Nigerian email scam continues to thrive!

Two new flavors of the age-old Nigerian e-mail scam are making the rounds, and at least one of them appears to be gaining traction. Hundreds of victims have recently fallen for a variation that plays upon people’s misunderstanding about how bank cashier’s checks work. Meanwhile, other scammers are trying to take advantage of heightened interest in Iraq, posing as frightened Iraqis trying to move money out of that country before hostilities begin. The scam also took a deadly turn last month, when a victim in the Czech Republic allegedly shot and killed a Nigerian diplomat after losing his life savings to the scam.
IT’S LIKELY THE world’s most pervasive e-mail scam. There are hundreds of variations, but the theme is the same: a rich Nigerian national needs help moving funds out of the country. Victims are told they will earn a large percentage of a million-dollar fortune simply by offering their bank account as a temporary holding place for the money. Naturally, the thieves, who generally are from Nigeria, merely raid the participants’ financial accounts.
The scam is old and widely known, but it still works. Earlier this month, the United Kingdom’s National Criminal Intelligence Service said that about 150 British citizens had been fooled by the scam, losing a total of £8.4 million (about $13.5 million), according to The Scotsman, a British newspaper.
And the stakes can be even higher.
One victim who went to Africa to hunt down this fortune was captured by his con artists and tortured, according to the British report.
Another, a 72-year-old Prague man who had lost his life savings, allegedly stormed into the city’s Nigerian embassy last month and shot two people, killing 50-year-old Nigerian consul Michael Lekara Wayid.

Scam artists and their copycats have continued to adjust their pitch as members of the public become more aware of the hoax. The latest flavor tries to prey on what might be the lowered defenses of a war-jittery public, who might feel tempted to help an Iraqi trying to flee the country and save his fortune.
“I am brameem anu {sic}, i the son of a victim of oppression in iraq. my father was a successful businessman in bagdad-iraq, and not too long the iraqi presidential guards came into our house at about one a.m. midnight, picked up my father away, only to find him few days later, dead in front of the house,” one version of the e-mail reads. “At present we are not also safe because they believe my father has been financing the opposition group in surport of the Americans, but it’s just a way of cleaning out the few christian minority in Iraq and this is the best time to do so. we are christian and my father happens to be one of the few rich christian in iraq.”
The e-mail is clearly targeted to those who favor military intervention in Iraq.
“I want you to know that your government are actually doing a great job to see that this tyrant gets out of power. One thing we ask from you,on behalf of my mother and sisters,is to please indicate your interest in helping us secure a safe place for the bulk of our fathers funds in the bank over here before the tyrant iraqi government clamp on it.”
Participants are asked to allow $120 million to be placed in their bank account; $20 million goes to whoever does the favor.

CASHIER’S CHECKS FOOL HUNDREDS
The e-mail is an obvious fake, and it’s not clear anyone has fallen for it. But another, more complicated flavor of the Nigerian scam involving cashier’s checks has hit hundreds of victims recently.
Shawn Mosch, who lost $7,200 to this scam last year, now operates a victim’s advocate Web site. She says she gets 20 to 50 e-mails each day from victims who are being solicited by the scam. Just since Feb. 20, when she started keeping detailed records, victims have lost $54,000 to the scam, she said.
In this version of the scam, auction sellers are paid with a cashier’s check that’s worth more than the purchase price. Sellers are asked to cash the check and then wire the difference to an account in Nigeria.
The scam is now so common that the Treasury Department last month issued a warningto beware of believable counterfeit cashier’s checks issued in the name of Frost National Bank.
The checks are being issued nationwide, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency said, adding that the high quality forgeries contain: the bank’s routing number; a copy of the bank’s three horses heads logo; (and) the facsimile signature of Rebecca Huckabee.

GOOD AS GOLD?
The scam works, Mosch said, because most people believe bank cashier’s checks are as good as cash — and often, bank tellers tell customers just that.

Funds deposited with cashier’s checks are generally available much faster than funds from personal checks, generally within 24 hours. Once the money is in the victim’s account, they feel safe wiring the money, Mosch said.
“The bank says the money is good as gold,” Mosch said.
But weeks later, when the cashier’s check turns out to be a fake, the bank makes the victim pay.
“Then the banks says, ‘Remember that thing we told you was good as gold? Well it was fool’s gold,’ ” she said. Bank customers are surprised to find that even though the funds from the cashier’s check were deposited in their account, they are still liable to return the money in the event the check is a fake.

Mosch said she received an out-of-court settlement from her bank, but most victims — and she has collected stories from “hundreds” since last July, she said — are out the money.
The cashier’s check scam initially targeted those selling high-ticket items like cars online, she said, but has since expanded to many other categories, including pet sales.
Potential victims should be suspicious of any complex-sounding transaction that ultimately involves a wire transfer. The scam artist will generally try to offer a believable explanation: In one case, the overpaid check was described as a refund check from another Internet deal that didn’t work out. It’s cheaper to simply have the third party mail the refund check to the new seller, rather then to Nigeria, where it will be exchanged, and then back again to the United States, the con artist claims. Ultimately, sellers are asked to wire the difference to Lagos, Nigeria, Mosch said.

I think iam getting about 1 of these emails a day, i cant beleave people actualy fall for it, sorry, but if they do , they deserve to loose there money , simply for there stupidity. Anyone that daft shouldnt have money in the first place ! it could be dangerous !!! :smiley:

seems conditions in nigeria are pretty bad.

it was a nice country when i was there in my childhood.

Originally posted by englishman
i cant beleave people actualy fall for it, sorry, but if they do , they deserve to loose there money , simply for there stupidity. :smiley:

me too. i just delete all such mails. but, i never received a SCAM mail or maybe i have but i just didn’t read it.

@TerminatorShawn:“me too. i just delete all such mails. but, i never received a SCAM mail or maybe i have but i just didn’t read it.”

I don’t believe that I have either, but I even convert html mail to text. There are too many call home html mails. On my primary email address I have never received any spam, none at all. I only give it to people I trust though. I guess it’s where you have your email address.

well, i have concluded one thing, if you given your e-mail on websites for newsletters, registering, etc. these guys sell your e-mail address & you start receiving spam.

this is what happened to my dad’s mail. he receives 50 spam mails daily.

i haven’t entered my e-mail anywhere so, i don’t receive any spam.

I got this email as well… since about a week or so the company I’m currently working is getting more and more spame. Quite annoying… we get over 1000 emails a day (6 persons!) and more and more are spam mails…

Ah well… we are implementing Spam Asassin right now… hope that it’ll help…

Originally posted by Dee-ehn

Ah well… we are implementing Spam Asassin right now… hope that it’ll help…
Spam is annoying, even though I’m getting like 30 pcs a day and using SpamKiller and MailWasher to kill those.

Dear Sir,

This letter may come to you as a surprise due to the fact that we have not
yet met. The message could be strange but real if you pay some attention
to it.I could have notified you about it at least for the sake of your
integrity. Please accept my sincere apologies.In bringing this message of
goodwill to you,I have to say that I have no intentions of causing you any
pains.
I am Mr. Samuel savimbi, son of the late rebel leader jonas savimbi of
Angola who was killed on the 22nd of febuary 2002 . I got your email
address from network directory. I apologize if I infringed on your
privacy.
in the time I was desperately looking for a trustworthy person to assist
me in this confidential business.
my late father, jonas savimbi was able to deposit a large sum of money in
differnt banks in europe My father is presently death and the movement of
his family members (including me) is restricted. We are forbidden to
either travel abroad or out of our localities.Presently, the US$25,000,000.00
TWENTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS my father
transfered to Netherlands is safe and is in a security firm.Before you
can get access to it i have to give you the password I am therefore
soliciting your help to have this money transfered into your account.
before my government get wind of this fund .You know my father was a rebel
leader in Angola before his death My reason for doing this is because it
will be difficult for the Angolan government to trace my father’s money
to an individual’s account, especially when such an individual has no
relationship ,I decided to keep that money for my family use. At present
the money is kept in a Security Company in nertherland.
I am currently and temporarily living in Angola with my family for my
refugee status’ Moreover the political climate in Angola at the moment
being so sensitive and unstable.With this password and information ,and
will send you a power of attorney to the security firm, When you are ready
i will give you the information needed before you can get access to the
fund you will then proceed to Netherlands where the US$25,000,000.00 will
be given to you as payment.PLEASE YOUR CONFIDENTIALITY IN THIS TRANSACTION IS
HIGHLY REQUIRED.
PLEASE ALTERNATIVE EMAIL ADDRESS IS sam1an@hknetmail.com
God Bless You.
Samuel Savimbi

@pps111

is that the nigerian e-mail. so, even you received it. :wink:

No idea how much I get; I don’t count it…

Originally posted by alexnoe
No idea how much I get; I don’t count it…
Too bad ! :bigsmile:

I usually blow out the spam a couple of times a DAY because if I dont, the mailbox fills to damn quick.

And you now something, the scam is like those people that come around every stinking day and ask if I want to buy some cheap crap they are trying to sell. Its annoying.

geez last night i checked my email at about 8.00pm there was nothing there. Then i checked again at 9.00pm and i had 68 new messages all f**king spam. I don’t know how they all got me at that perticular time but holy crap that was rediculous

Haha this must be the best letter of 'em all!

i found that the more companies u subscribe to , the more spam u will get . but i am very lucky to escape all this commotion because i have yahoo account which i think has the best spam blocking . i am sorry for those people who have wasted a lot of money on nigerian crap . in my other account , i get nearly 65 spam every day , so i began to stop using it

Dear Sir,

I am Sir. Alex Johonson, the bills exchange director at a branch of HONGKONG AND SHANGAI BANKING CO-OPORATION.(HSBC)

I am writing this letter to solicit for support and assistance from you to carry out this business opportunity in my department. Lying in an inactive account is the sum of Thirty Million united states Dollars ($30,000,000.00) belonging to a foreign customer (Stanley Heard), and Chairman of the National Chiropractic Health Care Advisory Committee who happens to be deceased. He died in a plane crash on Board a small airplane that
plunged into a river in the south of France. Since his death the funds have been lying there in the bank.

To this effect, we cannot release the money unless some one applies for it as his next of kin, as indicated in our Banking guidelines. Unfortunately he has no family member who is aware of the existence of the Funds.

At this juncture I have decided to do business with you in
collaboration with the head of international private banking at the bank. To this effect we solicit your assistance, in applying as the next of kin, and then the funds will be processed and released to you, as we do not want this money to go into
the Bank Treasury as an unclaimed bill.

The Banking laws and guidelines stipulate that if such money remains unclaimed for a period of Ten years the money will be transferred into the Bank’s Treasury as unclaimed bill. Our request for a Foreigner as a next of kin is occasioned by the fact that the customer was a Foreigner and we as officials of the Bank cannot stand as next of kin.

Sir, 25% of the money will be your share as a foreign partner, while 5% will be set aside as miscellaneous. Once the funds have been claimed by you we will then get together for disbursement and investment.

Please reach me at the above email if willing to do business with us, and for father clarification. al_2611@yahoo.co.uk

Best regards,

Sir. Alex Johnson

Poor Alex … he’s a Sir , but can’t afford a decent email address. And his zpelling zuckz !

He seems to have problems with his orientation also… Or maybe he lives down under…

Above email
<email>

How the hell does someone who works for HSBC, ask you to reply back to a Yahoo account address??? Even the poor spelling is a joke. Co-oporation?? It’s Corporation!!! This e-mail is ridiculous and a five year old could have done better. There are far more devious scams out there and the only thing this e-mail is telling me is that Nigerians have got to be the most illiterate dumb fucks on the planet. AND before anyone starts bleating on about racism, I myself am black. I’m glad my ancestors were sold BY AFRICANS to white slavers as West Indians are far more decent then these scam artist scumbags. If anyone falls for this then they deserve to get ripped off.

you should get this on www.scamcenter.com