No.1 DVD+-RW + BD-ROM on market atm?

vbimport

I’m actually thinking of just going internal now, as part of a HTPC build I’ve almost finished.
(I’ve heard optical drives wear less dramatically if they’re external, don’t know if there’s any truth to that?)

Internal will allow me to “cherry-pick” a drive that will be better than any of the “ready-to-use” external units.
And I can always get an enclosure for it later if I want to go external…

Just not sure if I should go for a DVD burner + BD Burner, or DVD burner + BD-ROM.
I won’t use optical drives as a storage medium for the vast majority of my content…
So I’m thinking BD burners -at least at this stage- is a little unnecessary…

What do you reckon?
And what’s the best DVD±RW + BD-ROM around IYO?
Thanks again!

You can get a combo drive. One that reads and burns to cds and dvds, but only reads blu ray.

Here are a couple of examples of combo drives: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136195

But this LG Blu ray burner isn’t all that much more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136181

Never heard anyone around here say an external will wear less. That would be a new one for me.

Even if BD burners aren’t that much more now…
I’d rather get a drive that just focuses on being a good DVD burner and BD-ROM (i.e. a combo).
I just can’t imagine myself wanting to burn a whole lot of BD disks, I won’t even burn many DVD or CD.

So these are the 2 best DVD±RW + BD-ROM’s (combo drives) around nowadays in your opinion?

Just realised this isn’t in the best sub-forum.

Can someone please put this thread under:
[I]Club MyCE --> Computer Hardware --> CD and DVD Writers[/I]?
Thank-you very much if you can!

And are these two sub-forums better suited for my line of questioning?
[I]Club MyCE --> Computer Hardware --> Optical Storage Technical Discussions[/I]?
[I]Club MyCE --> Computer Hardware --> General Hardware Forum[/I]?

Thanks again!

Kerry/Anyone?

Thank-you!!

Sorry, lost track of this thread. I’ve moved it into the CD/DVD Writer forum.

I haven’t seen many users around here with reviews/scans from the combo drives we’ve been talking about. LG in general makes good writers, but they have a reputation for preferring high quality media. If you give them nothing but Verbatim AZO disks or Taiyo Yuden or Sony blank dvds you should be fine.

Most of the latest Samsung drives have been very good. My SH-S203B has been a workhorse. But again, I haven’t seen any comments by our members about this specific combo drive.

If it was my decision, I’d get the Samsung combo drive or the LG Blu ray burner. My LG blu ray burner did very well with Verbatim single and double layer dvds when I was testing it. I rarely use it for dvds though, and reserve it for reading Blu ray or burning BD blank disks.

If the budget would bear it, I’d also seriously consider the Pioneer 205 blu ray burner, but my priorities are not yours since I would want the best Blu ray burner around. I have plenty of good dvd burners on hand.

yeah Ian seemed to think my main options are a LiteON, LG or a Sammy
http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/dvd-rom-combo-drive-atm-t25393.html#p177440
Picking which exact model si the tricky part but!

woah 350am, thanks for your help thus far, night!

You get this Kerry? Cheers!

These are the only reviews from 2010, from the most reputable sites, that I’ve been able to find

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2538956]Sorry, lost track of this thread. I’ve moved it into the CD/DVD Writer forum.

I haven’t seen many users around here with reviews/scans from the combo drives we’ve been talking about. LG in general makes good writers, but they have a reputation for preferring high quality media. If you give them nothing but Verbatim AZO disks or Taiyo Yuden or Sony blank dvds you should be fine.

Most of the latest Samsung drives have been very good. My SH-S203B has been a workhorse. But again, I haven’t seen any comments by our members about this specific combo drive.

If it was my decision, I’d get the Samsung combo drive or the LG Blu ray burner. My LG blu ray burner did very well with Verbatim single and double layer dvds when I was testing it. I rarely use it for dvds though, and reserve it for reading Blu ray or burning BD blank disks.

If the budget would bear it, I’d also seriously consider the Pioneer 205 blu ray burner, but my priorities are not yours since I would want the best Blu ray burner around. I have plenty of good dvd burners on hand.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i think I’d prefer something that focuses on being a good CD/DVD burner/reader, and BD reader.
I don’t have a strong need for BD burning at this point, when the market’s even more mature next year (inc. higher BD burn speeds), I’ll upgrade to an ODD that includes BD burning.
That being the case, you still recommend a Samsung or LG?

I guess I’m wanting a combo on the assumption that something that focuses on just being a CD/DVD burner/reader + BD reader.
Is going to do all (or most) of those things better than something that tries to be a CD/DVD burner/reader + BD burner/reader.
If that’s not the case in your opinion, then I’m also willing to consider ODD’s that also have a BD burning component.

The combo drives have one great advantage…they are considerably less expensive than the blu ray burners. Other than that, I believe its a toss-up on dvd burning. All of the major brands do an adequate job of burning dvds these days, especially if you stick to good quality media.

There are a few dvd burners that stand out, like the 24x Samsung, or the last couple of generations of Optiarc drives, but those aren’t combo drives.

And you have to take into consideration the experiences/prejudices of the people you are asking about these drives. I personally have never liked Lite-on drives. I certainly wouldn’t buy one of their blu ray burners, since they got into that segment of the market very late and are still catching up to Pioneer and LG. The Lite-on blu ray rom drives were good though and capable of performing quality scans on blu ray disks, so a Lite-on combo drive might be perfectly fine.

But there are other problems for the other brands. LG is notorious for slow/nonexistent firmware updates for their drives. Optiarc doesn’t make a combo drive or blu ray burner. Pioneer has started using QSI for their latest dvd drives and the jury is still out on those drives. Plextor hasn’t made their own drives in years, but still charge an outrageous price for the name…don’t buy a modern Plextor.

The combo drives and blu ray burners seem to use older tech in their dvd burning side…16x max speed for example on single layer dvds. This level of dvd burning should have very mature firmware available already. In other words, they aren’t pushing the envelope on dvd burning with these drives, and all should be fairly similar in abilities with dvds.

These are the makes/models I’m trying to decide between.
I’ve got them ordered by review date, ascending.

03 Sept 09’

07 October 09’

29 Nov 09’

28 Mar 10

17 May 10’

07 Aug 10’

16 August 10’

The Samsung SH-B123 also looks like it may be a contender.

Unfortunately there’s no reviews on MyCE or CDRLabs yet.
Some quick googling reveals none elsewhere either, it’s only relatively new though.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2539179]The combo drives have one great advantage…they are considerably less expensive than the blu ray burners. Other than that, I believe its a toss-up on dvd burning. All of the major brands do an adequate job of burning dvds these days, especially if you stick to good quality media.[/QUOTE]

Difference in price is not an issue for me,
Okay well if the blu-ray burners have no real distinct advantage when it comes to DVD/CD burning or reading, then I think I’ll stick to a combo, unless my choices are much more limited.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2539179]The combo drives and blu ray burners seem to use older tech in their dvd burning side…16x max speed for example on single layer dvds. This level of dvd burning should have very mature firmware available already. In other words, they aren’t pushing the envelope on dvd burning with these drives, and all should be fairly similar in abilities with dvds.[/QUOTE]

Intriguing, I wonder if this is the same for their CD burning/reading side?
Maybe I should just be considering 1x quality DVD/CD burner/reader & 1x Quality BD reader?
I’d rather not be locked into buying a case that [U]requires[/U] 2x 5.25" bays though.

Kerry?

Sorry for the regular bumps, just working to a tight time-frame.
Plus I think we’re in different time-zones anyway.

I do appreciate all your thoughts thus far.

I think I’ll get the SH-B123, feel like an extra drive for testing?
I can buy from a US site and have it sent to your address?
I’d want it back of course, but I’m not in any rush… :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: No thanks on the drive. Rather not be responsible for it.

Good luck with the Samsung, though I don’t think you’ll need any. Should be good for what you want to do.

I’d of course pay for all postage, but if you feel you don’t have time, that’s fine.
I saw one of the other reviewers get irritated by a users complaints that he didn’t review things properly.
He quite rightly made a few points, one of them being: "why don’t you donate your drive then?"
The complainant went silent after that :slight_smile:

Do you think there’d be other reviewers on the site that might be interested?

The reviewer probably said that just to shut up the complainer. :slight_smile: I believe the people who review devices here generally get them as loans from the manufacturers, unless they review something they have bought for personal use. I’m not a reviewer here, just a moderator.

I seriously doubt anyone would accept drives from our members for review. That would open a whole can of worms best left undisturbed. Nice of you to offer though.

Fair enough, I won’t bother asking any of the reviewers if you reckon they won’t want to.

Gah, it looks like it may have been delayed, see 4th post…

Shame, if it came out when they claimed it would…
It’d probably be the best BD reader & DVD/CD reader/burner (combo) around.

update
Actually, price search engine in my country (Australia) seems to have a “SH-B123A” (not SH-B123)
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=SH-B123&spos=3
Not a single proper review on the net though, so I’m not 100% sure whether I should jump.
Might search some local forums in case some reviews haven’t been indexed on google.

Fair enough, I won’t bother asking any of the reviewers if you reckon they won’t want to?
It’s not certain whether it’s one and the same device: SH-B123 Vs SH-B123A…

[I]Shame, if it came out when they claimed it would…
It’d probably be the best BD reader & DVD/CD reader/burner (combo) around![/I]