab over the lens [B]once only[/B][/I]. Following that, roll the swab along the rubber hub. The rubber hub will turn freely as the swab rolls. The swab should also be moved front to rear across the hub in order to remove stubborn dust, debris and oily residue. Then manually close the disc tray or reconnect the power cord and press the open/close button to close the disc tray.

[B]NOTICE: As this advice has been developed for use with a DVD drive in early model Panasonic DVD recorders, I can not assure you that the procedures and photos will apply to your DVD player.[/B]