Next weeks ads (5/11/08 US)

[QUOTE=ripit;2055387]I guess they figure mothers day is not an office supply/electronics buying holiday or something?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. :iagree:

[QUOTE=ripit;2054952]On a side note but along the lines of whats on sale (the purpose for this thread), has anyone noticed any good deals on nas enclosures (cheap ones that actually work). Unfortunately, I think those are incompatible terms (cheap and actually works). I got a network usb hub, but the transfer speeds are horrible (1-2MBps at best). I would like a hardware solution to transfer files from computer to computer (HUGE files), and am at the point that I am going to try a bluetooth file transfer??? I know about setting up a file server (and actually have parts for another computer or two), but the knowledge is beyond me so I’m looking for something that will work for an idiot (I’m not stupid but am stupid when it comes to networking).[/QUOTE]

I am not really sure about what you are looking for, but here I found one pretty cheap and company is not based in China:p
Here is the link http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10054&siteSection=specials&productId=140610&cmArea=CLEARANCE#desclink
And best thing is you can always return if you don’t like it because it’s Staples.
Hope it works for ya;)

By the way how many computers do you have?
Have you tried to connect all into router and netwroked all those computers and share files via ethernet? That is what I do at home wirelessly (using wireless N) with 4 notebooks I have and it is much faster and convenient(wire free) than using USB. Unless you want HD available thru internet outside your home or has many computers accessing files at the same time, it is better to network each other than using HD file server.

I just got this Toshiba 320GB Portable drive for $123.83 inc. tax with 12% coupon. Man this one is finger print and dust magnet. It is worse than WD Passport Glossy black one because this one is not just glossy on top, but all around. But it does look good and fancy.
Worst part is it is Made in China, not Thailand which WD do and they make good one.
I will try it since Toshiba and Samsung’s notebook HDs are good, but who knows what will happen.
But damn it looks elegant, I love the look.

[QUOTE=negritude;2055058]You are experiencing a once in a lifetime situation. Enjoy it. There is no office supply store on the planet where those things would happen with a real manager in charge. No one else reading this thread should get it in their head that they are going to experience anything even remotely like you have.

Basically, Office Depot clearance is mostly dead. In the old days, we could track clearance items easily on a national level and get great deals, simply by being patient. Those days are over. You might luck upon something now and then, but for the most part, it’s a waste of time.

Also, Office Depot regularly rejects the use of competitor coupons. They are much tougher on coupon usage than either OfficeMax or Staples. It is all purely at the manager’s discretion, and it depends on the store. Office Depot has no corporate policy on this, so they don’t have to accept anything. Once again, some might get lucky, but a whole lot won’t. Don’t waste too much on gas driving around trying to test it.

[/QUOTE]

Yea, I didn’t mean to imply that most would be able to get so lucky. In fact, I think that is why they had so much stuff they needed to clearance (the old manager was hard core stingy about marking stuff down).

As far as coupons, it claims on their website that they take competitor coupons according to the terms on the coupon

"Does Office Depot accept coupons from Competitors?

Yes. Coupons are accepted in-store only. Acceptance of coupons from the Competitors is subject to the terms and conditions listed on the coupon"

I have had to print that out and argue with them about the terms on the coupon before, so like you said, ymmv.

[QUOTE=SOCALUS;2055848]I am not really sure about what you are looking for, but here I found one pretty cheap and company is not based in China:p
Here is the link http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10054&siteSection=specials&productId=140610&cmArea=CLEARANCE#desclink
And best thing is you can always return if you don’t like it because it’s Staples.
Hope it works for ya;)

By the way how many computers do you have?
Have you tried to connect all into router and netwroked all those computers and share files via ethernet? That is what I do at home wirelessly (using wireless N) with 4 notebooks I have and it is much faster and convenient(wire free) than using USB. Unless you want HD available thru internet outside your home or has many computers accessing files at the same time, it is better to network each other than using HD file server.[/QUOTE]

I already got one of those neatgear units (clearance at office depot for 50$) and returned it. It would have been perfect had it worked right but it has a serious bug. If the unit thinks the drive installed correct but it didn’t, there is no way to recover. Further, it can loose the drive after time, and again, there is no way to recover. I spent days trying to get it to work (I really would have liked to have it). The main thing that made me return it though, is even if I had got it working, it can still loose the drive down the road, and as the format is proprietary, there is no way to recover your data. After days of reading on it, I gather it has serious drive compatibility problems. IF you get a drive it likes, it works great, if not, nightmares (and there is not drive compatibility list that I am aware of).
Newegg has these on clearance but the reviews seem bad too.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164201
Anything I have found that has good reviews and seems to work well seems to always be at least a few hundred dollars.

On a side note, I have 2 computers right now (4 if I ever get around to building them from existing parts) and they are wirelessly networked. I have got them setup where I can share files over the network (read only) but I need to be able to transfer files back and forth (basically move stuff like captured video from the bedroom to the htpc in the front room). I have yet to figure out how to actually move files.
The usb hub by the way is a network usb hub (plugs into the router and shares devices with all the computers on the network).
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=184576&WT.mc_n=4&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4
It works very well with one exception, the transfer speeds are very slow (about 1MBps). I have a 300gig usb drive attached to it but it takes forever just to move a few gig from the back computer, to the usb drive, and then to the front computer.
I wish I could figure out how to use software and just transfer files across the network but so far no luck (it won’t let me write files on another computer).

Here is the really weird thing. This thread got me thinking about it, so I tried again and can now fully share one drive on each computer. Its kind of weird changing those settings never worked in the past (I know, probably user error but I changed those same settings and it never worked before)? I’ll have to check it out further after work (keeping my fingers crossed).