No awake from standby

does anyone know why my PC cant awake from standby?

( I have SP1 )

What does happen when you try to awake your PC? Nothing at all, or a certain system crash (a known error is, that XP often crashes when awakening on a system equipped with an Ati vga card)?

Standby is designed for laptops running on batteries, and is generally very problematic for any machine. Powering down the processor is bad for many applications and causes a lot of instability. As heat is the main wear factor on system boards, repeated power cycles can actually wear them out. Modern hard drives are also not really designed for repeated power cycles, and can often last longer if just left on 24/7. That just leaves the monitor, which you can set to turn off without shutting down the HD and processor.
All in all, leaving the system on is your best choice for stability and longevity.
That said, the answer to your problem lies in what is running when you go to standy, something is hanging the system.

(a known error is, that XP often crashes when awakening on a system equipped with an Ati vga card)?
This cant be for me (look at signiture)

i am not sure what programs are running wheni power down, but in light of the new info. i shall just turn off my monitor in the future.

I think I had similiar problems a long time ago, I think I solved it either by updating my chipset drivers or my BIOS, I’m pretty sure it was my BIOS. If that still don’t work, try fail safe settings in BIOS, I’m pretty sure the problem is in BIOS.

yeah, i have been meaning to update to the latest universal 4in1 drivers for a while now…

@shuebhussain

How old is your BIOS and what’s your 4-in-1 version? Our mobo is about the same. Oh also, have tried pressing the power button to wake up?

i dont know how to tell which 4in1 version i have, and i must remember to note my bios version on the next start up. I tried the power button - no good.

I have been meaning to update ny 4in1 drivers for a while know, but i want to make some new data/mp3 backups first, and i am currently out of blanks. I already have downloaded the “4in1443v.exe” driver.

I really think its BIOS. I solved all my shutdown/standby problems on this current system after I updated my BIOS from F4 to F5, some revision like that I can’t remember the exact one.

Gotcha :slight_smile: I was also perplexed the first time my WinXP machine went on standby.

Till Win9X, you could get off Standby by moving your mouse or pressing a key. Starting Win 2K, for ATX cabinets, the only way of coming out of standby is use the Power button on the cabinet. However you can enable coming out of Standby using the mouse by changing the Driver Settings in the Control Panel. There is a check box for “Allow this Device to get ouy of Standby” (or something similar) for your Mouse.

@ ExpertTech

Yea there is one under Device Manager for like your LAN card, mouse, and keyboard, they usually enabled by default. But you know I can’t find the option for my optical mouse (though its present for my keyboard and LAN card) on my other pc, which sucks since it gets waken up so much whenever someone touches the mouse, which happens a lot. I wanna disable the wakeup for the mouse so it would only wake up if I press the keyboard or power button.

I think this depends on the driver you are using for your mouse (and of course the motherboard’s power saving facilities). I currently use the latest Logitech drivers. Seem to do everything right for me. Which optical mouse and drivers are you using? Maybe you could change them and see? Im not too sure about what Im saying. Maybe you could try it out.

Gee…just saw your sig. I guess you could use the Logitech drivers for your MS Intellimouse and see?

@ExpertTech

I was actually talking about the mouse for my other pc, both are microsoft intelli optical. Both labelled as “PS/2 Compatible Mouse” under device manager, and both use a USB-PS/2 adapter to connect to the pc, only difference between em is that the one on the other pc lacks the power management tab, that lets u check or uncheck the wakeup option.

@shuebhussain

Have you tried the new VIA drivers yet? Or new BIOS? For the BIOS, if your like a couple of revisions behind, I’d recommend not using the latest one, rather use like the one that is just before the one that gives proper dual bios function, cause that thing slows my startup by half a min.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
I was actually talking about the mouse for my other pc

Are you using the same OS on the other PC?

@ExpertTech

Yea, but I fixed the problem by removing the PS/2 adapter and just using the mouse as a USB device. Now it lets me adjust power management, and it works.

Originally posted by dfourthhorseman
@shuebhussain
Have you tried the new VIA drivers yet? Or new BIOS? For the BIOS, if your like a couple of revisions behind, I’d recommend not using the latest one, rather use like the one that is just before the one that gives proper dual bios function, cause that thing slows my startup by half a min.

How can i tell which bios i currently have?

I thought i already had a proper dual bios function - or do i need a newer bios to activate this?
I am going to update the 4 in 1 today.

Sorry for my incredibly slow reply …

Well we have bios from the same company, and they provide new revisions with the same improvments. I had similiar power management problems with my computer with an earlier BIOS revision, I even downgraded to see if it was true and it was. Standy and shutdown problems, perhaps just in WinXP, but they were there. So I think you should check. Use Gigabyte’s BIOS update software, which runs in windows, it will check the BIOS version you have and either do an automatic download and upgrade or let you download it yourself, both times letting you backup your current BIOS.

And the Dual BIOS function was only correctly functional as of F8, for me, and since it slows my startup and I don’t do anything that might cause my BIOS to fail, I’ll stay with F7, which is still pretty recent.

I just found the link to the Universal Flash Utility ver. 8.60 (Suitable for AWARD and AMI BIOS).
http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/temp/flash860.zip

Here’s the newest BIOS version for your mobo (6VTXE-A)

Here’s older versions

I suggest trying the newest first.

Hope this helps.

:smiley: Thanks :smiley: