No Blu-ray and HDDs in 2013?

vbimport

I just posted the article No Blu-ray and HDDs in 2013?.

At The Standard they’re not sure what to expect in 2013, so they came up with a quick insight. What can we expect to find in your digital home in 2013, and what will disappear in the next five years?..

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14783-No-Blu-ray-and-HDDs-in-2013.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14783-No-Blu-ray-and-HDDs-in-2013.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“At The Standard they believe there is enough evidence to show we will no longer store our data locally, but we will move towards online storage.” Well, I don’t know what they’re smoking over at The Standard, but I wish they’d share. HD movies (1080p) downloaded from torrent sites can be around 8GB and I don’t see anyone accessing that from online storage anytime soon.
This message was edited at: 25-06-2008 15:09

I am not putting my personal information on an online server. I can see using mail etc. but, not the bulk of my stuff. I also have BrightHouse/Time Warner and they want to limit internet bandwidth use to 40gb a month. How the hell would I access my stuff under that if this cap comes into reality.

God… these guys are smoking more crack than Tim Stork. :B :B

“…reliability issues and a $0.15 per GB price tag…” $0.15 per GB per MONTH. So a measly 100 GB will cost $15 per month which works out to $180 per year! Plus once you have no local storage you’re 100% dependent on them so they can jack up the price. A few high def home movies will add up quick, even with efficient compression. :r That doesn’t include the cost per GB you pay Amazon and your ISP to transfer the data. The article complains Blu-Ray is expensive, but it’s cheaper than the Amazon storage they mention: For 100 GB of blank blu-Rays ($56 for 4 single layer 25GB) plus the cost of the drive $330 you’d equal the cost of 100 GB of Amazon in 2.14444444444444 years. (I never was good at math though). After that Amazon becomes more expensive because you continue to pay for it. :r If you hate blu-ray, you can burn your files on blank DVDs Those are cheaper than Amazon’s data storage too: Amazon even sells hard drives bigger than 100GB for less than $180: I almost forgot to mention those local drives will transfer data faster than the broadest of broadband in the near future. The problem with these data storage “services” is that to make a profit they have to charge you for the cost of the hard drives, servers, bandwidth, buildings, profit margin, and other stuff so as far as I can tell they’ll always be more expensive than when you just buy the hard drive. They’d have to sell it at a loss at first then make up for it later. They kind of make sense if you MUST have an off site backup, but there’s WAY better alternatives like encrypted backup to friends, family or business partners. You can send big files through your favorite IM client or mail burned discs to people and that would be cheaper. You could also find a 9 year old geek in the family and have them set up a secured web server. I’d like to see the author of this article forced to use Amazon for their personal data storage for one year and pay out of their own pocket with no reimbursement. Then they’ll see how awful that idea truly is. :slight_smile: I’ve always dismissed these services as a rip-off and now that I’ve done the research I see they ARE a rip-off Don’t get me started on DRM infected stream only movies. :r :r :r :r :r :r :r

lol… how is online storage going to work when ISP’s continue to restrict bandwidth consumption? lol!

They won’t let me post links, so you’ll have to do your own research. Try hard drive on amazon, blu-ray on CDW, and DRD-R on amazon. Also try amazon S3 Storage Service in Google. “I’d like to see the author of this article” I meant Don Reisinger.

On the subject of file backup, sharing and storage … Online backup is becoming common these days. It is estimated that 70-75% of all PC’s will be connected to online backup services with in the next decade. Thousands of online backup companies exist, from one guy operating in his apartment to fortune 500 companies. Choosing the best online backup company will be very confusing and difficult. One website I find very helpful in making a decision to pick an online backup company is: http://www.BackupReview.info This site lists more than 400 online backup companies in its directory and ranks the top 25 on a monthly basis.

I think the most compelling reason not to adopt on-line storage is the simple fact that Microsoft and other big corporations want you to. Am I the only one who thinks that is primaily because it benefits them? Or are there naieve people still who think that big corporations have only our welfare and well being in mind? More often than not anything that advantages a big corporation disadvantages the consumer, and personally as a consumer I dont give a toss about the well being of the corporation, but only my own well being. Think i’ll keep my data at home where it belongs, and the big corporations can go and get … (fill in the blank).

they are smoking crack!!, the ONLY thing i want to have online is my email and that’s it! None of my personal stuff will ever be placed there, not to mention ISP reliability factor, etc. It’s nonsense.

In these economic times… no one has a crystal ball. Would you have predicted that Apple would make millions selling mp3 players more than 10 years ago? Nope. There are heavy cross currents in technology & the economy… in times past you could naturally predict the way things would go… but the waters become murky with the Internet playing a larger role in the delivery of content. What was a sure thing for “disc” formats (in the DVD era)is not so certain today for blue ray. Digital distribution on the internet has the potential to sabotage blue ray just as much as what we’re seeing with audio cd & dvd discs today. That is why some are predicting a hollow victory/defeat for blue ray. This means a more robust higher capacity can wait in the wings while blue ray sputters and screws themselves with high prices. What I’m more inclined to believe is that the hi-def 720p will be a “standard” for digital distribution on the internet in the 3-6gb capacity range. This is what most cable-tv broadcasters will use and that “ripped” 1080p discs will be downsampled in the interim due to broadband constraints. Obviously, you know what I’m hinting at… wholesale downloading of content leads naturally into the “piracy” debate, but that’s not why I’m posting… I’m just telling you that blue ray missed an important opportunity to gain the confidence of consumers once HD-DVD conceded defeat… and it will cost the blue ray group dearly in the future (you can almost equate it to the RIAA killing off Napster).