Nforce2 overclocking

I’m thinking of an upgrade of my system.

I want to get an Asus A7N8X deluxe mainboard (nforce 2 chipset), with an Athlon 2200+ and 1Gb of DDR333 memory.

As I want some speed, I’d like to overclock my CPU’s FSB to 166MHZ (DDR333!). This will end up in 2246Mhz! According to my calculations, the CPU will be a XP2700++.

Will this succeed? I want to keep everything aircooled (I’ve got quite a heavy cooling right now to keep my Athlon 1400 @ 1600 under 50C when stressed). Any experiences?

The gang at the AMD forums and at the NForce forums Have done about every conceivable overclock scenario. As best as I can tell from lurking those 2 forums, the answer is “maybe”. With the newest BIOS, (1002 final), many chips are unlocked but some have to be physically unlocked with a wire jumper. Once unlocked, you should have a full selection of multiplyers available.
I’d suggest changing the NB HS and adding a SB heatsink before installing the board. The NB has a crappy thermal pad that needs to be replaced with good paste to get decent cooling. The SB has no cooling at all, and gets pretty hot even at stock clocking. These are easy fixes when the board is out.
You can put about any HS on the processor with this board.

I doubt you can overclock your system that much.

The system is likely to be hugely unstable when doing such a performance boost on all the parts (not just the cpu).

And , your Athlon musn’t be locked.

I’ve just ordered the MSI K7N2-L motherboard. It doesn’t have IEEE 1394 (and only the deluxe model of the Asustek has that) but has an Nforce2 chipset as well. It’s a little cheaper and it performs better in Tom’s Hardware tests (yes , they overclocked it a bit). It also comes with huge passive cooling elements on the bridges.

I’ve ordered one strip of 512Mb 266MHz DDR , i don’t believe that much in memory enhancements (they never worked in the past and i doubt windows xp will give a huge leap forward).

From what i have seen with my current motherboard (A7V classic with 1.5 Gigabyte of Dimm memory and an Athlon 900) windows doesn’t even USE all that memory , no matter if you disable all paging or not. I’ve only managed to get it over 700 megabytes ONCE , during some huge Paint Shop Pro copy/paste actions. For the rest it stays at 310Meg nominal and 480 Meg max (no matter what game you play).

I hope to upgrade in steps… first put the old Athlon on the MSI and then later on buy a 2400+ or something.

I agree with Mr B. You’ll be pushing your system to the very limits with such overclocking.
It might work, but you’ll have to be pretty lucky I guess (perfect mix of other components that can keep up with the oc’d mobo, voltages,…) Memory failures might come up too (due to “leaks” because of the higher frequencies).

I know we can’t compare both types, but I’ve done some oc’n myself on my P4’s; the mobo’s run 100% stable @150Mhz (600Mhz quadpumped). When I try 156Mhz, the PC boots and runs windows, but when I start a cpu-consuming app, the system simply hangs.

Why should I have to unlock the CPU? FSB overclocking doesn’t need an unlocked CPU AFAIK…

If 166Mhz is to high, I could always put it somewhere between 166 and 133…

A nice feature of the Nforce2 is that the CPU FSB can be adjusted without overclocking PCI/AGP/MEM as well…

I know that the MSI boards perform slightly better, but since I need more than 4 IDE connections and I’ve got no PCI slot free I need to have some more IDE ports…

Belvedere: why 266Mhz memory? 333Memory is about 1% more expensive… I guess you can afford that little extra :slight_smile:
And why just 1 strip of mem? Do you intend to upgrade to 1024? With just one strip, you can’t benefit from the dual channel memory…

As explained before , i don’t believe in the memory performance boost and i wil buy another memory slot when i got the cash for it :slight_smile:

Why should I have to unlock the CPU?

some people report they cannot get lower multiplyers unless they unlock the CPU. BIOS 1002 seems to have fixed this for most people.

The system is likely to be hugely unstable when doing such a performance boost on all the parts (not just the cpu).

are u referring to pci and agp speeds? cuz the nforce2 has pci and agp speeds locked, so changing the fsb has no effect on them.

Dee-ehn, you might want to check out the XP2100. Newegg has the thoroughbred on sale for $93 and from the customer reviews they are having great luck with o/c this revision. Many customers reporting in the 2600-2800 range with no problems.

Dee-ehn
I’ve been chasing down a few bugs on this board, suggest you read up on APIC on the AMD forum and NVidia forum. You may want to disable APIC in BIOS before you install Windows. Also watch out where you install PCI cards on this board, to avoid IRQ sharing on critical components. If you’re using all the onboard functions, plus several PCI cards you will likely need APIC enabled, but if not, disabling it may prevent some conflicts.

Today my boss told me I can order hardware in the hardware shop his company buys the stuff, so I asked for some information and foound out that I can get an MSI K7N-G-ILSR for a lower price than the Asus A7N8X Deluxe! I think that’ll be my board.

I’ve read about the tremendous OC’ing results of the 2100+ as well. As I read, clocking it on 166Mhz with the original multiplier should be possible, even with standard cooling!
I’ve already found a shop (like Newegg) where they sell this nice CPU for just 105 Euro’s… So I guess that’ll be the one…

Now I just have to wait until I find somebody that pays enough for my current system :slight_smile:

I just ordered:

1 GB of PC2700 (2x 512)
1x MSI K7N2-ILSR mainboard
2x Athlon 2100+ Tbred B core

Hope to get it monday, since my system will be sold on sunday :slight_smile:

So how’s it going ???:slight_smile:

I realize you’re not talking to me, but I’ve got my XP2600 up to 12x190FSB, (2280), pc3200 DDR in synch and it’s stable but just a tad warm in the CPU. runs great.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
I realize you’re not talking to me, but I’ve got my XP2600 up to 12x190FSB, (2280), pc3200 DDR in synch and it’s stable but just a tad warm in the CPU. runs great.

I know your doing fine :smiley: I’m FastGame at the other forums, changed name long time ago except at CDfreaks…so when are you getting the 9700 ?

Was just wondering if Dee-ehn got it going :slight_smile:

[edit]= I seen that you got the 9700 pro :bigsmile: good luck !

1x MSI K7N2-ILSR mainboard

does this boad have a onchip graphics card gef4mx ?

Originally posted by Wannes
I know we can’t compare both types, but I’ve done some oc’n myself on my P4’s; the mobo’s run 100% stable @150Mhz (600Mhz quadpumped). When I try 156Mhz, the PC boots and runs windows, but when I start a cpu-consuming app, the system simply hangs.

In your case, it is not the CPU that does not handle the OC, but the motherbord. i850E chipset needs a Turbo PLL to get past 150-156MHz FSB mark. The RAM could be holding you back as well.
The CPU does more than 3.4GHz on air(good air that is), and can even get past 4GHz on phase change/LN2.
Anyway, isn’t 3.4GHz enough for you ?

As for the original question, Dee-ehn, I very much doubt the 2200+ being able to OC to 2250MHz(which is 2800+ rating BTW), with the 2200+ CPUs I had, the best OC was 2.05GHz or air.
You’d better consider one of them 2100+ TBred B AIUHB CPUs, I have one right now doing 2333MHz on air.
Plus, they are multiplier unlocked and with the A7N8X you’ll be able to play with the FSB/multiplier until you find the sweat spot :wink: