Nexxtech dual layer discs

I just came back from buying a 15-pack DVD+R DL discs; Nexxtech is the brand. I’m trying to burn something but after 4 tries, I keep getting burn failures with power calibration error. I’ve tried Nero 7, CloneCD and ImgBurn. All same results.

But when I burn something using CD-R or DVD-R discs, same brand; Nexxtech, every single burn is successful. Is it just a shoddy DVD+R DL brand for these discs? I never used this brand before for burning DVD+R DL discs.

I used to use Memorex DVD+R DL discs and those burned fine. My DVD drive is NEC DVD-RW ND-3550A.

[QUOTE=daftshadow;2214815]Is it just a shoddy DVD+R DL brand for these discs?[/QUOTE]
:iagree: The only reliable brand of DVD DL media is Verbatim.
Nexxtech is only buying and rebranding low quality cheap media from China or Hong Kong.

Thanks for the reply. It turned out that the NEC DVD drive totally didn’t like the Nexxtech DVD+R DL discs. Go figure… hehe.

With nothing to lose, I tried them on my laptop which has a Lite-On DVD drive. Viola, burned successfully. But the thing that puzzles me is why do the other Nexxtech blank media formats work fine except for the DL on the NEC?

But my next purchase for DL will be Verbatim. I’ve heard you should only get the ones made from Singapore since they are best quality…? Any truth to this?

[QUOTE=daftshadow;2214944]But my next purchase for DL will be Verbatim. I’ve heard you should only get the ones made from Singapore since they are best quality…? Any truth to this?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no, at first the MII DL discs were pretty crappy and only the MIS discs were worth buying but a few people
will say that the MII discs are just about as good as the MIS discs are now that they have had time to get them right.
If I had my choice as to where the discs came from that I was buying it would probably be the MIS discs but if you’re
buying them on-line you never really know what you will get most of the time unless they are willing to tell you up front
if they are the MIS or MII discs which most etailers will not do. :disagree:

@ daftshadow

[QUOTE=
But my next purchase for DL will be Verbatim. I’ve heard you should only get the ones made from Singapore since they are best quality…? Any truth to this?[/QUOTE]

I have tried most DL media available to us here in the US on oh so many different burner reviews and without a doubt the Verbatim’s are the only ones I would trust my data or movies on.