Nforce (Liteon LDW-411S)

I was just wondering if Nforce drivers could affect the burning quality? I’ve had no problems at all installing this drive and burning discs (beside the burning quality) so I was wondering if these bad quality burns could be because Nforce chipset I have?

BTW: can you tell which firmware version is best for LDW-411S? I have currently FS02 (original) and I’m thinking if I should update the latest FS0F or not?

Why don’t you just read this forum carefully? There are tons of inputs about F/W… :rolleyes:

General suggestion: Fist upgrade to FS0F before you blame your chipset.

I’m having nForce2 chipset (mobo EpoX 8RDA3) and burning like a fire! :smiley:

…and about those drivers:
I used to have M$ drivers installed, but I was not satisfied with the results so I put back IDE nForce2 drivers (from 2.03 version) last week and enjoying the output now and standing by.

I tryed to ask OC-Freak about the IDE drives (he recommend the M$ drivers), but hasn’t got any answer yet! :confused:

Thanks.

I tried to find issues concerning that firmware update but wasn’t able to find any definite answer to my question. Everybody was praising the new FS0F wirmware but if you take a look at the K-probe scans made with these two different firmwares (FS02 / FS0F) you can see the difference.

Every scan made with FS0F firmware is in the category “maybe plays ok” but scans made with FS02 look great in every case.

Maybe it’s only coincidence … but my biggest concern is to get these DVD-Videos to play in my standalone player so the firmware update seems to be only possible solution at this point.

I guess you’re mixing two things together - writing and reading ability.

Writing - FS0F generally results in better burning output than all previous firmwares. This is what affect playability in standalone players…

Reading - FS0F has worst reading ability (worst error correction). Check these threads out: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79665&highlight=FS0F+correction

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80503&highlight=FS0F+correction

BTW, I’m total newbie on these Nforce (IDE) drivers. I suppose I have very old NForce IDE drivers installed from the CD which came with motherboard.

When I look from System Properties it tells me that I have NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller (under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers) and it’s dated 13.5.2002. Is this the driver that people are referring to (when talking about nforce problems with LiteOn drives)?

Should I make some kind of updates to this?

That’s the question I haven’t got OC-Freaks’ answer!

So far I am having the same IDE driver as you are…

Now just try to update to FS0F and make some tests.

Originally posted by melda
[B]That’s the question I haven’t got OC-Freaks’ answer!

So far I am having the same IDE driver as you are…

Now just try to update to FS0F and make some tests. [/B]

I just built a new system with a Chaintech 7NIF2 MB, and it has the Nvidia NForce Chipset, and my IDE drivers are:

Driver Provider: NVIDIA Corporation
Driver Date: 11/13/2002
Driver Version: 5.10.2600.307

Originally posted by wbrooke
[B]I just built a new system with a Chaintech 7NIF2 MB, and it has the Nvidia NForce Chipset, and my IDE drivers are:

Driver Provider: NVIDIA Corporation
Driver Date: 11/13/2002
Driver Version: 5.10.2600.307 [/B]

Those look to be M$ drivers.

Originally posted by xtremeskier97
Those look to be M$ drivers.

all my drivers were installed from the provided installation CD from Chaintech/Nvidia.

But none the less, I’ve had no problems burning discs.

There are two kinds of drivers provided by nVidia … first one is a “full” IDE driver (which is not recommend - in my system - using ABIT NF7S 2.0 - Plextools Pro refused to work with the Plextor drives :confused:), the other is a “filter” driver that keeps the original M$ driver structure and adds some enhancements and the name “nVidia” to the device manager - the filter drivers work as flawlessly as M$ drivers - but stay away from the nVidia “full” IDE driver at all cost - they have not been able to fix all the issues yet.

Can you tell me which one I have since I don’t have any clue :slight_smile: ?
(NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller - dated 13.5.2002)

How do you identify which one is “full” and which one “filter” driver?

Thanks in advance!

JeanLuc said it much better than I could have said it :wink:

Basically: If everything works - don’t touch anything. Not even think about installing or uninstalling any drivers.

But with problems like this:

-Nero writes slow
-Writing fails
-etc

Get rid of that crappy nforce drivers.

Originally posted by EpiMann
[B]Can you tell me which one I have since I don’t have any clue :slight_smile: ?
(NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller - dated 13.5.2002)

How do you identify which one is “full” and which one “filter” driver?
[/B]

If you find Primary and Secondary IDE channel, then you have M$ drivers installed.
If you have just NForce MCP2 IDE Controller, this means you have the full nForce drivers.

I do have same driver version (NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller - dated 13.5.2002) and having no Nero freezing, no writing fails, no slowing down, no nothing.

But beware of IDE nVidia driver version 09/02/2003,5.10.2600.0366 :Z which comes with the last nForce drivers release (3.13). This driver makes the problems JeanLuc explains.

Anyway, follow OC-Freak’s smart motto :bigsmile:

Thanks to everybody for clearing this thing up.

Generally you may end with following drivers, depending on what drivers/udp you use:

• default M$ drivers
  • in-the-box, which are basically default + a little of registry stuff for ata133 timings
  • oldest nvidia full driver, that resides under scsi hive in device manager (v2.70) - avoid this version
  • newer full driver (v3.45), that has some minor problems like drives spining down during restart. Visible under normal ide hive
  • newest (v3.66) - as above, just newer version

From my experience - everything except v2.70 works well. It’s best to avoid this driver. With 3.45 and 3.66 I’ve had no problems at all. But if you encounter some unusual problems, just revert to in-the-box driver.