No audio

vbimport

Ok, guys need some help.

I have an Intel DG33TL motherboard, not native to the case, that had Windows 7. I upgraded to W10 but now have no sound.

In Device Manager the “High Definition Audio Device” is said to be working correctly. I have tried to update the driver but when "update driver’ is clicked it searches and searches but never finds a driver, nor does it ever say that the best driver is already installed. The computer works fine except for the audio.

In Device Manager there is only one yellow ?. It shows up under “Other Devices” and is named “PCI Simple Communication Controller”. I have tried to update the driver but the search shows as “no driver found”. I have tried to go to Intel and can’t find a driver. I have tried my search engine by typing “driver for PCI simple communication controller” and none that show up work. I have even tried typing in my search engine “PCI simple communication controller for DG33TL motherboard” with no results.

Question? Is the communication controller the cause of no audio, and if so could someone point me to the drivers for the device. Thanks.

If you search for specifications for the board, what audio chipset (audio codec) is it supposed to have?

Also: you can USUALLY find out specific device IDs for products in Device Manager, which will help you search.

In this case, double-click on the unidentified PCI Simple Communication Device. Click on the Details tab. In the Property box, select “Device IDs”. Right click on the top value & select “Copy”. Paste into Google.

Or, to make the search cleaner, take the following as an example:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C03&SUBSYS_9C031414&REV_04

clean it up into VEN_8086 DEV_9C03.

Often, the results give you an IDEA of what the device is. (For that particular device, it’s the SATA controller in my system, and the first result is a site offering a driver download). Then you take that knowledge and search for the proper driver on the manufacturer’s website.

(Often enough, for motherboards with actual support – wherein the manufacturer posts drivers for all the components on a board – you can just download all the drivers and try installing one by one.)

[QUOTE=Albert;2771776]If you search for specifications for the board, what audio chipset (audio codec) is it supposed to have?

Also: you can USUALLY find out specific device IDs for products in Device Manager, which will help you search.

In this case, double-click on the unidentified PCI Simple Communication Device. Click on the Details tab. In the Property box, select “Device IDs”. Right click on the top value & select “Copy”. Paste into Google.

Or, to make the search cleaner, take the following as an example:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C03&SUBSYS_9C031414&REV_04

clean it up into VEN_8086 DEV_9C03.

Often, the results give you an IDEA of what the device is. (For that particular device, it’s the SATA controller in my system, and the first result is a site offering a driver download). Then you take that knowledge and search for the proper driver on the manufacturer’s website.

(Often enough, for motherboards with actual support – wherein the manufacturer posts drivers for all the components on a board – you can just download all the drivers and try installing one by one.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Albert for the reply. Yes, the device id and vendor number is the way that I searched Intel, but I may not have known what I was doing as I am still learning some of this.

The Hardware ids:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C4&SUBSYS_50448086&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C4&SUBSYS_50448086
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C4&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C4&CC_0780

The compatible ids:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C4&REV_02
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C4
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_078000
PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0780
PCI\VEN_8086
PCI\CC_078000
PCI\CC_0780

This is a bit over my head, and as I said I am still learning. Thanks again.

Part One: the audio.

If you spent…oh, a few ages scouring the internet, you might stumble across this PDF which lists (among a whole lotta stuff) the specs for the board: http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/prodspec/dg33tl-tps.pdf

(A slightly more friendly PDF: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15061/eng/dg33tl_productguide03_english.pdf )

[I wish these sites didn’t bury this information, but at least it’s still available]

If that’s correct, you’re looking for the driver for the IDT STAC9271D (the HD audio). We’ll address that soon enough.

Part Two: the questionable device.

Searching the Googles for VEN_8086&DEV_29C4, you might notice something mentioned in each of the first few results. It’s the ID for something called…
Intel® Management Engine Interface.

Apparently, it’s something that the average user doesn’t need (I’ll let you search if you are curious), but to keep Device Manager pristine, it needs its own driver.

Intel’s site seems to be broken at the moment (or they’ve archived EVERYTHING relating to motherboards since they exited that part of the business).

But a cached Google result for your board: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iyes8ZbHtlkJ:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/50378/Intel-Desktop-Board-DG33TL+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

(Google caches results for a lot of pages, which is akin to viewing archived pages. These archives are often available even when the main page has been offline for a while. Outside of that, when looking for old pages where content seems to have disappeared, other internet archives exist. Just a tip if you ever really need to find something.)

ANYWAY on that cached result page, you have a list of drivers available for Window 7 at the best, and Windows Vista at the worst. You might be able to install them; you might not. But the results are there for you to try to download. …

Going based off of that cached result, you need “Audio: IDT* 92XX Driver” for the audio, and the Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 3 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards for that device with no driver.

But the cached page doesn’t show the latest results. Not to worry; Google again! Those very strings will bring you results on Intel’s site (at least for the time being).

searching
Audio: IDT* 92XX Driver
gets you (within the first few results)

searching
Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 3 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards
and one of the first results for me is

So you can try those. May not install; may install. For the latter, if it doesn’t install but the system otherwise works fine, don’t worry about it. For the audio, searching for results on how to install the IDT audio driver in Windows 10 should help you.

For the audio, things may get a little more complicated where you have to edit a file or two, then try to install.

[QUOTE=Albert;2771790]Going based off of that cached result, you need “Audio: IDT* 92XX Driver” for the audio, and the Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 3 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards for that device with no driver.

But the cached page doesn’t show the latest results. Not to worry; Google again! Those very strings will bring you results on Intel’s site (at least for the time being).

searching
Audio: IDT* 92XX Driver
gets you (within the first few results)

searching
Intel® ME: Management Engine Driver for Intel 3 Series Chipset-Based Desktop Boards
and one of the first results for me is

So you can try those. May not install; may install. For the latter, if it doesn’t install but the system otherwise works fine, don’t worry about it. For the audio, searching for results on how to install the IDT audio driver in Windows 10 should help you.

For the audio, things may get a little more complicated where you have to edit a file or two, then try to install.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Albert, will have to do some “thinking” on this one. But I appreciate the explanation. Now if I can just understand what you posted.:slight_smile: But, I’m sure, after a bit of thinking I will. Thanks again.

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2771818]Thanks Albert, will have to do some “thinking” on this one. But I appreciate the explanation. Now if I can just understand what you posted.:slight_smile: But, I’m sure, after a bit of thinking I will. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Albert, installed the IDT audio and still not sound. Must be the onboard audio not working. Guess I’ll get an audio card and see. Thanks.

How are you trying to connect the audio? 3.5mm jack (like on most consumer headphones), or something different?

[QUOTE=Albert;2771822]How are you trying to connect the audio? 3.5mm jack (like on most consumer headphones), or something different?[/QUOTE]

Just a set of stereo speakers that has one plug that plugs in the back of the computer. Not speakers as I tried another set of speakers and still no sound. Thanks.

In your Windows taskbar (lower right of the screen, by default), there’s a little speaker icon which you can click to control the volume. Right click on that icon and select “Playback Devices”.

Microsoft has a video of a slightly different way to get to this window (YouTube link):

//youtu.be/YWX4WxMkDxk

Once you get to that window, make sure you see the IDT audio listed and selected as the default device. Or take a screenshot and share it with us/list the audio devices you DO see.

[QUOTE=Albert;2771911]In your Windows taskbar (lower right of the screen, by default), there’s a little speaker icon which you can click to control the volume. Right click on that icon and select “Playback Devices”.

Microsoft has a video of a slightly different way to get to this window (YouTube link):

//youtu.be/YWX4WxMkDxk

Once you get to that window, make sure you see the IDT audio listed and selected as the default device. Or take a screenshot and share it with us/list the audio devices you DO see.[/QUOTE]

Found the window. Under Playback is the following: Speaker/HP IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Ready Thanks.

[QUOTE=kemperhils;2771992]Found the window. Under Playback is the following: Speaker/HP IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Ready Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Problem solved. After searching around a bit I decided to open the IDT High Definition audio console. I opened the equalizer and saw the bars jumping around that showed the audio drivers were installed properly and working. So, I said, what could cause the drivers to be working correctly, good speakers connected correctly, yet no sound.

The front panel audio cable is to short to reach the front panel audio header on the board. I had made and extension cable. Well:o, as I began to check, I found a wire to the audio header in the wrong place. Now the audio is working.

So, now I feel like an idiot.:cool:

No need to feel like an idiot. That’s some awesome problem solving! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2772170]No need to feel like an idiot. That’s some awesome problem solving! :)[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the comment though I did say it with a bit of tongue in cheek.

Spent most of my life as an auto mechanic and small engine mechanic and the times I have made such mistakes could fill a book.

Guess I should have done that before posting, but sometimes the most obvious is overlooked.

A bit of a personal note. One time I was working in Sardis, Ms. and the bosses brother worked for him. Rick was a good mechanic. We got along great and was constantly helping each other. There was a time when Rick was working on an auto air conditioner and he couldn’t get the thing to work, and was he talking French. As I walked by I happened to view the high pressure line at an angle and the line was frozen. I told him his orfice tube was stopped up. Since the high pressure line ran under the side of the engine and it was hard to see, Rick hadn’t noticed it and when he got into a position he could see the high pressure line he started talking in French, Russian and Spanish at the same time because he had overlooked the tube. Rick knew anytime you do air conditioner work you always change the orfice tube, but had simply overlooked it.

And one time I was working on a car and couldn’t understand what was wrong. I called for Rick and when he got there I asked him to help me figure out what was wrong. He looked a minute and said something like, “hey, stupid what about this”. Yep I have done such before.

And one time I was working on a car and couldn’t understand what was wrong. I called for Rick and when he got there I asked him to help me figure out what was wrong. He looked a minute and said something like, “hey, stupid what about this”. Yep I have done such before.

I think I am safe in saying, we all have.