No CD in Drive Problem with Roxio Drag to Disc

vbimport

Hi all
when using (Roxio Easy CD-DVD Media Creator 7.5 drag to disc) it keeps saying there is no disk in the recorder, the disc’s are (TDK CD-R80 52xspeed 700mb)
the computer it is a AMD64 3000+ running WinXP Home-SP3 with it’s internal burning engine disabled,
I have tried re-installing Roxio and also un-installing the drive and rebooting so xp will install it again, but the same thing happens.
I do not want to do a system restore or a windows repair unless i have to as a last resort.

the funny thing is when i stick the drive into one of my computers running WinXP Pro it works ok and burns to the above mentioned disc’s.
so that means there is nothing wrong with the drive.

Also i was trying to find firmware for the CD-RW/DVD Rom Combo drive, (Model No: BKM_52x16C) it also says S!PWMx2 on the front which i gather is a type of burning Technology or something.
On the drive it says Ultima but when i try to find it goggle keeps coming up with different drives, so i’m stuck.

any ideas
mac

It looks like your combo is an Artec. This is the link for the firmware:-
http://www.artecusa.com/tech-support-firmware.html.

I found other references to your problem with this drive. That’s not very helpful I’m afraid as none gave a solution.

I did as TimC suggested but nothing seems to happen,
I booted into dos with a XP startup disk, put in the disk with the flash files on it and
the instructions at the A: prompt: “flash 3 w /b b21a31bc” but all i get is a heap of writing on the screen an i don’t get a message telling me to restart.

so i tried the flash tool and ran it on the desktop an selected the combo drive and the source file “v20a31bc.bin”, clicked next to run it and got this message “Cannot Change Drive to Upmode”

so i’m stuck

On your other computer do you have the internal burning engine (presumably you mean Imapi) disabled.
I use D2D & my Imapi services is set to manual. I know that some apps won’t work with Imapi disabled.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem here is with Drag-to-Dump. See, all packet writing software is retrograde and unstable. Just uninstall it and burn CD’s like the rest of us. They cost ten cents each, or even less.

Bingo i cracked it with your Help TimC
this is weird
I did as you suggested and tried the firmware update from Artec, and the version BKM-52X16C Firmware update for Combo Drive 52x16 V. 2.0a wrecked the drive completely, xp could not even see it. I thought it looked funny when it was flashing because it suddenly jumped to the “reboot your computer screen”.

So i downloaded & tried V. 2.10 and it worked, and now both computers see the drive and burn files to disk ok.

I still wonder why it worked ok in one of my computer but would not work in his computer.
ah well that’s computers for you.

ps: I also found out that if you look at the sticker on the back of your drive on the upper left hand corner you will find there are 3 lines of printing, on the 3rd line is the list of your drive version followed by the firmware version.

thanks again for your help TimC

I have to disagree with you about “Roxio’s Drag to Disc” is one of the best ideas that any of the CD Software company’s have come up with. so easy to use.
Do you know that Roxio Burning Software was part of Adaptec before Roxio bought it, and the burning engine in WinXP is based on Adaptec.
oh and by the way, see my other post and you will see that the problem was nothing to do with the Roxio Software.

but thanks for your comments anyway, at lest you did try to help.

mac

I have to disagree with you Gurm about “Roxio’s Drag to Disc” is one of the best ideas that any of the CD Software company’s have come up with. so easy to use.
Do you know that Roxio Burning Software was part of Adaptec before Roxio bought it, and the burning engine in WinXP is based on Adaptec.
oh and by the way, see my other post and you will see that the problem was nothing to do with the Roxio Software.

but thanks for your comments anyway, at lest you did try to help.

mac

Packet writing software makes computers unstable. In some cases it makes them UNUSABLE. It is evil and wrong.

hi

i have had same problem still trying to get a fix , says not recordable cd in drive no matter how i try to do it , found the firmware though , but a bugger figuring out which one is right one , trying that next , did you find a soolution?

regrads

gerry

I can read and write with Drag to Disk, using it on the Windows (2000) machine.

I checked preferences, and I make sure to choose the ISO format (for “any computer”), to write only one session, and to close it.

But when I take it home, and try it on my Mac, the resulting CD won’t mount.

The Mac (OSX or OS 9.2.2) knows the CD is there, it shows up in the System information, correct volume size – but it can’t be mounted with anything I’ve tried – never mounts it on the desktop. Roxio Toast (5.2.3) doesn’t see it at all. Disk Utility sees it but doesn’t consider it mountable.

I’ve tried two different CD drives.

Anyone got a pointer to an explanation or fix for this?