No ATIP?

Would it be possible for a Cd-R company to make Cd-R’s without an ATIP and include with them a program which intercepts requests for the ATIP and replies what it should be? Would this be able to defeat ATIP protection, or have the voices in my head been lying to me?

Some facts about ATIP below (thanks Gamefreak). I concluded that if ATIP protection is present then you may as well just read the disk on your other drive - it doesn’t really cause a problem.

Every CD-R has important info on the disc itself which is called ATIP (Absolute Time In Pre-groove) or pre-groove for short. Without this data/info the CD-R cannot be used by a writer. The ATIP contains the following info:

The capacity of the CD-R

The manufacturer of the CD-R

The type of the CD-R (eg. Audio only)

Supported writing speeds

Absolute lead-in time

Last possible address where data can be written

etc…
Only a CD-Writer can read the ATIP (because like I said before this ATIP is only needed when writing a CD-R).

The ATIP protection is based on this fact: when the game starts it checks if there’s ATIP info present: if so then it will presume it’s a CD-R disc and will not play. However a normal CD-ROM cannot read this ATIP and will of course ‘say’ that this data is not present: thus the copy will work…

A CD-R without ATIP info is completely useles since ATIP is needed to identify the disc as recordable. Without ATIP info the writer simply couldn’t write the disc…

Yes, but the recording program wouldn’t know that the ATIP info wasn’t present, thus identifying the disc as recordable.
Can the actual burner refuse to burn if it doesn’t read ATIP.
I guess the real question should be “Will the cd-writer attempt to write if the cd-program tells it to, or does it check the ATIP and then refuse without checking with the burner program.”

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
“Will the cd-writer attempt to write if the cd-program tells it to, or does it check the ATIP and then refuse without checking with the burner program.”
ATIP is checked before writing so the answer is no. The ATIP is read before writing because the program/writer needs to know what kind of disc it is eg. what speed can it be written, what’s the discsize, what kind of disc is it (audio only or data), etc, etc.