No CD/DVD drives work with my PC - ideas?

Hi all

I have a now aging Asus A8N motherboard. My first, then 2nd IDE DVD drives both stopped working after a time. I then tried a SCSI DVD drive instead, which also appeared to work at first, but this too stopped working. I then gave up, since I can get by without one for most things. But I now need a DVD drive again. I don’t fancy re-building my PC, I just don’t have the time, so I thought perhaps I should just try a USB DVD drive, but before I do I thought I’d see if anyone has any suggestions on fixing my problem first.

I’ve read through the stickies here, so I’ll add some information:
I have a good PSU (decent make, 600W) and the problem happens even when the PC is doing nothing.
The current SCSI drive I have cannot read any disk that I put in it (CD, DVD, blank disk).
The DVD drives I’ve had have been recommended Pioneer and NEC drives.
I have not tried changing the firmware of any of the DVD drives, since I assume the PC should be able to at least read a disk.
I’m running WIN XP

Has anyone got an idea of what my drive problems are, or should I not worry about it, and just get a USB drive.

Many thanks

If you have access to another PC test your drives, you could know if they’re dead or not. If they’re not good anymore, I would investigate the power supply (PS). I don’t know how old your PS is but if your drives are dying while attatched to it, I would think it’s playing tricks on you. Intermitent surges at 1 output can happend depending on the type of PS. Such surges could “burn” your drives.

All though if your drives still power-up while attatched to it (your 600w PS) your problem could be somewhere else.
A lot of times (if not most times) a faulty wire (or connector) is to blame especially in the event of intermitent faults. Is your drives are always connected to the same output from your PS? If so, try another available output cable from your PS…

It’s all about cornering the source of the problem without causing more damage to existing or new hardware.

In the event of an identified faulty power supply, I recommend to replace it without delay since it could cause further damage.

Of course an external USB drive could solve your problem since it has an external PS and is attached to a different motherboard input port. But depending on your budjet and resolve to understand the root cause of your PC’s problem we could carry on the troubleshooting since it could expand the lifespan ou your agin PC. If you desire to continue, inform me on your level of electronics knowledge so I can adapt my answers.

Hope this will help.

Just let me update that my current drive (I’ve had a few) is the Optiarc AD-7200S

[QUOTE=Major Malfunction;2285161]If you have access to another PC test your drives, you could know if they’re dead or not.[/QUOTE]I don’t have one here, but I could test the latest drives.

I don’t know how old your PS is but if your drives are dying while attatched to it, I would think it’s playing tricks on you. Intermitent surges at 1 output can happend depending on the type of PS. Such surges could “burn” your drives.
PS is just a few years old, but it could obviously be causing problems.

All though if your drives still power-up while attatched to it (your 600w PS) your problem could be somewhere else.
The drive I have does open using the power supply, and wer into action to search for a disk, so if power is an issue, I guess it hasn’t completely burnt out the drive.

A lot of times (if not most times) a faulty wire (or connector) is to blame especially in the event of intermitent faults. Is your drives are always connected to the same output from your PS? If so, try another available output cable from your PS…
It probably has always been the same power cable, although I’ve tried different data cable (IDE and SCSI). I’ll see if it’s easy to switch in a minute.

Of course an external USB drive could solve your problem. But depending on your budjet and resolve to understand the root cause of your PC’s problem we could carry on the troubleshooting since it could expand the lifespan ou your agin PC.
I’d like to save the money if possible, and intend to keep the PC for at least another year before upgrading, but this DVD issue is really annoying me.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it

Update:
The power connector I am using is not the same as for the IDE drives I had, as it is a thinner black connector (not a fat white one).

My motherboard has 4 SATA connectors, 2 of which I am using for Hard Drives. I tried swapping these, which lead to booting problems. With the HDs using SATA 1 & 2, I have tried using both 3 & 4 with the DVD drive, and neither option works. After a couple of minutes of the drive scanning a disk, I eject the now warn disk, and test another, with the same results.

I’ve looked for a newer driver for the DVD drive, but have only found supposedly free driver update programs, which go on to tell you that it can automatically update all of your drivers, but that it will cost you $30.

@ Triggaaar,

You don’t have to Pay for Drivers for your Optiarc AD-7200S
Optical Drive. The ‘Drivers’ for your Optiarc AD-7200S Optical Drive are part of and included in the Windows Operating System.

Have you ensured that you have your SATA Controller Port correctly configured to support your Optiarc AD-7200S Optical Drive? Have you ensured that your SATA Controller has the newest most current up to date Driver installed?

For troubleshooting suggest installing the ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program. After installing the ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program Burn a Disk. After burning the Disk with the ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program then post the ImgBurn Log File.

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks for the reply bjkg

[QUOTE=bjkg;2285302]You don’t have to Pay for Drivers for your Optiarc AD-7200S Optical Drive. The ‘Drivers’ for your Optiarc AD-7200S Optical Drive are part of and included in the Windows Operating System.[/QUOTE]Yeah I know I shouldn’t (and won’t) be paying for drivers. I was just trying to see if there were any new ones available, and this annoying driver program appeared on every google result.

Have you ensured that you have your SATA Controller Port correctly configured to support your Optiarc AD-7200S Optical Drive?
I wouldn’t know how to do that? When I go into my bios at startup, it sees the DVD drive fine. Device Manager also sees it. But nothing can read a disk.

Have you ensured that your SATA Controller has the newest most current up to date Driver installed?
No, I don’t know anything about SATA controllers. How do I go about checking? I was also thinking perhaps I’d need a Bios update.

I’m happy to try the ImgBurn, although if I reached the stage where I could burn a disk, I presumably wouldn’t need the file, as my problem would have been fixed?

:iagree:
This is very likely a Sata controller problem.

There are a couple of possible methods to fix the problem:

[list=1.]
[li]If HDDs are not in a Raid configuration:[/li]Make sure, the Sata controller is set to IDE in Bios. Then uninstall Nvidia IDE/Sata drivers using the Nvidia installer in Control Panel --> “Add/Remove Software”. After reboot, Windows should install its own drivers.

[li]Get latest chipset drivers from Nvidia.com and install them[/li]

[li]Buy a PCI Sata controller card (preferably Silicon Image SataLink series), which is either non-Raid, of flashable to non-Raid controller Bios.[/li][/list]
An USB drive should work also (Or install one of your existing drives into an USB enclosure), but you may possibly not be able to reinstall Windows.

Michael

Thanks Michael
I shall try 1. now (not that I know where in Bios to set the Sata controller) - I’m not using RAID

EDIT - ok, I’ve no idea to set the SATA controller to IDE in the Bios.

One section of the bios is IDE Function Setup, where everything (Sata port 1 &2, 3 & 4, SATA DMA Transfer, IDE DMA Transfer Access) is Enabled - I don’t know if that’s relevant.

In the Main section of the Bios, SATA Master Extended IDE is set to Auto (whatever that means)

[QUOTE=Triggaaar;2285332]Thanks Michael
I shall try 1. now (not that I know where in Bios to set the Sata controller) - I’m not using RAID

EDIT - ok, I’ve no idea to set the SATA controller to IDE in the Bios.[/quote]No idea either. I’d have to do the same as you: reading the manual.

One section of the bios is IDE Function Setup, where everything (Sata port 1 &2, 3 & 4, SATA DMA Transfer, IDE DMA Transfer Access) is Enabled - I don’t know if that’s relevant.
I guess, you can enable or disable Sata channels and their DMA function. Leave them “Enabled”

In the Main section of the Bios, SATA Master Extended IDE is set to Auto (whatever that means)
“Auto” looks good.

If you can’t configure Sata operation modes apart from Enabling/Disabling Raid (which should be disabled then), skip that step and continue with the drivers as described above.

Michael

If you need more info about PSUs outputs check out:

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html

[QUOTE=mciahel;2285322]3. Buy a PCI Sata controller card (preferably Silicon Image SataLink series), which is either non-Raid, of flashable to non-Raid controller Bios.[/QUOTE]Does this mean that I might not have a Sata controller at all? And if I want to have a SATA DVD drive, do I need a controller?

I’d have to do the same as you: reading the manual.
Easy fella, I’m trying :slight_smile: I’ve read the motherboard manual and there’s no mention of a sata controller.

If you can’t configure Sata operation modes apart from Enabling/Disabling Raid (which should be disabled then), skip that step and continue with the drivers as described above.
Do you mean some Nvidia chipset drivers? Sorry to be Mr thicky here, but I don’t know which drivers I need.

Thanks again for your help.

My PSU by the way in Enermax EG701AX-VE(W) (24P)

We could be on to a winner here.

I’ve downloaded the nvidia nforce 4 drivers, run the set-up and installed everything it suggested (no mention of SATA) and bingo

It is currently working (I’m going to reserve overwhelming joy until it’s been working for a few days).

For now, thanks all

Hi,

I’ve seen you were successful, but for those who use forum search, I will answer your questions :wink:

[QUOTE=Triggaaar;2285381]Does this mean that I might not have a Sata controller at all? And if I want to have a SATA DVD drive, do I need a controller?[/quote]There is already a Sata controller integrated into the Nforce4 motherboard chipset.
Earlier Sata implementations of some chipset manufacturers have proven to be unreliable with Sata optical drives, this applies to Via chipsets, and also there are often issues reported with earlier Nvidia chipsets.
The add-on controller card is the last resort, if you can’t get your Sata connected drive working at all (and a bad drive could be sorted out).

Easy fella, I’m trying :slight_smile: I’ve read the motherboard manual and there’s no mention of a sata controller.
It might be mentioned indirectly since that is no dedicated controller, but part of the chipset]

Do you mean some Nvidia chipset drivers? Sorry to be Mr thicky here, but I don’t know which drivers I need.
:iagree: Indeed, I was referring to Nvidia chipset drivers.
There are two options to deal with them:

[list=1.]
[li]Install latest version of Nvidia IDE/Sata drivers (that’s what seemed to work for you)
[/li][li]Uninstall Nvidia IDE/Sata drivers. If you run the Nvidia Installer, which can be found in “Add/Remove Software” in Control Panel, you should have the opportunity to uninstall single parts of the Nvidia driver package. One of them is the IDE/Sata drivers. After reboot, Windows should install it’s own standard drivers.
[/li][/list]

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2285527]There is already a Sata controller integrated into the Nforce4 motherboard chipset.[/QUOTE]Gotcha, makes sense

Indeed, I was referring to Nvidia chipset drivers.
There are two options to deal with them:

2. Uninstall Nvidia IDE/Sata drivers. If you run the Nvidia Installer, which can be found in “Add/Remove Software” in Control Panel, you should have the opportunity to uninstall single parts of the Nvidia driver package. One of them is the IDE/Sata drivers. After reboot, Windows should install it’s own standard drivers.
Ah, ok. I went to Add/Remove Programs (not software for me) and I was looking for anything to do with SATA, and couldn’t find anything. I see under Nvidia that there are IDE drivers - that could have worked, but no need for me to try now.

Thanks again, I’m very happy to have a working DVD drive again. I may even be able to burn disk for people.