No burning software will recognize DVD+RL (Sony DRX-840U)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Sony DRX-840U. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Ok guys, sorry if you’ve all heard this story before, but I’ve been looking everywhere, and my problem seems to be common, but I havnt found a solution that doesn’t involve way more trouble than anyone with a life has time for. I just bought a third DVDRW burner this week, because the first two had this same problem, so I’ve finally accepted its either software or user error. If it matters, this model is a Sony DRX840U external burner. It reads disks just fine, and presumably writes DVD+R just fine too. When I put a DVD+RL disk in, I get the normal autoplay popup, and windows explorer will confirm that the disk has 7 odd gigs free. The problem comes when I use any kind of burning softward to burn my VIDEO_TS folder, the drive either doesn’t recognize any media in the drive and ejects the tray, or in the case of nero, says that there is a cd-r in the drive, and the files will not fit on that disk. Sony was no help at all. Upon looking in windows help, I noticed that they don’t really offer any information about DVDDL. They give you all the instructions on where when and how to use most all other formats, but dont mention DL. <to anyone still reading,> any ideas?

~B

Dell XPS 410
Intell E6600
3GB Ram
Vista Home Premium (no service pack yet)

To clear up confusion, I meant DVD+R DL where I first typed DVD+RL.

Welcome to CD Freaks, Pinspree:slight_smile:

Could you please tell us the brand of DL discs that you’re using…? It may be related to that.

Sure. They are Memorex DVD+RDL 8x.

Hmmm… can you get the media ID by downloading CD-DVD Speed (here), start it up, and put one of the DL discs in. Then tell us what the media ID is from the ‘Disc Info’ tab.

Edit: Sorry I forgot it’s now called ‘Nero DiscSpeed’.

Well this isnt what I expected, but…

Nero DiscSpeed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD+R DL
Book Type : DVD+R DL
Manufacturer: : Ritek
MID : RITEK S04 066 (42h)
Write speeds: : 4 X - 6 X - 8 X
Blank Capacity : 7.60 GB
: 7777 MB
: 8155170816 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 2
Layer break : 3.98 GB
Write strategies : n/a
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
Physical Format Information (00h)
0000 - E1 0F 32 10 00 03 00 00 00 FC FF FF 00 22 D7 FF - …2…"…
0010 - 00 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 53 30 34 42 40 - …RITEK…S04B@
0020 - 25 25 37 10 00 2C 6C 00 2C 6C 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 - %%7…,l.,l…
0030 - 02 01 01 20 00 20 1F 0C 0C 14 14 02 01 01 20 00 - …

Besides Ner0,have you tried burning with IMGburn?..

I use DVD Fab 5, just because its been so reliable compared to DVD Shrink/Nero. Is IMGburn strictly burning, or a ripping prog too?

Imgburn is a burning proggie, have you used it to burn your VIDEO_TS folder?
But just to mention,most around here and elsewhere,recommend using only Verbatim DVD+R DL media…
However give your memosux(no offense I’ve used them myself,yikes!) a shot…

Yes ImgBurn may be worth a try…

One problem might be that the burner’s firmware doesn’t recognise that MID (Ritek S04) and determine a suitable writing strategy. Hence it just gives up and ejects the disc.

Otherwise, judging by the examples other members have produced with that MID (eg here), these aren’t great discs but the burner should still be able to complete the burn.

Perhaps you should try something like Verbatim +R DL to see if the burner handles these better.

that definately sound like a good idea, buying verbatim that is, memorex are just more readily availble to me. I added my Video ts folder (made in dvdshrink) in IMGburn, and (not to start a new thread mid thread) but it told me first,

“Thie file appears to be for a preauthoer Video DVD adding to a cideo dvd will re author the disk and lose all menus and possibly re encode the movei you can burn these as authored using a data dvd…”

I told it not te reauthor, because I need to menues in this case, then it tells me,

“you appear to be trying to burn a video dvd but it is incomplete. you require a full set of vob, ifo, and bup files. this disk will probably not play on a dvd player.”

do I need to rip with something other than shrink? if so, what works well?

What is the DVD title that you want to rip? The choice of backup program may depend on it.

Season 2 of Heroes. I have no problem backing up normal movies using compression and single layer, but 2 hr 30 min can really kill your quality, ie the DL disks.

<sigh> ok sorry, I went to IMGburn website, and somehow ended up dling Express Burn, so those error messages dont apply…I’m dumb

I tend to use AnyDVD for the copy protection removal (month’s free trial), in conjunction with DVD Decrypter (freeware from here) to do the basic ripping job.

Seeing as it’s a series disc you should rip in DVD Decrypter’s ‘ISO read’ mode, then when that’s finished burn the ISO with ImgBurn.

I’ll have to check that out, Ive heard to anydvd before, just never got around the checking it out. IMGburn at least has recognized the DL media, and seems to be trying to burn. time will tell if it will play. I’ll def go with verbatim in the future. thanks 4 your help

OK good luck :). Kudos to [B]t0nee1[/B] for suggesting ImgBurn :flower:

Edit: I see you have DVD Fab, which should allow you to rip the original as an ISO file (instead of the AnyDVD/DVD Decrypter) combo.

Clone Mode (in DVDFab) is what I use to rip and then burn to DL media…and this is always successful with Verbatim media, so I’d agree that the Memorex may well be the problem :slight_smile:

But ripping to ISO with Fab, then burning the ISO file with ImgBurn should work well too :iagree:

Pinspree
I kinda in a hurry so no time to read all the posts here but if you are using DVDFab Platinum or Gold you can select ImgBurn as the burn engine

Chow

Thanks, both. I have platinum. I didnt realize clone created an iso image, so that’s what i was looking for, though I dont see where to select a burning engine