No AC-3/5.1 Sound After Converting DVD To PS3

I’m trying DVDFAB Platinum and converting a DVD to PS3 [.mp4]. Works great, but the audio will only encode to AC-3/2. I choose AC-3/5.1 when configuring DVD to Mobile - PS3, leave AC-3/2 unchecked, but the final .mp4 only plays 2 channel audio with no option to switch to 5.1.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I see this too…anyone have an answer or know about it?

[QUOTE=gkinghrn;2076276]I see this too…anyone have an answer or know about it?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the current PS3 profile only supports 2 channel audio.

<profile name=“PlayStation 3” version=“200” device=“ps3” tag=“dvdfab” description=“The profile is used to create mp4(h264 + aac) file, which can be played in Playstation 3.”>
<common>
<file format=“mp4” mode=“0” onefile_size_mb=“300” number=“1”/>
[B]<audio codec=“aac” channel=“2” >[/B]
<freq value=“48000” list=“44100,48000” />
<bitrate value=“96000” list=“96000,128000” />

The authors are are aware and working on it.

If 5.1 sound is an issue at the moment, I suggest that you research some of the generic audiocopy profiles that will play on the PS3.

yes i was looking to this to.

This is more a limitation of the PS3 than anything else. Here is a thread I wrote with instructions on how to get H264 + AC3 from DVDFAb into a container that the PS3 will accept:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/guide-create-h264-ac3-ps3-dvdfab-5-0-2-0-a-245236/

These instructions work the same in version 5.0.3.0 except that I read that the 2-pass crash problem has been fixed.

There would be one less step if DVDFab honored the forced “fourcc” code in the configuration files for MKV output. If DVDFab allowed output of m2ts files then all we would really have to do is rename the file to vob to trick the PS3 into accepting the content (which is what mkv2vob does).

If the PS3 will accept vxid in an avi container you can use it (set to audiocopy) to get AC3 5.1

The PS3 is very picky about Xvid. Specifically, the PS3 will get a media error on DVDFab created Xvid content at many transition points (i.e. opening credits to start of movie). This is probably from sloppy encoding on the part of the source DVD. The only workaround for me has been to fast forward the movie past the point where you got the error (which is painful for problems near the end since you start back at the beginning).

Granted, these tests where done on 5.0.2.2, but I haven’t seen anything in the change logs that reference Xvid in the newer versions.

Vxid in an avi container supports AC3 5.1 in DVDFab. Been using it for a couple months, well before Version #5. I’m using an xbox, but the xvid format is the only mobile format in DVDFab that I’ve found that supports 5.1

Can you use DVDShrink to strip the credits and then use DVDFab to encode?

I don’t have a PS3, of course, but I was just throwing that out as a possible solution. I know I spent a huge amount of time looking for a solution when I started storing movies on my server.

[quote=deputy963;2077251]Vxid in an avi container supports AC3 5.1 in DVDFab. Been using it for a couple months, well before Version #5. I’m using an xbox, but the xvid format is the only mobile format in DVDFab that I’ve found that supports 5.1

Can you use DVDShrink to strip the credits and then use DVDFab to encode?

I don’t have a PS3, of course, but I was just throwing that out as a possible solution. I know I spent a huge amount of time looking for a solution when I started storing movies on my server.[/quote]

The transition from opening credits to the regular movie is just one example. In the same movie with that problem there was also a bad transition about 5min before the end of the movie. The same thing happens when playing some downloaded Xvid content on the PS3.

So far, H264 and Divx do not exhibit the problem. Again, this is probably not a DVDFab problem but a PS3 problem. The only reliable way I have found to create a PS3 file with 5.1 using DVDFab is to create an AVI with H264 + audiocopy then transition it to a VOB file (see thread linked on my previous post).

Don’t you just wish they (Sony/Microsoft) could implement (correctly) more than one or two codecs, so everyone could easily use them to stream content! :slight_smile: