Nexus 6, Nexus 9 formally announced, bring Android 5.0 Lollipop in tow

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Nexus 6, Nexus 9 formally announced, bring Android 5.0 Lollipop in tow[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/10/Android_Robot_200-95x75.png[/newsimage]

New Nexus devices are coming out, and as is typical for Google, a new version of Android – 5.0 Lollipop – is coming along for the ride.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/nexus-6-nexus-9-formally-announced-bring-android-5-0-lollipop-in-tow-73155](http://www.myce.com/news/nexus-6-nexus-9-formally-announced-bring-android-5-0-lollipop-in-tow-73155)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I love my Nexus 4, and in my opinion it has the perfect size screen for a phone at 4.7 inches. The Nexus 6 with a 5.9 inch screen is far to big for my tastes. So I guess when its time to upgrade the Nexus 4, I’ll need to look for something else.

In fact I’ll probably wait and see how the Nexus 4 runs Android 5. If it runs well I may hold onto the Nexus 4 when my contract runs out in March next year, and go for a SIM only plan instead.

Under other circumstances, I’d probably consider a Nexus 5, but its lack of a removable battery makes it a non-starter for me. I’ve softened on my requirement for a MicroSD card slot (it’s no longer as important as it once was), but a removable battery is still a solid requirement. If/when I finally upgrade from my Galaxy S3 (for which I have a ZeroLemon 7000 mAh extended battery for trips and long weekends), I’ll only consider phones with removable batteries.

I also agree with the size being too big. My Dad got a new Kindle Paperwhite 6" and I cannot imagine carrying that about in my pocket even without the bezel around the screen. I already have a 7" Tablet (Kindle Fire HDX) for when I need a bigger screen on the move.

It looks like the Nexus 6 has taken on a premium price also with the lowest capacity 32GB model expected to retail at €569. So much for the Nexus being a premium range phone at a mid range price. :doh:

I also think 6" will be too big for me. Currently have a Nexus 5 and it has been awesome so far. Excellent price for an excellent device. Since I have it, I don’t even use my tablet anymore, since the Nexus does so well.

The Nexus 6 also breaks with the cheap pricing. Nevertheless, I do want to physically hold it and play with it until I rule out I will get it (someday ;))

TBH I’m more than happy with my Nexus 7 and there’s no prospect of me changing soon.

One of the best buys I’ve (err my wife) has ever made!

[B]Wombler[/B]

I have a G3 and at 5.5" for the screen I wouldn’t want anything bigger. For most things I do with it the size isn’t a problem but occasionally working it with one hand can be difficult when having to access the very top of the screen. LG did do some nice tweaks to the OS that manipulates the keyboard, number pad etc. to be easily offset to the side of the screen making it easier to manipulate with one hand. The new iPhones have done the same. My guess is that Google has built in something similar with the new OS on this phone.

Or maybe they will release a mini,like Samsung did on some of it’s Galaxy S series…:bigsmile:

The Nexus 9 looks nice, but I’m more than happy with my Nexus 10, which blows away my old ASUS Transformer TF101 in terms of performance and features (the screen alone is definitely leagues ahead). In fact, the TF101 is just sitting around collecting dust; I need to find a use for it. Perhaps my wife could use it with the kids in her preschool class. :slight_smile:

The N6 screen is too big for me. 5.5" is the max I want . Will have a look at the new Moto X when it get released where I live…

If I was ever changing I think 8" would probably be the ideal size for me.

There’s the odd time I’d like the Nexus 7 to be slightly bigger but for portability reasons the small form factor suits me ATM and I don’t want a full size tablet.

[B]Wombler[/B]

One phone I’m going to try getting is the OnePlus One, as it has a very nice 13MP camera that’s impressive at the pixel level (noticeable over the iPhone 6/Plus) and 4K footage with picture quality that blows away still photos from my current phone.

The main thing that put me off has been its invite-only ordering process, but it will offer a 1-hour window next Monday to pre-order without invitation, so will have a go at ordering assuming the site doesn’t crash.

I’ve heard very good reports about those Seán and seen at least one good magazine review so definitely worth checking out.

The invite only thing is a definite pain though. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

The following are cropped screenshots from the sample videos posted on GSM Arena of the OnePlus One, along with one from their iPhone 6 Plus review. The 4K YouTube video is 19Mbps, so needs a fast cable or fibre-based connection to play in 4K, unless downloaded (I used 4K Download.)

Order: OnePlus One in 1080p, 4K (played downscaled to 1080p) and iPhone 6 Plus in 1080p:

The only thing missing is optical image stabilisation.

The Nexus 6 also does 4K video and has optical image stabilisation.

While I don’t plan upgrading to a 4K display or TV anytime soon even if I get the phone, the additional resolution will provide better cropping ability when downscaling to 1080p.

The colours and saturation in those look good as well.

[B]Wombler[/B]