Niether CD/DVD burner works with CD-RW

All of a sudden, can’t seem to burn on either disc drive.
Everything works great with CD-R, but when I try to do CD-RW, it has to format first, then when formatting is done, it hangs up with the green light (laser?) on constantly, and says Windows Explorer not responding,
a problem has caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. Problem event name: App term failure event.

Anybody got any ideas?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

First, a possibly silly question: have you tried a different brand of CD-RW and/or burning software?

Next, do you have anything like Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools on your PC? If so, there is a settings change that may help.

I have niether of those programs on the computer.
I have tried Sony, LG and Memorex - none of them work.
When I put one in the drive, it won’t do anything until I let it format it, then it just hangs up. CD-R’s work great.
Problem is, I need to update some manuscripts that entail a lot of typeing, and I’d like to save to disc, so that I can bring them back up for editing. It won’t let me save them unless I use CD-R’s, then I can’t rewrite them.

OK, good (those programs can cause some weird behaviour with burning, which is why I asked). That rules that out :slight_smile:

What burning software are you actually using? As we’ve ruled out the discs themselves and possible interference from the programs I mentioned.

Also, what OS are you using?

OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.
When I insert a disc a CD-RW into the drive, it wants to format it, which takes an incredible amt of time. then it may say “windows unable to complete format” or it just hangs up, with the green light staying on (not blinking), and when, after several minutes it’s obvious it’s not going anywhere, you attempt to eject the disc manually, it says
"windows explorer not responding". Windows will try to find the problem, but never finds and answer.
So I am never getting to the stage of trying to burn something.

try to find the disk info withe burning program.
if it says there is no disk in the drive means the RW disk is not compatible with the drives/ or it is defective

[QUOTE=Eyecatcher;2460490]OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.
When I insert a disc a CD-RW into the drive, it wants to format it, which takes an incredible amt of time. then it may say “windows unable to complete format” or it just hangs up, with the green light staying on (not blinking), and when, after several minutes it’s obvious it’s not going anywhere, you attempt to eject the disc manually, it says
"windows explorer not responding". Windows will try to find the problem, but never finds and answer.
So I am never getting to the stage of trying to burn something.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I also use Vista Home Premium, and I’ve had the thing where Windows wants to format on both a CD-RW (once) and a couple of times when I’ve inserted memory sticks (USB). The sticks already had stuff on BTW, so it wasn’t like Windows needed to format a brand-new stick before use.

You weren’t too clear on whether you’d tried this, but for me, both with the CD-RW disc and the memory sticks, I just hit Cancel and Windows let me use them as normal. If you have tried this, why this hasn’t worked in your case is quite a mystery…

However, aside from trying the Cancel thing, have you tried a fresh CD-RW disc, new from the pack? Just to make sure this isn’t where the issue lies.