No audio

vbimport

I have an e-machines T-5010 running Windows 7 Pro x64. This computer was given to me and had the OS already installed but few updates. The audio was working. I installed all updates and found the audio was now not working. No matter what I did I could not get the audio to work.

I uninstalled the audio drives and went to e-machines websites and downloaded the driver which wouldn’t work. I then discovered it was a 32-bit driver and e-machines had no 64 bit driver. I went to Realtek and downloaded proper 64 bit driver and when installed the audio worked.

Then I had to do a fresh install of the Windows 7 OS because it became unstable. Now I have done everything, including everything Microsoft suggested, but I can’t get the audio to work. When I try to install the 64 bit driver from Realtek I get the following message: “The installed version of the application could not be determined. The setup will now terminate”.

I am at loss to solve this problem and Microsoft has, as well failed to help me solve the problem, so, since they gave you the link to your site, I am hoping someone here can help me get the audio working.

I have deleted “Upper filters” from the registry[now lower filters present]. I have deleted and reinstalled drivers. And everything Microsoft suggested. Thanks.

Hi kemperhils and welcome to the forum :flower:
I am not sure if we should feel honored if you were directed here by Microsoft or not :wink:

There is little information I can use as a starting point apart from your error which suggests a troubled InstallShield application…
First of all, you will have to show hidden files and folders. Open ‘Computer’

As you can see I did select ‘Organize’ and highlighted ‘Folder and search options’. Left-click the choice and you will be presented this:

Click on the radio button labeled ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’ and click on OK.
Now Navigate to and rename the folder"[B]C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information[/B]" to something else (for example “[B]!InstallShield Installation Information[/B]” with an exclamation mark at the front). Try reinstalling the driver and see if it works.

If that did not do the trick, hold down [WinKey] and tap [R]

in the above ‘Run’ dialogue, type in ‘devmgmt.msc’ as shown and hit enter.

This brings up ‘Device manager’ scroll down, locate and expand ‘Sound, video and game controllers’

I do not have your soundcard, but right-click yours and select uninstall.

Check ‘Delete the driver software for this device’ and click OK

Now try and reinstall the driver. Let me know if any of the above solved it :wink:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769165]Hi kemperhils and welcome to the forum :flower:
I am not sure if we should feel honored if you were directed here by Microsoft or not :wink:

There is little information I can use as a starting point apart from your error which suggests a troubled InstallShield application…
First of all, you will have to show hidden files and folders. Open ‘Computer’

As you can see I did select ‘Organize’ and highlighted ‘Folder and search options’. Left-click the choice and you will be presented this:

Click on the radio button labeled ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’ and click on OK.
Now Navigate to and rename the folder"[B]C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield Installation Information[/B]" to something else (for example “[B]!InstallShield Installation Information[/B]” with an exclamation mark at the front). Try reinstalling the driver and see if it works.

If that did not do the trick, hold down [WinKey] and tap [R]

in the above ‘Run’ dialogue, type in ‘devmgmt.msc’ as shown and hit enter.

This brings up ‘Device manager’ scroll down, locate and expand ‘Sound, video and game controllers’

I do not have your soundcard, but right-click yours and select uninstall.

Check ‘Delete the driver software for this device’ and click OK

Now try and reinstall the driver. Let me know if any of the above solved it ;)[/QUOTE]

The uninstall and reinstall I have tried several times to no avail. I have an attachment that shows everything in my x86 folder and I saw nothing as you suggested. Thanks.

Unless you show hidden files and folders, the Installshield folder will not be shown as it is hidden. Most any and all PCs has that folder and since the error is typical for install-shield I figured it was the trouble… If you can see ‘ProgramData’ in the C:\ folder, you are showing hidden files.

Can you send me the link to the download you did… at least I believe I can help you get the sound back that way… It will also give me an idea as to what installer it is and maybe I can help you do a complete install as well.
If not I’ll just extract the drivers for you hopefully making you able to install it via Devicemanager.

EDIT: Not sure if this is the installer, but the ‘0006-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R279.exe’ if that is the driver installer you have downloaded, is a ‘Installshield Packaged for the web’ package which start a Installshield wizard. There is a zip with unpacked drivers for ‘High Definition Audio Codecs’ as well, 0006-Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R279.zip available for download.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2769214]Unless you show hidden files and folders, the Installshield folder will not be shown as it is hidden. Most any and all PCs has that folder and since the error is typical for install-shield I figured it was the trouble… If you can see ‘ProgramData’ in the C:\ folder, you are showing hidden files.

Can you send me the link to the download you did… at least I believe I can help you get the sound back that way… It will also give me an idea as to what installer it is and maybe I can help you do a complete install as well.
If not I’ll just extract the drivers for you hopefully making you able to install it via Devicemanager.

EDIT: Not sure if this is the installer, but the ‘0006-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R279.exe’ if that is the driver installer you have downloaded, is a ‘Installshield Packaged for the web’ package which start a Installshield wizard. There is a zip with unpacked drivers for ‘High Definition Audio Codecs’ as well, 0006-Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R279.zip available for download.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the late reply, didn’t get any e-mail saying a response had been posted and I just checked today to see. Give me a couple of days and I will post the link to the audio download I got from Realtex. Remember, I installed this audio once and it installed without problems. Then when I had to do a fresh install of the OS I haven’t been able to get the audio to work since. Thanks.

Problem solved, I used the zip file instead of the .exe file and that fixed it. Don’t know why the .exe file worked the first time, but the sound is fixed and that is all that matters. Thanks Xercus for you help.

Now I have a Windows updater problem on a different computer that I will post later.