Nforce 680i Mobo/eForce 7600GT GPU?

:bow:

I want to upgrade this Compaq /1.2 AMD / 256 SDRAM with a faster Intel Processor and much more memory than I have to run photo editing software.

I am thinking about the following >
EVGA nForce 680i Sli.
Intel Core 2 Duo
2-4 Gigs of PC6400/800 Mhz
Maxtor 500 Sata HD
eForce 7600 GT DDR3
500W PSU (the GPU requires min.450W)

Now I am not a gamer,but like I said, I love to photo edit and am thinking about Video editing soon..( I'll read about Capture cards or USB, analog camcorder tapes to DVD in that Forum) So I am not looking for a master-Blaster,just something to easiy upgrade in the future, and I am not thinking about doubling my PCI-E GPU cards, so is all the above just perfect,or overkill?  I have heard that nForce 680i is a good board,compared to my three year old ECS elite that just crashed.   Thank you.

p.s. I have my old Comet ATX tower with a 350W PSU. Do you think a 500W would fit that case,or just go out and buy a new case with USB in the front. My old case ,I could remove the floppy drive and but a USB to go into that slot. I do have a case fan on side door but wondered if I should use more fans.
:cool:

Sure you want Intel?
I’d honestly go for an AMD system for that kind of use and you’ll be more than fine with integrated video. If you find it too slow (which I highly doubt) you can always get a video card later on.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H

Cheap while yet very good, HDMI out which you can use for you LCD / Plasma-TV or get a HDMI to DVI cable to use for your monitor. Very good onboard sound with digital out. Solid chipset.

CPU - AMD Athlon64 X2 5200+ EE (Energy efficient)

Very good bang for the buck ratio

Memory - Mushkin PC(2)6400 2 * 1Gb

Dont waste your money on “better” RAM, it’s not worth the extra and most overclockable RAM/low latency usually doesnt run at 1.8V which may cause compatibility issues. Mushkin memory is very good and a safe buy.

HDD: Hitachi T7K500 500Gb SATA

Very good performance, better than Maxtor, Samsung and Seagates counterparts.
Quite quiet too

PSU: Corsair HX-520W

High quality PSU made by Seasonic, modular cables. It’s way overkill to be honest but the Seasonic S12 430W is just ~9 bucks cheaper which makes the 520W a bargain.
This is also deadly silent :slight_smile:

Something like that perhaps?
I can put together an Intel system too although you wont get DVI/HDMI out with integrated graphics :confused:

//Danne

bozoagain, 680i motherboards waste a lot of energy and run very hot. I’d have to agree with dizzy, you best bet is to go with an AMD system. :slight_smile:

And you don’t need a killer PSU, this seasonic will do fine, and its top quality.

Although if he upgrade later on a 330W might not be sufficient :confused:
I can imagine it stressed quite a bit if you install lets say a X1950XT video card later on for instance.
//Danne

You AMD followers crack me up :bigsmile:

but like he said he’s not a gamer, that card would be a waste. There are plenty of other cards that aren’t power hogs. That 330W seasonic is equivelent to a POS 600W PSU. :smiley:

I’d bet that 95% of computer users don’t overclock their systems, an AMD system is a far greater value for the everyday user. Gamers can spend the extra cash on a better video card. INTEL is overpriced IMO, however the July 22 price cuts might put a X3210 Xeon in my system :smiley:

Hi All! Thanks for the links and the suggestions…DiiZzy said “it’s not worth the extra and most overclockable RAM/low latency usually doesnt run at 1.8V which may cause compatibility issues.”

Are you suggesting that I DO NOT get the 4-4-4-15 and tio get the 5-5-5-15 latency speed? I have heard that AMD is better suited for graphix than the Intel,but I may be wrong.
I was all set the the Intel config listed above,but I do not want a Hot Board,and after going to the Gigabyte site and looked over the GA-MA69G-S3H, the reviews say this runs hot. Ohhhhhhhh…what to do. :-{) There are tons of ways to go on this…just want everthing compatible…That Gigabyte board is only 88.00 on newegg as popposed to the EVGA 680i for 250.00…what a difference. Thanks again

How about ASUS MoBo’s? - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131013

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103773
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131013
Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

There’s the US$40 Celeron L based on Conroe core. :slight_smile:

Over 95% computer users worldwide don’t overclock and don’t even need dual-core or quad-core processing powers and that’s the market where Intel is still far ahead of AMD. AMD has nearly always been driven towards the performance-oriented enthusiast user market that willingly spend a little more on more effective coolers and fans just to overclock usually on higher voltages.

I have AMD 65nm Brisbane, AMD 90nm Venice, and Intel 65nm Cedarmill here. I also had Intel 65nm Conroe, the 6350 version, but sold it because I thought it’s better to wait a little longer for 45nm 4-core and 8-core processors. For now, even Pentium 4-M 2.2GHz seems to work very well for most of my purposes.

That ASUS MB is overkill and doesn’t have onboard video. How about this Biostar board:

That 3.0GHz windsor is probably overkill, but I’ll give you the go ahead on that one :wink: .

Whatever you do, don’t get the 680i board!

The Gigabyte board is perfectly fine for you, why getting something else?
I’d rather have ATi-chipset than nCrap unless you have a very good reason.
Do you really need a faster CPU than 5200+?
//Danne

Even people who buy INTEL know value lol :
taken from newegg review of “Intel Celeron 440 Conroe-L 2.0GHz” (the fastest “L”)

Pros: This is a very decent performer, but it is way too expensive for what it is, and though it overclocks well, the stock HS is mediocre and makes overclocking impossible because of thermal issues. by the time you get a decent HS you have the price of a much better CPU.

Cons: I used this to build a system for someone who just had to have a CPU based on C2D tech but didn’t want to pay for a C2D. Whatever. For the same price you can get a low voltage Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz. No comparison: the X2 definitely loses to a real C2D in virtually every benchmark, but it smokes this thing and comes with a real HS. Also, the guy I built for bought a 965 board – which even at budget is pricey. For the same money I could have gotten an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz and a very decent AM2 board.

Other Thoughts: This is decent, but as stated it is really overpriced. If you can afford a real C2D you should definitely get it. It is no secret they are the best CPUs out there. If you are looking for cheap and good you need to go AMD. AMD was pricing their CPUs at the same price as C2Ds that everyone knew were better performers. Now AMD has dropped prices so radically that for budget builds X2 is it. Excellent performance, even in Vista, for the price of a single core Celeron. Not even close from my standpoint.

Thanks to all! I do appreciate the posts. It really comes down to preference and price. I have heard that INTEL is far better suited Graphics and AMD with gaming,then just today I heard that in reverse. I am not a gamer,just want to run Photo/video editing software and play with my music. Maybe a newer ATX case with room for expansion,(USB on front) Onboard Graphics with maybe a geforce 7600 or 8600GT just in case the onboard fails. Someone suggested two hard drives, Raptor for the O.S. and a Maxtor SataII 500g for the Huge Video/Graphics/music files. Thanks again!

Intel and Amd both are excellent for music/surfing/editing, intel has an edge on gaming currently. For what your looking for, AMD has the best value, you would save around $200.

A raptor HDD is a total waste of money, also Maxtor is currently owned by Seagate. Any Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung SATAII HDD is the way to go, you can get one drive thats 500GB (around $100) and you’d be set.

If you really want a video card, then consider this 7600gt, its got stellar reviews and has a nice rebate now: $75

Agreed, Raptors are a waste of money…
There’s no current need for a video card, get one later on when you really need one.
//Danne