No audio - .VOB file

hello, newb question i hope someone can help me out with.

.vob files on my laptop will not play audio on my LCD (streamed to tv using manufacturers file share media program). Audio and video play perfectly fine on my laptop through VLC media player though. The dafault audio is 5.1 which i think may be the problem.

The user manual for my LCD states that ONLY AC3 audio can be streamed.

Any easy way to change the audio format of the .VOB without compromising the video quality?

Thank you so much.

AC3 is a normal format for audio found in dvd video, especially in the US. Are you located in another country that might also use MP2 audio format?

Check which audio type is in your .vob files. Look at them with MediaInfo (free). http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

VLC can stream video also.

Streaming wired or wireless?..Is the audio 5.1 AC3?..How are you connecting to the TV exactly?..

yes I believe the audio is 5.1 AC3. I will look up the specific type when i get home from work.

I am wired directly into the tv (modem-router-laptop/lcd). There are actually tons of posts on other sites about this particular network media streaming program offering minimal compatibility with various audio and video formats.

As i said in the OP, the video plays perfectly but there is no audio.
In VLC, the audio and video of the .vob play…but the default is 5.1 (I assume that Samsung didn’t pay Dolby rights or something).

I am wired directly into the tv (modem-router-laptop/lcd). There are actually tons of posts on other sites about this particular network media streaming program offering minimal compatibility with various audio and video formats.

Have you checked the other, “tons of posts on other sites” for a solution?..
So you’re wired via ethernet cable?..Does the tv decode 5.1 ch ac3?.
Have you checked the SW’s website support forum?..I stream video with 5.1 audio wirelessly to the PS3–> via optical to my audio receiver which decodes the audio…Not sure exactly how your set up is — setup/configured…Elaborate please…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2290278]Have you checked the other, “tons of posts on other sites” for a solution?..
So you’re wired via ethernet cable?..Does the tv decode 5.1 ch ac3?.
Have you checked the SW’s website support forum?..I stream video with 5.1 audio wirelessly to the PS3–> via optical to my audio receiver which decodes the audio…Not sure exactly how your set up is — setup/configured…Elaborate please…[/QUOTE]

yep i’m wired by ethernet (its the only way the samsung LCD PC Share program will work – it doesn’t recognize wireless).

The tv does not decode 5.1 ac3. In the manual it has a table listing all compatible formats for the tv – for .vob, ac3 is the only format it supports.

Divx, MPG, AVI all play perfectly fine. .MKV isn’t supported (as with a handful of other formats).

I’ll run the files through mediainfo when i get home in a few hours and post the results.

Thank you

Here is what Mediainfo gave me:

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 9 frames
Duration : 49mn 56s
Bit rate : 5 563 Kbps
Nominal bit rate : 5 808 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.252
Stream size : 1.94 GiB (86%)
Writing library : x264 core 54 svn-635M
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:-1:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / brdo=1 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=2 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=2 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / mbaff=0 / bframes=4 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / bime=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=5808 / ratetol=1.0 / rceq=‘blurCplx^(1-qComp)’ / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:0.5:18.

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Duration : 49mn 56s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 160 MiB (7%)

Also, here is a copy of the DLNA spec sheet for my tv’s manual.

From the material:

This does not work with the wireless adapter

This does not support 5.1

I hope that’s some more specific info. Any ideas how to solve this audio problem?

Yes, apparently you need to convert your 5.1 ac3 source audio to 2ch stereo…
Import the VOB in Avidemux and choose AC3(Aften) as output source, under ‘Audio’ filters downmix to stereo, and save a new .mpg…
You could demux/extract, and convert the audio separately and then mux back, however I would try the all-in-one step first…Hope it helps…Good luck!..

Thank you sir!!! This solved the problem beautifully.

Awesome.

Glad it worked for you…Thanks for posting back since this will certainly help someone else with that particular SW/HW setup…:cool:

Cheers, T