Nintendo releases firmware banning homebrew apps on Wii, DSi

vbimport

Nintendo releases firmware banning homebrew apps on Wii, DSi.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/09/n1H6V.jpg[/newsimage]Nintendo wasn’t far behind Sony this week in releasing firmware updates for their game consoles in an effort to stifle the use of homebrew applications. Unlike their competitor, however, Nintendo may have taken their customers a bit more off guard by their actions.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/nintendo-releases-firmware-banning-homebrew-apps-on-wii-dsi-34175/](http://www.myce.com/news/nintendo-releases-firmware-banning-homebrew-apps-on-wii-dsi-34175/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Nintendo has the right to do make new firmware. Fortunately most people also have the right to respectfully decline the update. :slight_smile:

I find it to be highly unscrupulous of these companies to make absolutely no mention of the “features” implemented in new firmware updates that cripple functionality of the device. Whether the manufacturer agrees with the unofficial functionality or not, they should at least disclose to their users everything that the new firmware update actually does.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2543417]Nintendo has the right to do make new firmware. Fortunately most people also have the right to respectfully decline the update. :)[/QUOTE]
Not so fast there, Mr. Belvedere. Firmware updates are often done without the device owner’s knowledge or consent. The updates are pushed out automatically when the device is connected to the internet.

Not directly with the Wii, they usually ask your permission (at least that is what I experienced, but I don’t homebrew)… I do know they added firmware updates to some Nintendo titles and the consoles updated as a result. I think it would not let you play the game unless the console was updated. Been a while.

That said, I doubt we will ever see a home/portable gaming device that promotes open development from Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, or Apple.

I haven’t played a game on our Wii in a loooong time . . . do they all now require some form of web connection for firmware updates?

[QUOTE=BradWright;2543446]Not so fast there, Mr. Belvedere. Firmware updates are often done without the device owner’s knowledge or consent. The updates are pushed out automatically when the device is connected to the internet.[/QUOTE] Without consent? I think that’s always described in the manual or otherwise notified.

No the Wii prompts you when its doing a firmware update… even if the update is coming off a game.

Usually the hackers make a safe install version anyways, that puts in the new firmware but doesn’t removed the hacked files.

The wii is broken so wide open, I don’t even know why they bother.

The second, more important discovery was that the update wiped out users installations of the Homebrew Channel and possibly other system hacks as well.

for the Wii this is incorrect. i went and read the source linked in the article and the source is also incorrect.

the Wii 4.3b update does not remove homebrew channel, does not disable the homebrew channel, does not prevent backups from running, does not prevent USB loaders and does not remove or prevent any currently installed homebrew applications of any sort.

the wii 4.3b update does install a new version of shop channel and install an unusable versions of cIOS249 and everyother IOS, one of which is IOS41. IOS41 was the IOS used by such apps as Trucha Bug Restorer. TBR is used to install a modified IOS, which are then used for everything else.

however there are other exploits available to reinstall the necessary cIOS. so the update does not actually accomplish anything significant.

the only so called “improvement” is the wii shop channel. which can be updated using other methods.

also would like to add, Zod is correct, the Wii does not automatically update. there is always a confirmation giving you the option to decline. if there is an update partition on a game disc, there is no internet connection required.