Nintendo says Wii U will not support DVD or Blu-ray Disc

Nintendo says Wii U will not support DVD or Blu-ray Disc.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/06/Hpzerl.jpg[/newsimage]If you had intentions of ditching your DVD or Blu-Ray player when the Wii U launches next year, you may want to rethink that plan.  In a recent investors call Nintendo president Satoru Iwata made it very clear that the system would support neither disc format.  The only format the device will support is Nintendo's proprietary 25GB game disks (and potentially the disks of it's predecessor, the Wii).

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/nintendo-says-wii-u-will-not-support-dvd-or-blu-ray-disc-47002/](http://www.myce.com/news/nintendo-says-wii-u-will-not-support-dvd-or-blu-ray-disc-47002/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Probably a good idea. DVD drive’s got hacked on the wii earlier on. If they use they’re own format, even if the drive got hacked, the technology to duplicate discs and what not, wouldn’t be widespread, which automatically gives you an ability to curb pirating.

[QUOTE=etdragon;2592824]If you had intentions of ditching your DVD or Blu-Ray player when the Wii U launches next year, you may want to rethink that plan. In a recent investors call Nintendo president Satoru Iwata made it very clear that the system would support neither disc format. The only format the device will support is Nintendo’s proprietary 25GB game disks (and potentially the disks of it’s predecessor, the Wii).[/QUOTE]

That sounds like alot of contradiction in itself doesn’t it just look at the reply? Won’t support DVD/BD but the format is the BD format 25G and the hight density is 50GB. It won’t take long for someone to reverse engineer that unit and make it read/play DVD/BD media. They must be thinking there aren’t people out there up to the challege???

And curb pirating…you got to be kidding right?? Or have you not look around on the net pirating is alive and growing…curbing just like how they curb Sony and nailed them to the wall and all their users. Yea that is really going to curb pirates and their allies hack the Wii U even more…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2592903]That sounds like alot of contradiction in itself doesn’t it just look at the reply? Won’t support DVD/BD but the format is the BD format 25G and the hight density is 50GB. It won’t take long for someone to reverse engineer that unit and make it read/play DVD/BD media. They must be thinking there aren’t people out there up to the challege???

And curb pirating…you got to be kidding right?? Or have you not look around on the net pirating is alive and growing…curbing just like how they curb Sony and nailed them to the wall and all their users. Yea that is really going to curb pirates and their allies hack the Wii U even more…[/QUOTE]

look at the 360. If its DVD drive hadn’t been compromised, it probably would of survived relative unscathed by pirates. There is a flaw in earlier consoles, but they were able to remove it with a firmware update, and all consoles made in the last 3 years can’t be hacked the same way. Both on the Wii and the 360 it was the optical drive that was compromised first. I think it at least helps, using an uncommon format to curb piracy.

From a customer standpoint though. I used (and bought) my ps3 to play blurays. I only started buying a few games for it later on. I like that I don’t have to have an extra device on my tv stand to play movies. Its limited space, the less junk up there, the better.

[QUOTE=Zod;2592951]From a customer standpoint though. I used (and bought) my ps3 to play blurays. I only started buying a few games for it later on. I like that I don’t have to have an extra device on my tv stand to play movies. Its limited space, the less junk up there, the better.[/QUOTE]
And so I won’t be buying a Wii U to replace my PS3, my primary bluray player/entertainment center/game console …
Did you notice that I mentioned game console last?
That’s because I haven’t played games on my PS3 for over 2 months … even though mines all CFW’d, and I could theoretically download and play lots of pirated games … and I actually haven’t even turned my Wii on since before xmas … not even accidentally while it was being moved while my wife was dusting … which was how the wii was turned on before xmas :stuck_out_tongue:

And Sega released the GD-ROM for the Dreamcast in hopes of stopping piracy. I guess that worked until people started taking coders cables, hooking the Dreamcast up to their computers, and transferring all of the data to CDs. It may not be as simple as that for the WII U, but I’m sure it WILL be hacked.

[QUOTE=Grim107;2593062]It may not be as simple as that for the WII U, but I’m sure it WILL be hacked.[/QUOTE]
Agree, there is no unhackable console, therfore, all Nintendo is doing is annoying their user base (and losing customers) by refusing to support DVD/Blu-ray playback. Oh yeah, and they’re saving a couple cents on DVD/Blu-ray licensing costs… Guess I’m not replacing my PS3 with a Wii U either…

But will it support streaming movie formats over a home network/NAS/DLNA device??? I could care less about native playback if it can do that. I am guessing you can count on Netflix support.

The PS3 can’t natively playback MKV files without the open PS3 media server.

[QUOTE=Zod;2592951]look at the 360. If its DVD drive hadn’t been compromised, it probably would of survived relative unscathed by pirates. There is a flaw in earlier consoles, but they were able to remove it with a firmware update, and all consoles made in the last 3 years can’t be hacked the same way. Both on the Wii and the 360 it was the optical drive that was compromised first. I think it at least helps, using an uncommon format to curb piracy.[/QUOTE]

Well as anything goes “Where there is a will there is a way” and this will most likely get hack eventually without much problem for those that make a lively hood doing so. So just saying it can’t be done is short sightless at best.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2593072]Agree, there is no unhackable console, therfore, all Nintendo is doing is annoying their user base (and losing customers) by refusing to support DVD/Blu-ray playback.[/QUOTE]

Not only that but DVD/BD are the way media are now…and how some one that sold the most Wii console couldn’t see that just dumbfounds me… :confused:

Streaming it good only if your internet is working and if you didn’t go past your allotted bandwidth. So those wanting to stream should say those works streaming carefully.